Author Topic: inner timing case  (Read 608 times)

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
inner timing case
« on: 19.11. 2018 01:23 »
well what can I say ,a timing case with rev counter drive has sold for £188 *eek* ::hh:: , I have an original on the bike and got another one built up with weld and older brother machined it to the originals spec. I might be seen at jumbles buying up inner cases and converting them *work* *woo* *shh*

Offline Daithi

• Moving Up
Re: inner timing case
« Reply #1 on: 01.12. 2018 01:04 »
£188 is mad money. I'm trying to build an engine from a box of bits and so am at the mercy of ebay for parts. No brit bike shops or autojumbles about my neck of the woods unfortunately. Buying items one at a time plus postage on each one and not being able to check the quality is a pain in the gonads. Forking out for  new items like cams pistons, rods or bearings is one thing, you know what you are getting and can be reasonably sure of the price and quality. Buying secondhand of cranks, cases or heads is a lotto.  I'm keeping a tally of my spending but the cost of fasteners alone is not looking cheap. *sad2*
Dave

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.12. 2018 18:23 »
Hi Dave,
I have a couple of std inner cases and also a good set of crankcases if your ones prove past it
I was the underbidder on the rev counter
case and could do with a nice original one

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Daithi

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 01.12. 2018 22:56 »
Thanks John. Looks like Berger might be getting is first order!
 Hopefully I won't need take you up on your kind offer but I really appreciate the gesture. You know how seldom parts come up for sale in these parts and as I have been out of the bike scene for so long I have very few contacts still riding.
I know I bought my box of "bitz" with my heart rather then my head and I should have saved up and bought a runner but it was a spur of the moment thing and I do enjoy the spannering.
At the moment I'm reconditioning my cases and have ordered a micrometer to measure the crank journals. (I hope there not shot.) All going well I will find a machine shop to grind everything into shape, including me wallet. I gave SRM a shout for a quote and got a prompt response and a serious shock. *eek*
Dave

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.12. 2018 06:50 »

.....I know I bought my box of "bitz" with my heart rather then my head and I should have saved up and bought a runner but it was a spur of the moment thing and I do enjoy the spannering. . ..

I think you did use your head.... the benefit of doing it from ground up is you know what you have and can trust it,  unlike a full 'restoration/ rebuild' from unknown seller, and if it goes to shit, you can ok only blame yourself....

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia