Author Topic: btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: btinternet, bigpond email
« Reply #15 on: 17.07. 2020 20:58 »
Yes bigpond is still rejecting some emails from another forum I'm on. Some come through but others don't  *dunno*
No troubles here since changing to gmail for this forum and faceache.
Thanks for info \ confirmation.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: btinternet, bigpond email *do not use*
« Reply #16 on: 24.07. 2020 22:04 »
A reminder and warning, for members and for guests trying to register, @btinternet still killiing email reception.

Sent from the forum are registration \ activation emails, pm notifications, new posts notifications, legitimate emails that BT will not allow to arrive at destination due to using their defective, outdated and flawed 'suspected spam' filters.

Over months and years dozens or hundreds of your emails, from many different legitimate sources, may \ will vanish without a trace. BT is not informing their customers in any way about the practice.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
Re: btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*
« Reply #17 on: 29.07. 2020 22:33 »
unfortunately i am with btinternet but the latest is to charge for your domain which youve been using for a decade and would be  sad to lose.

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #18 on: 30.07. 2020 02:36 »
I'm with bigpond and using Outlook to read my emails, I have never had a problem in the many years I have been with bigpond.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #19 on: 30.07. 2020 09:13 »
Reverse here I cannot sent to BT addresses from my personal domains, they never arrive, same email has to be sent from my spare  outlook address to get there.

1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 30.07. 2020 09:16 »
^^^ See Muskrat's earlier post on the matter.

Over time, vast amounts of forum emails adressed to members have been randomly mishandled by these 3 companies, blocking comes in periods. Never a problem with the dozens of other email domains used by members here.

Sometimes the emails go through, sometimes they just disapear or bounce back with the scientifical note of "suspected spam". No notice issued to intended recipient.

And it's a pain from this side, f.ex. new member's activation emails not delivered, periods with my inbox flloded with bounced emails (post & pm notifications). I do my best to contact affected member's by using my personal email, forwarding blocked emails if they come to my attention.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 30.07. 2020 09:24 »
Reverse here I cannot sent to BT addresses from my personal domains, they never arrive, same email has to be sent from my spare  outlook address to get there.

Yep, 100% related to the type of (defective) blocking\filtering bt (and bigpond, aol) applies to outgoing mails from the forum.

What makes me very angry is any complete disapearance of emails, no bounce, no spam folder, only annihilation with no notice issued. In this day and age this should not happen, emails form legitimate sources should be 100% reliably delivered\received.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 30.07. 2020 10:32 »
I use both Yahoo and Gmail. I find Gmail nowhere as user-friendly as yahoo. But then again yahoo goes down occasionally, sometimes for nearly a day - that's why I have Gmail as well. Guess nothing's perfect.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 30.07. 2020 10:44 »
In context, received today after fixing a new member registration (failing due to aol killing emails).

Thanks very much up and running now,
Much appreciated you sorting that, I have given up on previous forums due to lack of support.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 30.07. 2020 10:45 »
I use both Yahoo and Gmail -\- Guess nothing's perfect.

Yes, always some dislikings here and there. But history and experience at least shows these big email services do not randomly delete\block emails due to stupid whims and suspicions (contains a link?? Must be spam. Delete.)
 *rant*

They use reliable (professional, expensive, updated) filtering and blocking systems that actually works, contrary to some other setups (usually the default domain email thrown into the bucket of services after ordering an internet connection).

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 30.07. 2020 11:57 »
no real problem with BT here (uk) but just as well as it's BT or nothing as only BT will use our fibre to premises (other providers wont take on the costs for limited rural use) and to go back to copper is to go back to 2 mb from 100 and using another Email client is extra cost.
A month or so ago we did experience  emails taking ages to load and often just stuck loading never completed, we tried using Chrome instead of Firefox with no change, then I got a message from Windows about a new version of their browser "Edge" so tried that and emails loaded in just fine, I have now migrated from Firefox to Edge and like it, takes a while to transfer passwords and so forth but I now find Edge quite sleek, simple and no problems loading in email at all, would recommend anyone to give it a try
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 30.07. 2020 13:26 »
It doesn't matter who your internet provider is, you can still use another mail service.

I've been using Gmail with my BT lines for something like 15 years. I download the Gmail app on my own devices. When I'm using another device I can sign in on the Gmail Web site.

Gmail has excellent Spam filtering.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 30.07. 2020 13:48 »
Gmail has excellent Spam filtering.
Never a problem there. Just approved a new member today, gmail user, registration \ activation mail from forum arrived no problem, all done in minutes, membership completed, member looged in.

With bt, aol, bigpond, it can take periods of days sorting out meaningless trouble, due to, well, "mail being burned at the post office, some uneducated junior AI clerk determining which to burn and which deemed deliverable".

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 30.07. 2020 15:54 »
I've been using Gmail with my BT lines for something like 15 years
I have Gmail GB, yes I could put the Forum on there right enough, I have only a few bits and bobs on Gmail, I think I kind of thought long time ago of it as suspect (due to Google ) but maybe today with browsers (and add on's ) giving more control over tracking that's not so much of an issue - might look into this when I've time - time a bit of a mystery the more I have of it the less I get done?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 30.07. 2020 16:49 »
I've set up a shortcut on this Android tablet that takes me straight to the forum web page, so it's just like an App for the forum.

On my desktop PC I have my favourite links at the top of Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Last time I tried Edge, it was dire!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash