Author Topic: SRM oil pumps?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: SRM oil pumps?
« Reply #30 on: 26.12. 2018 22:07 »
BSA_54A10

That was just an observation and not a criticism. Please accept my apology i didn't mean to offend.

Merry Christmas to you all.

ELLIS   

Ellis.,
I ride BSA's so
1) you could not insult me if you tried
2) no offense is ever taken at anything said to my face
3) I have a sense of humour ( note the spell chequer won't accept the u in humor ) that includes self deprecation in spades.

So no worries.
The offer to edit my galleys still stands.
I have not had the luxury of a sub editor since I stopped writing for Reed and that was in the 90's

On the funny side.
Directly after school I went into the SMH proof readers test with a bunch of mates, as you did in the days when people were more important than property.
At the start we were told only those with a 100% score would get one of the 30 positions on offer.
Stage 1 was a strait spelling test, you got a new word every 15 seconds
about 1/2 the applicants had left after the first 10 words
By the time the whole 100 words was done there were about 50 of the 300 odd applicants left.
Then we went to the observation section where we were all given a galley about a meter long in a variety of font sizes printed in 1/2 tone ( draft ) on slightly yellowed print stock.
we had to mark up , but not correct , all of the spelling & grammar errors with a blunt purple pencil.
2 minutes were allowed for this and by pens down there were only 9 people left , including me and we were all offered positions.

Apparently speed & self confidence were more important that actual accuracy.
Some where in the box of self stuff is the letter of acceptance as a copy proof reader, I kept it for the fun of it.
And yes, Russ got the job and he stayed with the SMH for 40 years .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 27.12. 2018 03:08 »
Hi Trevor.

I must confess my printing qualifications pales into insignificance after reading what you have done. I will give you a wave as i pass over Australia on the 25th of January on my way to Auckland.

Cheers

ELLIS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 27.12. 2018 04:02 »
Good one Trevor.
You said "left", meaning they thought they were out and left of their own accord. You and 8 others bluffed your way through. Right?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #33 on: 27.12. 2018 05:46 »
Yep,
got up and walked out.
I was going to UNSW the following year and had a full time night shift + 2 weekend jobs so I did not need another and the starting pay rate was not real good.
When Russ told me what they had to do I could understand the need for speed.
No time to check a dictionary , you really had to inspect the individual galleys as they were presented before the type was set in metal.
The subbies had to retype the entire galley then send it off to the print shop.
No time for a second reading except for the front few pages of each section.
And in those days the Herald was a broadsheet and a very thick one . There were up to 6 time editions plus local & international variations
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 28.12. 2018 23:39 »
Hi All,
I came across this photo of a BSA single oil pump (on ebay)
It shows how the mazac alloy can rot and crumble away  *sad2*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 29.12. 2018 01:49 »
Hi John, Judging by the appearance of the steel fittings, it has lain outside in the weather for about 40 years.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 29.12. 2018 08:54 »
Well my oil pump looks perfect in comparison. It’s been quite a discussion, I think I’ll keep the old pump for the time being. Thanks for all your relevant views
Steve

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #37 on: 30.12. 2018 01:57 »
Well my oil pump looks perfect in comparison. It’s been quite a discussion, I think I’ll keep the old pump for the time being. Thanks for all your relevant views
Steve
Or at least until the engine seizes up, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 30.12. 2018 07:21 »
Well, if I can put it on straight, and it returns oil to the tank, likelyhood is that it is supplying it to the engine too. And Josef is not planning on doing many miles with the bike, and certainly not at the limits of its performance. I have discussed your concerns  with him, and we decided on balance he'd rather spend the £300 elsewhere.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 30.12. 2018 09:39 »
Don't forget the thin fibre washer under the nose of the pump.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 30.12. 2018 15:16 »
Hi All,
The fibre washer fitment can be the cause of all sorts of problems *eek*
If a new or prefaced pump is being fitted
The washer should be the same thickness as the gasket, but even so the fibre is much harder than the gasket paper
Resulting in strain/ more distortion of the pump body, and more leakage *ex* *ex*
The gaskets in the usually supplied kits are a poor fit at best *sad2*
I make my own gaskets to closely match the oilway, andwith an extension to match up with the third fastening
So the thickness is equal across the joint

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 30.12. 2018 16:26 »
I agree re the gaskets/fibre washer.

I use an SRM gasket prefering not to make my own. Fits perfectly and oil holes line up and are the right size.

The photo shows 3 different gaskets;

Top left taken from a new old stock BSA made gasket set. It fits and holes line up.

Bottom the SRM product, the large hole being for the ball bearing seating against rear of the pump.

Top right is a real worry. Being sold by a number of ebay sellers. Oil holes too small and dont line up properly resulting in reduced oil flow and risking your engine.

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #42 on: 30.12. 2018 21:22 »
I agree re the gaskets/fibre washer.

I use an SRM gasket prefering not to make my own. Fits perfectly and oil holes line up and are the right size.

The photo shows 3 different gaskets;

Top left taken from a new old stock BSA made gasket set. It fits and holes line up.

Bottom the SRM product, the large hole being for the ball bearing seating against rear of the pump.

Top right is a real worry. Being sold by a number of ebay sellers. Oil holes too small and dont line up properly resulting in reduced oil flow and risking your engine.

Went straight to SRM webshop and bought one, thanks for the tip. ;D

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #43 on: 03.01. 2019 13:43 »
Tried to fit the BSA pump only to find the housing so distorted I had to counterbore the casting to get it on over the studs. The joint face is warped, not sure if the nice SRM gasket can take all that up. Also the pump (as previously mentioned) almost too stiff to turn by hand. So I have asked Josef for clearance to buy an SRM. Just look at how the casing has squashed down.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 03.01. 2019 16:42 »
Steve,
     If you want to play with your original pump, the way that works for me is to reassemble  the gears one at a time selectively adding gears and checking for binding. Sometimes moving the gears to ensure the high  spots never meet is all you need. I drive the gears with a slotted rod, not the drive spindle gear. I tighten the four bolts gently to make sure the gears still turn OK.  Then add the proper drive spindle gear...if it is tight in parts, take it out, rotate half a turn and try again. If all is reasonable, finally tighten the  bolts, turning the drive gear and flexing the body and nose casting as you go, tightening and turning to check for binding. You should end up with a reasonable pump.  The pump can be hard to fit if the mounting studs are slightly bent or bowed.

Your pump body is far better than most at this age, so don't be to hasty in scrapping it. An alternative for you is to trade it against a recon pump, available from several UK Suppliers.

Swarfy.