Author Topic: 53 plunger - new mudguards recommendations  (Read 844 times)

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
53 plunger - new mudguards recommendations
« on: 18.02. 2019 21:00 »
Hi all,
So, a set back at the weekend at the painters - my 53 A10 plunger mudguards are too far gone to repair. They’re paper thin with rust and full of holes, the rear one is also bent and mangled. I need some new ones. I’m not too worried about it looking original as long as they fit.
Please can I ask for your help yet again? Does anyone have any recommendations for mudguard suppliers and, if I can’t get the original shape, alternative spec mudguards that fit?

Offline gt6uk

• Moving Up
Re: 53 plunger - new mudguards recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2019 21:10 »
Have a look on Autocycle Engineering website. I have bought 2 mudguards from here and both were spot on.

STEVE.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.02. 2019 14:02 »
  My'53 Plunger came with mudguards having a central rib, and this appears the original style for that year. The hinged rear guard was missing the hinged bit, the rest was made of rusty lace and (foolishly) consigned to the scrappy.

This was in 1976, and universal guards were readily available, and I adapted a rear guard to fit. It had no rib, no hinge, was a bit short, but I extended the front and made the indent for the chain. The rear stays were also missing, so here again a bit of steel tube and flat strip came to the rescue. Finished and sprayed up it has passed scrutiny for the last 40+ years.

If you just want a useable bike,  this is the way to go. Otherwise a case of finding a reasonable original guard or adapting a similar genuine guard, contemporary  B and M series pressings are similar, differing in detail, such as extra brackets.

Later plunger models share the non ribbed front guard of the early S/A models.  The lower stay is the same, with the two securing nuts and bolts at the rear.

As noted above, Chris Williams at Autocycle,  Dudley, West Midlands can be worth a try and knows his stuff from many years in the trade. The range offered includes plain and ribbed blades, but not the deep valanced type, as the original tooling is long gone.

Indian produced ones are a different story, as regards quality and material, but look attractive compared with prices asked for original rusty offerings. When ordering replacements, the size of the guard is not the size of the wheel......we have all made that mistake.

Keep you old guards, either as a pattern or for the future, rusty or not they have a value to someone.

Swarfy.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.02. 2019 18:37 »
Hi  bakerlonglegs and All

I saw some original BSA guards while looking through British Only Austria
I don't know if they have what you need but it doesn't cost to have a look
He doesn't half know how to charge though  *eek*

Also worth a phone call is Owens Motorcycles    01978 266087     http://www.owensmotorcycles.co.uk/spares.html

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Del 60

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 19.02. 2019 18:47 »
You could try Burton bikes bits and Bantam John for your guards.I ended up buying one at Kempton park from John

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 19.02. 2019 21:50 »
Thank you very much to all for your advice and knowledge, appreciated!! Time to make some calls....

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 20.02. 2019 07:14 »
i ended up with an indian-made replacement rear guard for my B series plunger. but it was so lightly build and thin gauge that i couldn't bring myself to fit it. stayed with the bent, bogged and beaten-up original.
not saying they are all like this but it would pay to check, especially with some of the lower price higher volume suppliers.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 20.02. 2019 09:52 »
Thanks again for the replies.
I’ve got to be honest I’m wary of Draganfly. My regular source of parts is Andrew Guttenberg (Priory Magnetos) but he doesn’t have any new ones. I’ve tried Draganfly before but, to cut a long story short, I had to nag them about parts on back order and when they did arrive every part was wrong or didn’t fit. Andrew is completely the opposite - easy to order through and the parts are always good.

Offline gt6uk

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 20.02. 2019 17:47 »
I have bought quite a few parts from Chris Williams at Autocycle and have always been more than happy with the parts, service and good advice. I have used Dragonfly once but will never use them again.

Steve.

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #10 on: 21.02. 2019 08:33 »
Hi Bakerlonglegs.    I have sent you a pm.  Regards, Pete
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34