Author Topic: What is it (breather on tappet cover?)  (Read 3642 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: What is it (breather on tappet cover?)
« Reply #60 on: 27.12. 2018 12:18 »
I am all for supporting vendors, But dont get so wrapped up stepping over a penny to spend a dime.  There is a variety of breathers that work quite well and motorsports compatible without buying a Binford 1000 model.   The unit that came stock on later model HD sportsters and Buells works quite well, and used on a variety of cars and motorcycles if you cross reference the part number.  The metal one on the link Musky provided is a common variety as well and IIRC is specced for lawn mowers and Yamaha ATVs???

Rex was commisioned to fix a HD breathing problem.
Not sure if their breathers  are part of his work or not but he was getting royalties from quite a few companies.

As for auto PCV valves, brake check valves, duck bill valves, even BSA's own preunit flapper valve, they all work to some extent and some better than others.
But none of them work all the way from idle to valve bounce.

Just like end fed cranks, you don't have to do it & for most BSA owners the side feed through the main bearing will be good enough.
So weather you need one or not will depend upon your particular bike, your riding style and your ego.
If some oil leaking out the rocker box covers and a lot more from the various orrifices does not bother you, and it does not bother me then the bike will be fine just as it is.
After all it is your bike & you are entitled to fit or not fit whatever you please.
However they do work and they work much much better than anything else on the market.
The research, facts & figures are all there and if you can't be bothered to go through the 500 pages of blog, then you can buy the book.
The early one has all of the details & research results & to be quite frank is a difficult read
The second was a distilled version of the first with the information most 1/2 competient owners would need to fabricate their own.
The only thing he did not give away was the brand of the only material tested that did not suffer from resonance.
The M20 for instance is fairly well oil tight to about 4000 rpm.
After that it covers everything behind it with oil.
But peak torque is around 3600 so there is little use in valve bouncing it.

There are a lot of things that can affect both breathing & the amount of oil that is expelled.
A customer had course to run his new Triumph at & over redline for extended periods.
When it was safe to continue on, he got about 5 miles before the engine locked up solid
Why ?
Because ring flutter had pumped the entire contents of the sump out the exhaust pipes.
Indeed as we were pushing it up into the van, oil poured out of the muffler.
We thought it must be a cracked head, but the head was fine, the gaskets intact but the head was coked worse than a WWII tractor running on kero.

BSA knew the flapper valve did not work particularly well which is why the Gold Stars got the timed breather off the magneto drive and eventually the tacho drive as well
However right up till the B31/33 series got replaced by the C15/B40 the flapper valve remained on the road versions.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #61 on: 27.12. 2018 13:08 »
musky I was referring to your---you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink bit, which you mentioned in the previous breather post of that year. I thought you might have remembered and put it in again on purpose . Well chaps thanks for the information and links -stored for easy finding again--- it gives me a lot to think about and when the time comes the engine will be getting a breather mod and some sort of rubber mounted head steady, something else to keep me awake at night

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 27.12. 2018 16:12 »

Two duck bills would do for road riders.
Cheers

Why stop at two!

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #63 on: 27.12. 2018 16:48 »
Er, where do you put the duck bills?  No, GB, not there *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #64 on: 27.12. 2018 23:44 »
Hi Berger,
and some sort of rubber mounted head steady

This post shows how I made a rubber bushed  head steady

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2912.0

Where have the years gone *eek*
I made the first one somewhere around 2000-2002,

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 28.12. 2018 01:26 »
I like it john comes up trumps again *contract* no patent yet is there?, so that is the way to go and I can go to bed thinking about all the other 99,999 things to do *roll*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 28.12. 2018 10:32 »
When I managed to shear off the 'tab' on the front lower mudguard stay, I found an old bracket from the shed, wrapped some old inner tube round the inside, and belted it all up - do I qualify for a cookie?? Ref: #bodge-up No.46 (apologies again to the purists).  I have now got a spare stay for when I wreck it again. *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 28.12. 2018 16:25 »
I have not been to the pub AGAIN 7 days *dribble* *eek*,just one question as regards the rubber bush mounting to you wise and enlightened people *respect*, as it will be fixed in the featherybed would it be any advantage to mount the brackets holding the bush directly above the engine ie vertical, or to one side as the bsa frame mount is located.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #68 on: 28.12. 2018 19:11 »
G'day berger.
Getting a bit off topic but fore and/or aft, not vertical.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 28.12. 2018 19:53 »
I managed one day Berger ol' son.  Best get down there and reassure the publican you're still with us. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250