Author Topic: Crusty Flash update...  (Read 1345 times)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Re: Crusty Flash update...
« Reply #15 on: 04.01. 2019 15:21 »
Hi Golden Boy.

A very nice project may i say. Just one thought about upping the gear ratio, it's much easier to increase the engine sprocket rather than the gearbox sprocket then that doesn't alter your speedo ratio . I would only go up one tooth possibly two maximum. You don't want to give the clutch a hard time.

Keep up the good work.

ELLIS

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 04.01. 2019 16:12 »
Golden boy / Uncle D - I recently rebuilt my GF (new d/side bearing, turned crank and new t/side bush to fit, rebore, new cam + followers, new valves, springs, guides & seats etc) and am still running it in, but concur that 50 / 55mph is where vibration starts. Not monumental, but unpleasant enough that I wouldn't countenace a long journey above that speed. Revving it higher (as high as I dare, mindful of the old alloy rods) didn't get past the vibration period. Like yourselves, I do not intend stripping the motor again just to balance the crank though, if I did, I'd make it adjustable so that in future the balance factor can be altered without an engine strip - a trick I learned when building one-off engines where the balance can only be a guess to start with. I believe Musky has altered his factor for racing. Apparently that gives bad vibes low down, but presumably is smoother higher up where it will spend most of its time (did the same with my Weslake). Presumably a compromise (with slightly rougher tickover) would better fit the bill. But then I'm happy to poodle along enjoying the bike. It only gets annoying when you want to sample the power and give it a bit of a blast.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 04.01. 2019 19:01 »
Similar experience here with A10 vibes, so a gearing change was tried.

Raising the gearing by 2 teeth to 23 at engine sprocket on my SR gave it smooth running to 60 mph but sapped the power for mountain riding.
I'm seriously considering pulling the engine down for a dynamic crank balance this winter.
Seems a bit crazy, it runs perfectly, doesn't burn oil, almost oil tight but....I don't use it much because of the vibes above 60 and general lack of power.
I contacted SRM and they told me that for this bike, late Westcoast SR with 357cam and 9 to ones, they would balance at 58%.
I know the standard number is 54% however SRM has a lot of experience here, so I will go with that number but use a local shop for the dynamic balance.
Last winter I pulled the almost new engine on the 1360 Vincent apart for dynamic balance. With the dynamic balance and a bf change it has gone from a nearly unrideable vibrator to a comfortable all day rider at any cruise speed up to well past legal.

Glen