Author Topic: Do I need to retension head studs?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline tilly

• Active
Do I need to retension head studs?
« on: 05.01. 2019 09:21 »
I after some advice on the need to retension the head studs on my A10 following a rebuild. I’ve fitted a copper head gasket and used copper head gasket spray.  I was told to get the engine up to temperature and then to retension it once it has cooled down. Is this necessary?  It is a pain in the proverbial to remove the rocker box again, and don’t want to do so if I don’t need to.
While I’m asking questions, is the rockerbox meant to be so difficult to fit?  Mine is a very hard interference fit with the top of the valves when trying to lower it on. What’s the trick for fitting? It seems that I have to clear the exhaust valves first, but the use of studs rather than bolts to retain the rockerbox makes this difficult.
Any and all advice gratefully received!

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Do I need to retension head studs?
« Reply #1 on: 05.01. 2019 09:42 »
G'Day Tilly

Far easier to remove the rear rocker box studs, lower the box on from the inlet side, down past the springs and push it forward to clear the exhaust springs. If it still fouls  the front studs may have to come out. Fit the pushrods, settle the box and then use your gynaecologist skills to re-insert the studs. Some ruffians use Whitworth hex head cap bolts, or even cut a screwdriver  slot in the stud.  I have seen boxes with indents cut to clear the springs, but this narrows the  seal area for the rocker cover gasket.

I would be inclined to leave the head alone, get some miles in, see if it leaks.  If you gave it a good bit of tighten, sleep easy.

Well done for getting it back together.

Swarfy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 05.01. 2019 10:18 »
G'day tilly.
If the copper gasket was annealed (read sot enough to mark with your thumb nail) and the copper spray it should be good to go. I only re-tension if the rockerbox leaks  *whistle*.
The alloy head rockerbox's are even harder but I've never had to take the studs out bar the top rear tappet cover stud. It has flats on it to help removal. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes, sometimes hours!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 05.01. 2019 15:23 »
I have removed the head 3 times during ownership - never bothered re torqueing and have had no leaks. Never done it on my other bikes either. Maybe if the rocker box wasn't such a pain I would.

Good luck
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.01. 2019 09:51 »
For me; annealed copper gasket. 20ft/lbs first then back off and retorque to 35ft/lbs. I've never gone back in to retighten.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.01. 2019 16:08 »
Well I learnt something there. I thought re-tightening after a few heat  cycles was a given.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 07.01. 2019 17:18 »
The reliability of a once-only tightened head gasket probably has an inverse relationship to how hard the engine is worked. Mind you, if Musky doesn't retighten, that theory goes out of the window!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 07.01. 2019 17:52 »
I don't re tighten, if it was a two stroke I would cause it's easy.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 07.01. 2019 18:04 »
I always retighten after about 250 miles from replacing the head. Read it in the instruction book many many years ago and it has always worked for me. Usually find one or two bolts need just a little more torque.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.01. 2019 19:22 »
A compromise approach is to check the head bolts you can get at after a heat/cool cycles, if any of those have loosened off significantly *problem* take the rocker box off and check the rest.....I DID’NT have to the rocker box off mine  *beer* and it’s been fine.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.01. 2019 13:27 »
I think ... When Roger did mine for me he used a heat gun to cycle it a couple of times and then re-tightened as required before putting the rocker box on at all.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 08.01. 2019 14:36 »
I believe a common place for these ( and Ariel ) heads to blow is btn cylinders and  down the p/rod tunnel, is probably caused by only the outer head bolts being re-tightened. I know its a pain having to remove the rocker box but worth it for peace of mind. 

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 08.01. 2019 15:32 »
The reliability of a once-only tightened head gasket probably has an inverse relationship to how hard the engine is worked. Mind you, if Musky doesn't retighten, that theory goes out of the window!

I make my own coppergaskets, special for every barrel from 0,8mm copperplate.
A light grease with HTL Silicone, and I never retight any bolts over 4 yaers hard work with a racebike.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #13 on: 08.01. 2019 22:27 »
For me; annealed copper gasket. 20ft/lbs first then back off and retorque to 35ft/lbs. I've never gone back in to retighten.

Graybeard says to torque to 35 ft lbs, as does Haynes manual.  On alloy heads only torque to 26 max of 27 ft. lbs. so as not to distort the head, and cause leaks.  My 62 RGS I torque to 10-then 20-then 25-then 26-27 for final.  One heat cycle, with 2 foot box fan blowing across fins, then let it sit overnight, then remove R. Box  and you will find at least 2 that are too low in torque.  Usually in the middle where the push rods go down to the followers
    Could someone explain here how a heat gun could qualify as a heat  motor running heat cycle, do not see how it could heat evenly enough at same time, over the whole motor.
   When I was torqueing my alloy head to 35 ft. lbs. as per Haynes manual I kept getting leaks between cylinders, and push rod tube, since using 26 ft. lbs. have never had a problem, and the last time I  did it was 11 years ago.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.01. 2019 22:52 »
Very interesting

I have to replace my A10 head gasket when I return from little Norway (still on board Norwegian ship)

What is and how do you do a heat cycle ?.....

Enquiring minds and all

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6