Author Topic: Plunger Chaincase screws  (Read 1352 times)

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
Re: Plunger Chaincase screws
« Reply #15 on: 06.03. 2019 09:13 »
The Allen screws I have just got for the chaicase appear to be the same head diameter as the mangled Fillister screws I removed. Is this likely and would it remedy the above mentioned problems with socket head screws?
Adrian.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 06.03. 2019 16:32 »
Adrian...As long as they go into the primary case  and are a good match for the diameter of the original screws, you will have no problem. The secret to an oiltight case is a good quality gasket and  smooth mating surfaces. My favourite jointing is Hylomar,  purists will use Red Hermatite.  Silicone bathroom sealer if that's all you have.

One of the screws acts as a level plug, one as a drain, so these will need a fibre washer under their heads to act as a seal. The oil level is quite critical. I run the oiled chain  "dry" and add oil until a nice stream of drops passes the filler hole as the motor ticks over.

This means that now the chain is running in oil, but the oil is not deep enough to get into the clutch.

The screws you have will be fine, they may actually be made for the job, rather than some generic fastener. They only need a firm tighten, not the extremely murder tightness that results in knackered screws when you try to get them off.

Swarfy.

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 06.03. 2019 18:25 »
Thanks Swarfy,
 I'm short of the fibre washers but I'll find some.
I believe that these screws were specially made.
I used to use Red Hermatite , mucky stuff, didn't know you could still get it. I'm using Hylomar now.
Adrian.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #18 on: 06.03. 2019 18:40 »
I don't actually use anything on my chaincase gaskets except a smear of grease. Seem to work. Nothing worse than trying to get red hermetite out of the bottom of threaded holes in the chaincase. There was a time when it seemed compulsory. Actually, thinking back, people did use red hermetite on threads as a primitive version of loctite. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 06.03. 2019 20:29 »
Fillister
Starts looking like filibuster GB!  *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike