Author Topic: How to get an Altette horn exchange or repair  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
How to get an Altette horn exchange or repair
« on: 18.12. 2018 00:04 »
Josef's bike has a Lucas Altette which needs both cosmetic and functional refurbishment. It has a short circuit internally somewhere and makes no sound when 6V are applied though there are sparks at the terminals. Do you know a place who might be interested in doing this?

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
Re: How to get an Altette horn exchange or repair
« Reply #1 on: 18.12. 2018 03:40 »
Some just need adjusting... put power to it, Undo that lock nut on rear and adjust with Cheese head slot with screw driver... Sometimes the contact in there has gotten dirty and stops the vibration (which makes the noise).

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 18.12. 2018 05:09 »
Taff the Horn is the man

http://text.taffthehorns.com
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.12. 2018 07:05 »
Josef's bike has a Lucas Altette which needs both cosmetic and functional refurbishment. It has a short circuit internally somewhere and makes no sound when 6V are applied though there are sparks at the terminals. Do you know a place who might be interested in doing this?

Not an answer to your question but lots of info here https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13278.0
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #4 on: 18.12. 2018 08:49 »
Taff the Horn is the man

http://text.taffthehorns.com

Taff the Horn is brilliant, done a few for me in years gone by, he can talk the hind leg off a donkey though!!
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.12. 2018 17:14 »
taffthehorns' website seems like it's having trouble. No images coming through for me.

Richard L.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 18.12. 2018 17:26 »
He may advertise in Old Bike mart and puts adds in their wanted section as well, he can chat.

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 18.12. 2018 17:36 »
If you ar stuck, they are rugged and simple things so you should be able to repair it. Give it a good clean up and try adjusting the make and break contacts as previously suggested. The paper gaskets may have disintigrated but you can easily make some more. They need a good battery to work as they draw a lot of current.

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 18.12. 2018 19:05 »
Thanks for the replies, I  see Taff gets a lot of praise.
But there are brand new Lucas horns available too:
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/6-volt-lucas-altette-replica-horn.html
Any experience with these?

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 18.12. 2018 19:44 »
Thanks for the replies, I  see Taff gets a lot of praise.
But there are brand new Lucas horns available too:
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/6-volt-lucas-altette-replica-horn.html
Any experience with these?
Got one on the plunger. They are ok. Paid € 120 for it.
Really good quality, sounds good but still are repro so if you want it to be original it may be more interesting to have the original restored. Up to you.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Flashgreubon

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 18.12. 2018 20:01 »
Hi , i have a genuine Lucas Altette for you in working condition, the chrome is very good but the black paint in the back needs doing.
E120 + postage .i can email you pictures if you want.
cheers.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.12. 2018 20:14 »
Don't touch that lock nut or adjust the centre screw.
This should be set initially to give the desired armature movement.
The adjustment is done firstly under the dome nut on the front and fine tuned with the small screw on the rear.
This is for this particular model.
However, this is all academic if someone has been there before you and had a play.

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 18.12. 2018 20:43 »
The adjustment is done firstly under the dome nut on the front and fine tuned with the small screw on the rear.
However, this is all academic if someone has been there before you and had a play.

Oh heck I played with it on the bench tonight and the first thing I went for was the lock nut and screw. Got it to work too, sounds like an angry bullock. Yes, bullock. Not two of them. Flushed with success I then tried to strip the unit and came to a full stop when trying to unscrew the nut on the front underneath the big dome nut. It won't shift, and I'm a bit wary of forcing it since it sits in the middle of a delicate-looking diaphragm. Now that I have already sinned, I want to go all the way. I'm leaving the central front nut dripping with plusgas overnight in the hope it will yield to my desires in the morning. Which model have I got? Can you tell?

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.12. 2018 21:05 »
It is an HF1234 from about 1952 on.
You don't need to remove the diaphragm nut to get into the innards, better if you don't, it saves you having to get it into the right position on reassembly.
You will need to loosen the pushrod in the centre of the armature, you really need a special tool to loosen the lock ring first.
The armature assembly will slide from under the points arm and can be lifted out.
Give the points a good clean and check for continuity with a meter, they can be difficult to get really clean with a good low resistance.
Fit new gaskets either side of the diaphragm and reassemble. The gasket thickness is not critical on this type, unlike the earlier ones.
The next step is to set the armature travel. It needs to be about 0.010" with a good loud click as it hits the pole which is adjusted from the rear via the threaded section and locknut. The pushrod has to be backed off or not in place while doing this.
After the travel is set, adjust the pushrod to get the best sound. Fit the dome nut and fine tune with the rear points adjusting screw.
Simple.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 19.12. 2018 03:29 »

Oh heck I played with it on the bench tonight and the first thing I went for was the lock nut and screw. Got it to work too, sounds like an angry bullock. Yes, bullock. Not two of them. Flushed with success I then tried to strip the unit and came to a full stop when trying to unscrew the nut on the front underneath the big dome nut. It won't shift, and I'm a bit wary of forcing it since it sits in the middle of a delicate-looking diaphragm. Now that I have already sinned, I want to go all the way. I'm leaving the central front nut dripping with plusgas overnight in the hope it will yield to my desires in the morning. Which model have I got? Can you tell?

Further to what Trev said, once the nuts around the edge holding the bezel and diaphragm the diaphragm will come out, but has to be slid over in one particular direction first. It helps to know which direction of course, from memory you slide it in the direction AWAY from the terminals. If you look at some pics of ehe internal you will see why, the piece held on by that centre nut “interlocks” with the contact breaker.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts