Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 2999 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I read  'What have you done with your bike/s today?' and I think, I need a 'What have you done instead of working on your bike/s today?'. Anyone else need this?

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
Re: An idea for a new continuing topic
« Reply #1 on: 06.03. 2019 19:40 »
well my input would just be , I went to the pub! *beer* ;) only joking *bash* lots of other stuff needs doing . I have got to get the old car out the garage and have a play with that, and that reminds me roof needs sorting brothers workshop needs building.---- right that's enough before I have a list as long as the river nile *eek*   edited on 23 /7/ 2019 I wish I had left the car in the garage!!

Offline ChasF

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 06.03. 2019 21:12 »
I still work for a living (roofer) so that’s mainly what I do instead of working on the bike. I’m also busy converting an old van into a camper so we can go off withthe dog - it was either that or a sidecar, but the dog is too daft to sit in the sidecar.

Looking forward to having more time to work on the fleet *smile* but no doubt my kids will be making demands on my time as well so, no doubt, bikes will take a back seat as ever.

Exiled Brit living in the Dordogne

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #3 on: 06.03. 2019 21:41 »
Good idea GB.
All my time is being taken up rebuilding the kitchen from the foundations upwards. I also have a 1937 Wolseley 14/60 sitting in the garage waiting for the cooling and brakes to be sorted and to cap it all, a mate bought round a 76 Suzuki 125 RV which has packed up for me to have a look at.
Good job the weather is still crap so I can't ride the Super Rocket anyway but it is all ready to go when the sun starts shining!
I think the topic should read "What prevented you from working on your bikes today".

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.03. 2019 22:25 »
Got a shed build project, replacing an old shed with new. have about half of the framing, started getting levels, a big concrete block at the four corners and two of them in situ so far, the plan is to dig trenches between them, fill them with rubble and a 2 inch or so concrete top ( this to thwart the attention of under shed rats that we've had problems with last year, this year so far not so bad).
need to get the Flash sold so the RGF can transfer from the garage to my bike shed so I can build the framing in the garage.  won't be a quick job as I'm in the process of having a little down under op prior to getting radio therapy for Prostate cancer.
So nothing is quite straight forward with appointments, cancelled / rearranged and discovering the  side effects of the hormone treatment they give you (expect many here know what I mean, think I'm still an A cup)  *conf*, if I answer any mails by taking your heads off it's just one of those things RIGHT, RIGHT
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.03. 2019 23:01 »
I think the topic should read "What prevented you from working on your bikes today".
Good idea Jim. I've changed it.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 06.03. 2019 23:04 »
I still work for a living (roofer) so that’s mainly what I do instead of working on the bike. I’m also busy converting an old van into a camper so we can go off withthe dog - it was either that or a sidecar, but the dog is too daft to sit in the sidecar.

Looking forward to having more time to work on the fleet *smile* but no doubt my kids will be making demands on my time as well so, no doubt, bikes will take a back seat as ever.

Don't go thinking that when you retire you'll have all the time in the world to do your own things. DAMHIK!

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #7 on: 07.03. 2019 08:36 »
idleness   *sleepy*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 07.03. 2019 09:25 »
Nuffink!

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.03. 2019 09:26 »
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online mikeb

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 07.03. 2019 09:37 »
they currently work - no need! (for now)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 07.03. 2019 10:06 »
Dosing sheep and painting a big trough - but I did change the spark plugs on the Star Twin and it's only 10:05! Time for a cup of tea. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 07.03. 2019 13:08 »
Yesterday evening and today my wife and I have been shifting 40 concrete slabs across town. Some are for our garden, the rest are for the allotment* that my wife and our daughter-in-law share. My tinny trailer could not carry all the slabs in one go so two trips were required. The slabs were offered on the Freecycle website.

*an allotment is an area of land rented by the council to local people to grow veg. etc.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 07.03. 2019 13:23 »
Over the past few weeks I've been busy installing a cooker that was given to us. The cooker is quite old, more than ten years old, but it's a range style, dual fuel, 900mm wide cooker, something I've wanted for a long time but could not afford. The cooker is made by Brittania, so a well made thing. As the cooker has electric fan assisted ovens and a gas hob I needed to provide a heavy duty power supply to the cooker site; this meant taking up floorboards in the bedroom above the kitchen to install the cable. I also had to change the consumer unit, (fuse box) in the cupboard under the stairs to allow a dedicated breaker for the cooker supply.
I screwed a home-made dolly to the side of the cooker then tipped it over. This allowed the cooker to be rolled up a plank into the house and then the kitchen.
I've had to reduce the width of a cupboard and the worktop but the cooker is now installed and working OK.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 07.03. 2019 13:29 »
Next project will be to make a summer house in the garden....

Motorbike, what motorbike?