Author Topic: Pushrod puzzle  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
Pushrod puzzle
« on: 10.02. 2019 16:44 »
My newly rebuilt engine is now fitted and after a few minor teething problems I got her fired up for the first time yesterday. She ran nicely at tick over, but I didn't try to ride her anywhere.

This morning I started her up absolutely fine and left her ticking over. After a couple of minutes the engine died and wouldn't start. I was getting a nice healthy spark from my Pazon and lots of alarming backfires through the bellhousing, but she just would not start. I had tightened up the rocker box bolts this morning and wondered if this had knocked the valve clearances out, so I removed the inspection cover and was amazed to discover that both the inlet pushrods had jumped out of their cups. I managed to get them realigned without having to remove the rockerbox and re-set all four clearances. She started up first kick and ticked over nicely for a few minutes before stopping. Once again I got nothing except backfiring and flames from the carb.

This time when I removed the tappet inspection cover I discovered that the clearances were at zero and were tight. (Only on the inlet side. The exhaust ones were fine). So I once again re-set the gaps, double checked them and started the bike. And once again she ran perfectly for a minute or two before cutting out and refusing to start. This time when I checked the pushrods, I discovered that once again the two inlet ones had jumped out of their cups in the rockerbox.

At this point I gave up for the day and came home for my dinner. Please can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong here?
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Servodyne

• Moving Up
Re: Pushrod puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2019 16:53 »
It sounds like the inlet valves could be sticking open for some reason. Is it an iron head with bronze valve guides?
1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2019 16:55 »
I believe what might be happening here is landing the bottom ends of the pushrods on the lips of the lifters, rather than in the lifter cups. Show's up as adjusters unusually extended from the rocker arms. DAMHIK.

Richard L.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2019 18:24 »
It sounds like the inlet valves could be sticking open for some reason. Is it an iron head with bronze valve guides?

No, it is an alloy head. I should have said that it has just had new valves/guides/springs/camshaft/followers and pushrods fitted.
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.02. 2019 19:05 »
I know it's a daft thing to ask, but are you sure you have the cams in the correct position for adjustment?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2019 19:19 »
but are you sure you have the cams in the correct position for adjustment?

Yep thats the first thing I thought but wanted to wait to see if it came up, yes make sure one cylinder valves are rocking when measuring the other other

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2019 19:25 »
As per other post I’d  double check you are setting the clearance with the cam in the right position eg with follower on the base circle, it’s easy to get this wrong especially with 5he higher duration cams.

Has it got new alloy pushrods? I ask as there were some in the market place that had incorrectly radiussed ends, causing excessive wear and sticking in the rockers, making setting clearances tricky.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2019 19:27 »
G'day Mosin.
All three suggestions have merit. I'm leaning towards Servodyne's sticky valves. OK when cold but stick as the valves get hotter and grow faster than the guide/head.
Unusual (for me anyway) to be able to put the pushrods back in the cups without lifting the box a mm or three.
Cheers
ps: Bill got in first. I do tappets with the opposite valve fully down. Left inlet fully open (down) do the right inlet.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: 10.02. 2019 20:02 »
I made absolutely sure that when doing the left inlet valve clearance I had the right hand one pushed right down (open), and vice-versa when doing the other cylinder, so at least that rules out that possibility.

I suppose I should just be grateful that I am blessed with long thin fingers so I don't have to keep lifting the box off and upsetting the exhaust side too!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #9 on: 11.02. 2019 01:06 »
I think Servodyne is right, valves sticking a bit since you have fitted new valve guides.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #10 on: 11.02. 2019 08:17 »
Ok, so it is starting to sound like the inlet valves are sticking. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. But the question now is "what can I do about it"?
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 11.02. 2019 08:43 »
hi guys, Mosin i think it is off with the head and out with the reamer, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #12 on: 11.02. 2019 09:49 »
hi guys, Mosin i think it is off with the head and out with the reamer, cheers

I had a horrible feeling that was going to be the answer.  *sad2*
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

beezermacc

« Reply #13 on: 11.02. 2019 10:14 »
It seems odd that both inlet valves are sticking at the same time. I would expect one to stick before the other and the bike to go on one cylinder before it stops altogether. I have only had a sticky valve problem on one occasion when the cause turned out to be over-retarded ignition causing the cylinder head to get too hot. Another thing worth checking is oil flow to the inlet rocker shaft. I suggest slackening the banjo when you start the bike just to check plenty of oil is coming out.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 11.02. 2019 10:24 »
Mosin... Before you rip it apart, check your clearances again (back of the cam, valve closed) and run it gently with the valve covers off. Observe the rocker movements and squirt oil onto the valve stems, through the valve spring  coils, as it ticks over. Maybe it just needs a few minutes of well lubricated running to get the valves closing as they should. You can also check oil feed to the valve gear at the same time. If it is a case of head off, check for bowed pushrods, and also their fit into rocker and follower cups. They should not bind, but still be a snug fit. Most unusual for a pushrod to jump out if all assembled and set up correctly. If the motor is A10, any chance they are A7 exhaust pushrods, masquerading  as A10 inlets? Dimensions are somewhere out there, so you can see if you have the right pushrods. Clutching at straws here on your behalf, worst case is a bit of work and a new head gasket. Plus the ever popular re- seat the pushrods  game.

Good luck, Swarfy.