Author Topic: clutch lever not returning  (Read 396 times)

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
clutch lever not returning
« on: 04.07. 2023 16:43 »
55 A10 GF SA

The clutch lever will not return when I pull it in. I have checked:

cable runs free when I released it at gearbox, operate the clutch lever and it pulls back easily at gearbox end with fingers
pivot point on clutch lever greased, and cable lubed
Clutch actuating arm on gearbox set at correct angle, as per owners manual.

Before I take the primary cover off to have a nosy at the clutch side is there anything obvious I am missing?

Secondly what could cause this issue, what should I be looking for if I have to dive into the primary side?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, tips.

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: clutch lever not returning
« Reply #1 on: 04.07. 2023 20:57 »
G'day Dave.
First I'd look at the adjuster under the oval cover (gear lever side). https://tinyurl.com/2jtc59t4 look at #'s 4 & 5. If the pushrod has worn short and the adjuster is moved to get the lever right it can foul on the rod. Part #4 s on a spline so can be rotated to get it all lined up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 04.07. 2023 21:46 »
G'day Dave.
First I'd look at the adjuster under the oval cover (gear lever side). https://tinyurl.com/2jtc59t4 look at #'s 4 & 5. If the pushrod has worn short and the adjuster is moved to get the lever right it can foul on the rod. Part #4 s on a spline so can be rotated to get it all lined up.
Cheers

Thanks, I just went out and had a look. The alignment seems OK, but what I did find was that the ball is recessed into the adjuster so much I cannot get it out and the sides of the "cup" on the adjuster are a bit damaged.

I wonder if this is what might be causing my issue

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 04.07. 2023 22:03 »
G'day Dave.
The ball is supposed to be captured but should spin (mine do). Yes it looks a bit butchered ad could cause a problem. What does the end of the pushrod look like? With that adjuster out can you push the pushrod in and it returns? Might have to rig up a piece cross the cover plate screws and use a pry bar to push the pushrod. Next will the pushrod come out from that side. It may be mushroomed at the clutch end. If so then you'll have to drop the primary.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 04.07. 2023 22:16 »
G'day Dave.
The ball is supposed to be captured but should spin (mine do). Yes it looks a bit butchered ad could cause a problem. What does the end of the pushrod look like? With that adjuster out can you push the pushrod in and it returns? Might have to rig up a piece cross the cover plate screws and use a pry bar to push the pushrod. Next will the pushrod come out from that side. It may be mushroomed at the clutch end. If so then you'll have to drop the primary.
Cheers
Thanks Muskrat,

The pushrod does come out easily and I am going to replace it. Drags has them in stock and surprisingly cheap! I will have a go at seeing if the pushrod will push in and out tomorrow. Got to go play bagpipes now!!!

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.07. 2023 09:18 »
That adjuster doesn't look unserviceable, but what's caused the roughness on it? Looks to me that it's been running off-centre to the pushrod. Could be the pushrod's worn at one end and the adjuster should have been screwed in more to compensate. Or vice-versa. That ball needs to start on one side of the pushrod end and slide across the face as the clutch is disengaged. Some bikes had a T piece for that adjuster to mate with, together with a shorter pushrod in compensation. Much better idea - have one on one of my bikes.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.