Author Topic: Removing chrome plating from aluminium castings  (Read 182 times)

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
Hi Mates
Bought another gearbox outer cover , as mine has a bit of damage, but it's chrome plated, a bit  has come off , is it possible to remove the whole lot? and if s0 how
all the best    Barry
WA

Offline Swarfcut

• Resident Legend
Re: Removing chrome plating from aluminium castings
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2019 08:35 »
Steel parts go in a "Stripping Bath", where the current is simply reversed.  The pH of the electrolyte is critical, as any alkaline solution has a tendency to dissolve aluminium. Don't clean crankcases in Caustic Soda! Stripping Chrome from Aluminium may be a bit risky, so check with your chrome plater, but don't be surprised if  they decline to do it.

Any chrome plated aluminium parts I have seen,  done on the cheap, have lost the chrome easily, just peeling off in strips. A proper job should have a base of copper, then  nickel and finally  chrome, this is not the case on cheap backdoor jobs.

Swarfy.

Online Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 18.02. 2019 09:32 »
Yes a good chrome plater will remove it for you. I had a square case Ducati side cover that had to be de chromed. God alone knows what persuaded whoever did it in the first place that it was a good idea. A clear case of when the quest for bling goes bad!
NZ

Online Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.02. 2019 09:48 »
My Indian primary cover was chromed too. The chrome plater stripped it for a tenner and left the cover a lovely dark green colour. Polished up OK though.