Author Topic: I'm smoking on the right too!  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Re: I'm smoking on the right too!
« Reply #60 on: 28.02. 2019 02:15 »
A couple of questions, were the Gandini scrapers iron or three piece ones? Wondering if they'll fit in my pistons with 1/8" scraper grooves or whether I'd need to open them out also where did you get them from? I also need 70.5mm.
S:)
NZ

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #61 on: 28.02. 2019 03:54 »
sort of off topic but...
the profoundly annoying design flaw that sees me having to remove one stud from the rocker box
alloy head? due to thread damage, i recently extended the BSF (?) thread of that (top inlet) stud about one and a half turns so its sits lower into the rocker box and now I can wriggle it in and out while the stud is in. took a few practice fits to learn the route. Next time its out I'm going to shorten the rocker box d/s rear stud about 1/8" to make it easier again. it is (just) possible.

BTW I've enjoyed following this thread and learned a lot - well done Steve
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 28.02. 2019 04:59 »
A couple of questions, were the Gandini scrapers iron or three piece ones? Wondering if they'll fit in my pistons with 1/8" scraper grooves or whether I'd need to open them out also where did you get them from? I also need 70.5mm.
S:)

The Gandini scrapers are the conventional shape but I’m not sure about the material - it’s bright, unlike cast iron. They fit straight into the standard 1/8” groove. I got them from F H Thornton who you will find online, very helpful.

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #63 on: 28.02. 2019 05:15 »
sort of off topic but...
the profoundly annoying design flaw that sees me having to remove one stud from the rocker box
alloy head? due to thread damage, i recently extended the BSF (?) thread of that (top inlet) stud about one and a half turns so its sits lower into the rocker box and now I can wriggle it in and out while the stud is in. took a few practice fits to learn the route. Next time its out I'm going to shorten the rocker box d/s rear stud about 1/8" to make it easier again. it is (just) possible.

BTW I've enjoyed following this thread and learned a lot - well done Steve

Thanks for the accolade it’s my pleasure. On the stud question I adopted GB’s idea and remove the rear studs completely. Turns rocker box removal into a doddle.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #64 on: 28.02. 2019 06:04 »
Excellent I'll give them a go. I went to the Gandini site direct but it seems their e-commerce site is currently switched off. I nearly banged my head with my fists when I read about shortening the stud. God alone know why that never occurred to me. There is plenty of spare lengh on it. I'm not sure id go for bolting it in from underneath as threads into alloy are always a bit risky although I could do what I did to the chain case inner bolts into the crankcase that had stripped and make steel threaded sleeves and loctite them in. My big plan is to get the bike in a state where I dont have to continually remove the rocker box. But that of course is the big dream!
NZ

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #65 on: 28.02. 2019 06:39 »
I’ll send you the part number when I finally get outa bed.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #66 on: 28.02. 2019 06:44 »
Excellent I'll give them a go. I went to the Gandini site direct but it seems their e-commerce site is currently switched off. I nearly banged my head with my fists when I read about shortening the stud. God alone know why that never occurred to me. There is plenty of spare lengh on it. I'm not sure id go for bolting it in from underneath as threads into alloy are always a bit risky although I could do what I did to the chain case inner bolts into the crankcase that had stripped and make steel threaded sleeves and loctite them in. My big plan is to get the bike in a state where I dont have to continually remove the rocker box. But that of course is the big dream!

Here are the Gandini boxes with the part numbers on. Just to get you salivating.... Time for breakfast

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 28.02. 2019 09:43 »
Steve, just in case you don't know, the 'Hepolite' rings sold today come in a box that is printed to look like a new, old stock box with grease marks.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #68 on: 28.02. 2019 10:30 »
The original Hepolite rings come in boxes like these marked with makers name and address and "made in England";

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 28.02. 2019 10:49 »
This is what new 'Hepolite' branded rings look like.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #70 on: 28.02. 2019 10:50 »
Steve, just in case you don't know, the 'Hepolite' rings sold today come in a box that is printed to look like a new, old stock box with grease marks.
Yes I knew that, I bought a piston set like that knowingly, but with a separate box which was a genuine old Hepolite box, containing these gash rings which were sold to me as NOS.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 28.02. 2019 11:06 »
Many many Brand names mean little in these days of multi nationals and mega manufacturing consortium's/units whatever whose names mean absolutely zilch to the end user.
The Brand names are bought and stuck on all sorts of stuff of all sorts of quality, this coupled with very clever advertising that is designed to play on or bend your mind in all sorts of ways you are not aware of means we have to take advise from purchasers of said branded products ( like members of this Forum) dealers can help but they too have to look to supply , cost  and everything else about surviving.
In this context a faux dirty old looking package is not exactly at the height of deception, I've used them and they were/are ok but was not fooled by the package, it's just how it is these days we of a certain age have to put a nostalgic view of past brand quality to one side
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #72 on: 28.02. 2019 12:02 »
Many many Brand names mean little in these days of multi nationals and mega manufacturing consortium's/units whatever whose names mean absolutely zilch to the end user.
The Brand names are bought and stuck on all sorts of stuff of all sorts of quality, this coupled with very clever advertising that is designed to play on or bend your mind in all sorts of ways you are not aware of means we have to take advise from purchasers of said branded products ( like members of this Forum) dealers can help but they too have to look to supply , cost  and everything else about surviving.
In this context a faux dirty old looking package is not exactly at the height of deception, I've used them and they were/are ok but was not fooled by the package, it's just how it is these days we of a certain age have to put a nostalgic view of past brand quality to one side
Well Bill, these were definitely not okay. I spoke to the supplier this morning who is unrepentant, saying they have supplied them for 30 years without mishap, and they were not even interested in looking at the rings to check the rest of their stock (they have 9 sets more on the shelf in this size) despite me making it clear I was not asking for a refund. I feel quite irritated about that. I'll try and avoid them in the future, which will be inconvenient since they often do have the parts I want.

1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: 28.02. 2019 12:35 »
we have to take advise from purchasers of said branded products ( like members of this Forum)

Exactly -  so mine were ok yours were not, others will take note and buy where they think best, my point was that we cannot take a Brand  name  of the past as any guarantee of past quality 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #74 on: 28.02. 2019 12:55 »

we have to take advise from purchasers of said branded products ( like members of this Forum)

Exactly -  so mine were ok yours were not, others will take note and buy where they think best, my point was that we cannot take a Brand  name  of the past as any guarantee of past quality   

Bill- I advise you to take your own advice  *conf2*;  why did you quote and then agree with yoself  *conf2*??

Well I can rest easy knowing that by luck I have Gandini rings (maybe by default from SRM) and after ~15K miles is ok- sometimes see a hint of smoke sitting at traffic lights, but figure it may just be a bit rich- otherwise, don't look back  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia