Author Topic: Con Rod Oil Hole  (Read 2974 times)

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
Re: Con Rod Oil Hole
« Reply #30 on: 14.12. 2018 21:10 »
hi guys, yes john we now have additives that allow an engine to run without oil for a very long time without damage, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #31 on: 15.12. 2018 14:42 »
hi guys I went to the pub and pondered *countdown* , so thankyou for all your input and to those who dug out some script --- merry Christmas. the rod will be getting the HOLE *thanks*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 15.12. 2018 19:18 »
G'day fellas.
I'm rebuilding my 83 CB1100F at the moment. All four rods have a hole pointing rearwards. Each big end journal is fed by the adjacent main journal. So even Mr Honda thought it was a good idea.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 15.12. 2018 20:16 »
hi guys, Musky that is surprising maybe Honda's have much better oil pumps, cheers 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #34 on: 15.12. 2018 22:45 »
G'day kiwipom.
Yes very good. Holds 80psi all day at my speeds *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline stev60

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 17.12. 2018 07:05 »
   I have pondered this over the years. If you consider the bearing shells need to be supported to the maximum degree on the thrust side  of the rod this would mean the locating tabs would be towards the front of the engine. Positioning the rod like this means the hole points towards the flywheel. Is the hole necessary? Well if there is a hole it is there because of some engineering consideration in the past. Is it effective? Who knows? In all honesty a 3/64" hole flashing past a 1/4" hole for a nanosecond ain't gonna pass much oil.  To lubricate the bores, overflow from the timing bush onto the crank cheek may do the timing side, but most oil will come as overflow from the cam trough, onto the flywheel and up the bores. Perhaps this is why we have the hole as a back up on cold start up, the timing side overflow lubricating the right hand cylinder.

Of far more importance is the area where to oil exits the crank on the big end journals. When new the oil hole in the crank was at the bottom of an oval shaped cup, machined into the journal. While this reduces the total bearing surface by a small amount, it has the effect of allowing a wider film of oil to be deposited on the shell surface. As the cup is in effect conical, those who did Calculus will be familiar with the relationship of surface area to depth, typically demonstrated by an old style Martini or Babycham glass. There is a huge reduction of surface area for a small reduction in depth. So, as the crank is reground, each grind removes more of the available surface area for oil
 to be spread across the shell. Also when you get your crank back it is treated with care, we avoid touching those journals.  But in fact the grinding process has left the oil hole with a razor sharp edge, ready to gouge a neat groove  in the shell. so if you are having a crank done, reinstate the cup with a Dremel Grinder first, get the crank ground and then make sure the edge of the oilhole has a nice smooth  lead onto the journal surface. I consider this to be a better way of improving oil flow.

The Glyco Bearing Website has a wealth of information about crank grinding, journal polishing and bearing selection. After reading it you will wonder whether your  grinder really knows what he  is doing.       Swarfy.
I cant comment on the hole but the advice one dealing with the cleanup after regrinding is obvious and important , its basic standard practice but not always done, being in engineering most of my working life, ive seen the results.