Author Topic: semiunit plunger A10 cases for sale  (Read 838 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
semiunit plunger A10 cases for sale
« on: 14.12. 2018 01:00 »
I came across a set of bare bolt up A10 cases, incl gearbox on a local auction website that no one seemed to want. As these are getting hard to find; I bought them as we had a club member really struggle to find some a while back.
If anyone needs a set, the only case missing is the outer primary. feel free to PM me
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: semiunit plunger A10 cases for sale
« Reply #1 on: 16.12. 2018 19:49 »
I'm going to try and get these up to me by the new year and will post further details. Have had two PM's and yes will consider shipping to the US if not too prohibitive. Don't currently know year of or exact state of. But would be great to see them back on the road. NZ parts have often seen a hard life compared to the US stuff which is typically usually mint, so I expect to see some stripped threads. So don't get too excited. Would prefer to see them go into getting a bike back on the road rather than just become spares...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.03. 2019 02:35 »
The cases are now in my possession so I've taken some pictures, they are a matching set BUT are typical NZ cases so have had a hard life and will need some repair.
Hopefully the pictures are self evident. I havent photographed the gearbox cases and assuming the engine is probably the main thing wanted. Its all available.
I had several PM's and happy to treat with priority as received if the members still interested.

My engineer is a very capable alloy welder if you need that dealing with

New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.04. 2019 06:15 »
They are going back on the shelf until someone needs them
New Zealand

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 15.04. 2019 22:12 »
They are going back on the shelf until someone needs them

Always amusing to me how picky some people can be, and adverse to repair, I hope these can find a home, but my advice is time permitting, recondition them, then charge the appropriate price.  I become despondent when I see so few willing to do the work themselves and turn up their nose at unobtainium components because it requires some effort to recondition. :!
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.04. 2019 23:07 »
You're not wrong, while they are clearly not NOS, the damage is all superficial and readily repairable. looks like a nut or similar ended up jammed in the cam tunnel, but the cracks and damage are minor and repairable. No welded up major holes from a rod breaking free!
I had been thinking about setting up a pre unit twin as a display piece with no internals ... a semi unit display piece would be more compact  *doubt*

New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.04. 2019 23:22 »

....Always amusing to me how picky some people can be, and adverse to repair, I hope these can find a home, but my advice is time permitting, recondition them, then charge the appropriate price.  I become despondent when I see so few willing to do the work themselves and turn up their nose at unobtainium components because it requires some effort to recondition. ....

My Plungo is mostly made of bits like that, and only bits that were essential for function have been repaired to some degree- I built it to ride

Eg; I salvaged the front fender from a bin in the 70's and have straightened it out twice now  *work* *bash*  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 15.04. 2019 23:36 »
I've got a spare set of cases & crank stored in the shed... Just in case...   *doubt*
& hope I never need them.   
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"