Author Topic: Frankenstein tacho set up.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Frankenstein tacho set up.
« Reply #15 on: 31.12. 2018 06:04 »
I had my Mag done at Zochys...   Aus Post managed to returned it broken, I contacted the owner & he replaced the broken part.. free of charge.. & it hasn't skipped a beat in 4 years..   *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #16 on: 31.12. 2018 07:57 »
The mag can be converted OK, but there is a little bit to do.
Change of end-housing at the cb end as mentioned;
change of camring for one with notches in it to allow for movement and to fit the operating plunger (you could mod the ring that's there, but probably need to polish / relieve the outside of the ring to get it to be a sliding fit not a tight one);
extract and refit bearing outer race into the manual housing;
buy AR cable and gubbins;
maybe have to find different cb end cover depending on type of housing sourced. The only sort that makes remote kill/ stop button difficult is the end with the alloy dome fitting with metal button - other types used on twins have the facility for a wire to go to 'bars. Even one of them can be converted to use a brush and spring in an insulated sleeve, with a wire off.
This can all be done with the mag in situ on the bike. But if it's coming off for a general checkover, then all well and good and a complete new bearing could be fitted at the same time probably, with the armature out.
With the manual set-up on an A, you might need to change the front HT pick-up if it fouls the AR cable entry. The usual 45°-angled pick-up (if it's got one of them) isn't deeply-enough cranked for clearance - a vertical one will go on, just, and there are cranked ones available, though their quality isn't always too special.
Then you need your fixed gear - there were some neat alloy ones out there at one point (SRM I think), probably still are - and a non-Frankenstein nut for the tacho drive.

The most expensive thing there would be a replacement manual camring if you went for new, so I'd mod the old one if it's any good. Dremel or similar fine grinder and steady hands or bench fixture to enlarge the notch that limits movement, and then to make the V slot for the cable plunger. They do have to be in the right spots, or it's TROUBLE. Elongate the notch that's already there to about 10-11mm long to provide retard only - ie to allow the ring to rotate clockwise from where it currently sits. Then set the ring to the middle position of its new-found movement and mark it at mid-point of the range of movement of the plunger. Cut V slot. That way, the plunger won't slip out of engagement at full A or full R. The eccentric pin can then be used for fine tuning if necessary - to get the points to open just after the relevant flip point of the armature at full advance.
Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 31.12. 2018 09:29 »
Bill, another greatly informative piece!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.12. 2018 20:12 »
For the Aussies, Zochy is now relocated to Harrington, N.S.W.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 01.01. 2019 07:23 »
I had my Mag done at Zochys...   Aus Post managed to returned it broken, I contacted the owner & he replaced the broken part.. free of charge.. & it hasn't skipped a beat in 4 years..   *wink2*

Yep, Peter Scott said to me,'Package the magneto up with ample padding so Aus Post can kick it around a bit!'
59 Super Rocket 

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #20 on: 01.01. 2019 21:54 »
Well I took the first step on the quest last night.

My most immediate concern was the effect the resistance from the tacho drive was having on the engine as it was was bodged up to the ATD.  As it was intended for a tractor and was not reversing, it had the least inherent value of all the components and so had to go.  I could not extract the gears (to only leave the casing in place) so got out the Dremmel and cut off the drive paddle (yes, I have fallen to the bodgy dark-side).  She now sits in place (along with the tacho and cable) and looks the part but is not interfering with the timing.  Not the ideal situation as I do like things to work properly, but a good step along the way .

I can now search up the correct tacho drive (65-9164) and modify the mag in my own time which are going to be significantly challenging and costly steps.

Thanks to all for your feedback, thoughts and suggestions.

Northern Territory, Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 02.01. 2019 02:13 »
G'day UncleD.
I have a spare alloy pinion and tacho drive nut if you want to borrow/use & replace, if you want to go further.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #22 on: 03.01. 2019 00:23 »
Put 40 miles on her yesterday with the ATD uninhibited by the tacho drive.  Chopped the plugs when I got to the gate and was pleased to find both plugs burning evenly if perhaps a fraction lean.  Previously the right plug was noticeably sootier than the left.  I have a gasket and jet set for the carb waiting to go in so will lift the needle a slot also.

I have a noise /vibration between 60-65mph that I need to locate and then attend to the point gaps /timing in the current mag so have plenty to do before considering changing to a manual mag to accept tacho drive.

I also have a parcel waiting for me at the post office which I suspect are SRM sumps for the A10 & A65...and the Harley is on the stand waiting for new points and advance retard mechanism which should be here Friday.

...and I have a week left of holidays!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 03.01. 2019 02:14 »
UncleD,

I went back to see a picture of your bike. OK, it's not a bitsa and apparently came from the factory with a tach. I understand your wanting to stay close to original, that said, there were lots of original models that left the factory without tachs. I do not have a tach on my '55 swingarm. I never feel like I need one to know when to shift. I have no intention of challenging some published redline, and think I can tell when I'm revved as high as I want on the engine I toiled to buirld. I think my engine runs quite well on its ATD timing and would not want to lose it. So, even though Groily has provided fantastic step-by-step instructions, my advice as the owner of a bitsa Road Rocket and a '57 A7 (also without tach) would be to remove the non-functioning tach and drive from your bike. Plug the tach hole in the timing cover using the prescribed cover and wired-safe bolts. Replace the instrument bracket for a single device. Keep the ATD and don't modify your magneto for manual advance. OK, I hear you. You want the tach. So, you could do as I advise and leave it that way until real serious engine work is necessary, and we all know that's in our futures. In my case, being cheap, scheduling of the work would include waiting for all the parts to come along at the right price.

Prepared for admonishment as necessary.

Richard L.

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #24 on: 03.01. 2019 03:10 »
I'm pretty much of the same mind Richard. 

I have a 67 Thunderbolt (no tacho) but really like the look of both instruments on the S/R...however don't need it at all for riding so at this stage I'm happy with it being there just for looks.

Maybe in time I will convert the mag etc so that the tacho is operable however I am not made of money and my priority is to have the bike running and riding at its best so there are a few other jobs that will come first (like rear brakes that actually work)!

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #25 on: 03.01. 2019 08:22 »
I think you're very wise Uncle.

I've got tachos on one or two machines, and apart from looking very pretty, they're not that useful really in ordinary road use. How often (if we're not called Musky!) do we go to 6K+ rpm? Does an A go that far (twice!) anyway? - I've never tried on my low compression engine with no extra goodies like a better oil pump, end-feed crank, etc. 
I only ever want to land somewhere in the middle of the torque curve on upward changes - and that doesn't need full revs on a cooking motor.

The chronometric tachos - I have one on a Notrun 650SS - are slow to react to fast throttle movements anyway I find (compared to the magnetic jobs I've got elsewhere). And accuracy isn't guaranteed either. They do look good, I so agree, but the drive boxes cost an arm and a leg . . . 

The only machine I thrash to within an inch of its life hasn't even got a tachometer (and it would scare me if I saw how often it hit 7000 in second). But that's an AMC twin (I know, I know, there are those that hate them - but I love them after 43 years with one or more in the shed). Knocks the spots off yer average A  . . . until, that is, you come to a  . . . bend.
Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #26 on: 03.01. 2019 09:24 »
Yep, just hold it flat till it stops gaining speed then change up a gear  *eek* *bash*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7