Author Topic: side stand  (Read 2397 times)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
side stand
« on: 24.07. 2009 21:11 »
ive got a side stand on my bike which i think needs sorting
there is half the brakit  attached to the frame weldid on with the two holes in
the other half when bolted up to the frame brakit seems to have a large
gap between the two halves and i think its this what caused the bolt to snap
do you think i should put some spacers between the two halves so it doesint put two much stain
on the bolts when the side stand is used

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: side stand
« Reply #1 on: 25.07. 2009 08:59 »
Perhaps the stand was meant to be used on a bike with smaller diameter frame tubes. The spacers would help but you need to deliberately overload the stand to make sure it really is safe. I fitted a pattern side stand to one of my Beezers and it was very bendy. Some of them are even made of cast iron and can snap off like carrots.

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 25.07. 2009 17:20 »
did the bolts break at one point?

I have a random after market stand that came with the lug and backside clamp, but my frame still has the original backside welded to it, (even tho the frame tube is a little dented from someone dragging it over whatever snapped the original stand off).  The new stand has threads in it that I didn't have bolts for, so I ended up using a smaller diameter of the hardest grade steel bolts I could get and bolting thru both brackets.  I try to check it often to hopefully catch it before one breaks, but I haven't got the bike on much of a lean (good for reducing stand stress, but dangerous for uneven surfaces as it almost wants to fall sometimes)

If your bracket fits the curvature of your frame, but just doesn't meet flat to both sides of the welded part, I think that is much better than having a gap around the tube where it doesn't match the arc.  at least the directional forces are along the length of the bolt, not across...

the spacer idea may be helpful on the upper side, since that is receiving compressive force while the bottom is experiencing drawing force, as it is now with no spacer I bet you're basically resting on only the bottom bolt when the bike is on stand, and the top one just holds the stand on while you ride.  I'd just be careful not to force it out too much and put cross wise stress on the lower bolt, but putting a spacer on the top would probably be a good idea! (not that I'll have much chance to use it myself, but I should too)
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 25.07. 2009 21:53 »
thanks for advice i will take it onboard

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 27.07. 2009 06:57 »
I think most of the side stands are cast, as are the centre stands,

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #5 on: 29.07. 2009 18:14 »
I have experienced similar probs with an after market side stand. The casting looks large compared to the original bracket which is welded to the frame so obviously it doesn't fit  to that. using Both parts of the after market stand, no matter how hard I tighten up the bolts (even to the point where the serations on the inner part of the two clamps mark the frame!) it doesn't fill me with confidence. At the last MOT I got an advisory that the side stand was loose! again. My bike is stripped right down for a frame paint job at the moment so it would be a good time to get the side stand fixed properly. Any one know where copies of the original, smaller bracket, side stands can be obtained.
Regards Huddie

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 29.07. 2009 18:25 »
I vaguely seem to remember that C&D Autos were having some centre or side stands made up to original specifications. It might be a good idea to give them a call; I don?t think they?ll be cheap though?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #7 on: 29.07. 2009 19:36 »
Thanks LJ I will give them a call tomorrow, Regards Huddie

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 29.07. 2009 20:20 »
 I  bought a C&D Autos side stand in about '94 (?). It's great. It came with some sort of metallurgists report stating what it was made of. I recently replaced the bolts on it and a friend added a blob of weld as it was getting a bit wobbly, but then it has seen almost constant use *smile*
Cheers,
Iain

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30.07. 2009 04:10 »
I recently purchased a side stand from Burton's in Eng. In their on-line catalogue it has a picture.
I wasn't jumping up & down when I received it, it's pretty rough cast, & the 1/2 bracket is cast
as well, I smoothed the stand out & re-painted, fits & works O.K. though, about 75 pounds I think,
they have new old stock here in Australia for about $350 (Woh!!!)
One thing I did when fitting the bracket was wash it all down with wax & grease remover & piped
on Sikaflex to the inside of the bracket to fill every gap, my frame was slightly pinched from a
previous stand. Sikaflex dries very hard but stays partially flexible & is paintable, also I thru
bolted the frame, the threaded holes were a bit tired.

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project