Author Topic: centre stand spring  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
centre stand spring
« on: 14.01. 2019 06:54 »
I know  this is a hoary old subject but I just can't get enough  pennies to sit stably within the coils in order to get sufficient lengthening to put the spring on. My method is to hold one end of the spring in a (nice big) vice and bend it to and fro until I can slip a penny in somewhere. But as the number of pennies increases so too does their propensity to slip out again while the spring is bent.

All suggestions gratefully received...

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: centre stand spring
« Reply #1 on: 14.01. 2019 09:43 »
 Steve... See if there is any appreciable distance between the stand pivot and the spring mount on the stand when the stand is either raised or in the lowered position, you need to be able to stretch the spring the least distance.

Then its a case of hooks, levers and bars to get the spring eye into place.

Far easier to make the stand the first job of any rebuild... Plunger Stands wear their top ears and also the flat area of the frame lug where the ears settle with the stand down, resulting in the bike lowering itself slightly as the stand comes to a stop. Then you have to lift the bike to get it off the stand. An unworn stand and a nice undamaged area for the stand to come to a stop makes getting on and off the stand a whole lot less physical.

With the bare frame upside down, easy to fit the spring, put a thin bar through one stand pivot hole and use the leverage afforded by the stand to line up the holes and insert the first pivot, then the second.

Bit late now but if someone can hold the bike while you unbolt the pivots, you could try that.

Swarfy.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.01. 2019 10:04 »

Steve- I think wozz wassa-or is that it was Wozza  *conf* asked the same thing not long ago if you do a search you'll maybe just come up with a headache.....I discovered the spring is shortest (to my surprise) when the stand is down, and I used a flat narrow gemmy bar type tool slid through the bottom of the spring and under the lug to get it in place...was easy-peasy when done, but now the top bit of my spring has broken off and is now totally bodged up so can't actually replicate the procedure....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.01. 2019 11:45 »
Looking at your picture I wonder if you could slide a motorcycle tyre lever through the spring loop and tuck the end under the stand lug. Press down on the end of the lever and persuade the spring to slide off the lever and onto the lug. Might need another pair of hands. Oh, and maybe gloves and safety glasses. Good luck!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 14.01. 2019 11:50 »
I got shown how to do it with a screw driver. It looks and sounds very risky but is actually quite easy and works very well. Hook the spring over the shank of the driver then put the tip of the blade on the spring perch and lever it so that you can slide the spring down (if t doesn't slide itself) the shank and on to the perch. Works best with a phillips head as a flat blade gets wider at the end.
NZ

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #5 on: 14.01. 2019 22:34 »
I used a stack of penny washers - the trick is to slide them in alternate sides while holding the spring in a vise so you do not put too much of a curve in the spring and they all fly out.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #6 on: 14.01. 2019 22:56 »
I used a stack of penny washers - the trick is to slide them in alternate sides while holding the spring in a vise so you do not put too much of a curve in the spring and they all fly out.

Jim

I found the easiest way for mounting a center stand spring is to take the pivot rod out of the bushes, then hook the spring on to both perches, (spring hooks )  then tilt the center stand up on an angle enough to get the very end of the pivot shaft back in far enough to catch the end of the hole for the center stand, then just pivot the stand up on that , and slide it on through.  (WELLA ! ! ! !  DONE DEAL )  You can also use the end of an auto brake spring installer with the cut out cupped end so the spring does not slide off and put your eye out, or tear some skin, or go across the shed never to be found again in the stored junk pile.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #7 on: 14.01. 2019 23:56 »
I know this came up awhile ago but could not find it, this is what I did to over come this problem "see pic" stretch the spring out load it with washers (can't afford penny's) release it from the tool and fit the spring, work the stand up and down, washers fall out, all good.
I used 5/16 screwed rod a bit light so use 3/8.
a bit vague but you get the idea
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.01. 2019 02:43 »
Buy one of these; cheap as chips and can be used for all springs (sidestand, brake shoes, centre stand, etc).

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-spring-puller.html

If you buy two, you will have a present for a friend thats cost bugger all; he will think nice thoughts of you next time he puts a spring on with ease.

Great range of useful tools at affordable prices; for example:

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-piston-ring-tool-set.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-chain-cleaner-brush.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-piston-pin-puller.html

Quick to ship; recommended supplier.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.01. 2019 09:19 »
Buy one of these; cheap as chips and can be used for all springs (sidestand, brake shoes, centre stand, etc).

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-spring-puller.html

Didn't Laurence Olivier have one of those in 'Marathon Man'?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.01. 2019 09:34 »
We just bought a trampoline for the kiddlers. It came with one of those tee-shaped spring tools. So, just buy a trampoline.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 15.01. 2019 13:04 »
I bought one from Amazon in August as an add-on item for £2.76... just about to use it to help to re-attach my centre stand spring this weekend! (Silverline 416746 Headlight Adjusting and Brake Spring Hook)

Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.01. 2019 14:53 »
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 25.01. 2019 11:57 »
Just for the record, and I hope this helps someone, I managed to reattach my plunger centre stand to the frame last night. The hook I bought was useless, so I made up a tool out of my plunger tool and a bearing extractor kit at work I believe, to stretch the centre stand spring to 6 ½” and then I packed it with coins to retain this length when released. I hope the pictures work. Cheers
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!