Author Topic: Smoking on the right  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Smoking on the right
« on: 17.02. 2019 04:39 »
58SR is going much better now. I lifted the needle jet one notch and all but eliminated the pinking. It is however still smoking out the rhs pipe and has developed a wet sumping  habit. It occurs to me though that I might have a leak from the oil pump gasket. Does that cause a smokey right hand pipe in anyone’s experience?
NZ

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: Smoking on the right
« Reply #1 on: 17.02. 2019 07:02 »
can't see why an oil pump leak would affect on cylinder more than the other.
when you say smoke, do you mean its running rich (sooty) or burning oil (oily wet plug etc)
my SR always runs richer on the right. i think its to do with a slight bias on the porting somehow, aiming more fuel towards the right. (someone with a better memory will be along in a minute). also i discovered my timing was different left to right (as i recall it by about 4-5 degrees) due to the cam ring being mis-ground (fixable), and correcting that helped a bit.
if its oily then that's a different story...
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17.02. 2019 19:40 »
No its definitely oil smoke not rich mixture.
NZ

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.02. 2019 23:03 »
I had to retorque my head gasket to clear up a smoky right hand side.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18.02. 2019 01:43 »
I replaced the scrapper ring on that side and replaced the head gasket but this made no difference.
NZ

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.02. 2019 05:13 »
usual suspects: when apart did you check the bore clearance and valve guides?
hows the compression?
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 18.02. 2019 06:09 »
Rule of thumb
Smokes on acceleration =  rings
Smokes on deceleration = Valve guides

Which one you got ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 18.02. 2019 09:29 »
Neither, both are mint however as I suspected the timing case was full of oil and it seems the oil pump was leaking from the gasket joint. The pump is an original mazac one and has begun to grow out of shape. Ive flat filed the face and made a new gasket and will see if it back syphons the oil as fast once I refit it.
NZ

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 18.02. 2019 16:09 »
And don't forget the little round gasket under the forward fixing on the pump.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.02. 2019 16:38 »
 Worth checking the scavenge side of the system for air leaks and obstructions, as these this will result in wet sumping. The timing bush will vent oil into the oil pump cavity, where the level  rises to the keyhole, and the oil then overflows and passes to the sump. Some oil is normal around the pump but the timing case cannot fill with oil entirely. A badly worn timing bush will also vent a lot of oil against the crank web, and get thrown up the bore. Easy to check for lift in the bearing with the pump off. 

Sorry, but I cannot understand what is meant by "back syphon" in this context, but I suspect you mean " returns oil to the tank."

Swarfy.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 18.02. 2019 21:03 »
The oil tank being so high maintains a positive pressure on the pump so I agree not really a siphon more just pouring in from above. Re the washer under the front of the pump. I’ve assumed this is simply a spacer which I will now need to modify as the face of the pump has been filed down somewhat. The question though is it simply a steel spacer or do I require a copper of aluminum washer to seal it?
NZ

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.02. 2019 21:16 »
Hi Slymo,
The purpose of the fibre washer is to compensate for the thickness of the gasket on the front mounting
he crankcase should be flat and so should be the pump
A piece of the same material as the gasket is the best to use in my opinion, I make one piece gaskets with an extension to accommodate the front mounting

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 18.02. 2019 22:49 »
That makes perfect sense but with my pump there is a distinct difference between the plane of the body and the end, probably 020" but I will compensate and make it fit. Thanks for the help all *smile*.
NZ

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 19.02. 2019 14:41 »
 Slymo, In theory the pump faces (body and drive spindle casting) should all be flat and in the same plane. The time honoured way was to assemble the pump, tightening the bolts bit by bit and twisting the body and spindle casing , checking all the time to try and stop it binding. Then rubbing the pump flat on a sheet of fine emery paper, supported on a piece of window glass. Then came the washing out of the emery dust and aluminium filings with petrol, turps or paraffin, whatever you had. These days blocking the holes would be a good idea....that was then.

An A65 pump gasket, with a strip cut out to shorten it, can be used to ensure all three pump mounting points are in the same plane in an attempt to stop the pump twisting as it is tightened against the crankcase.

Swarfy.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 20.02. 2019 10:36 »
That makes perfect sense but having made a reasonable fist of flat filing the mating face of the pump body when I pressed it down onto a sheet of glass I could still slip a .026" feeler gauge under the spindle mount. So Ive made a suitable sized washer on the lathe and then a 0.4mm gasket for for both sides.
NZ