Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 2609 times)

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #15 on: 07.03. 2019 13:46 »
greybeard are you feeding the 5000 or running a restaurant ;)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 07.03. 2019 13:52 »
greybeard are you feeding the 5000 or running a restaurant ;)
Our previous cooker never seemed to get the wok as hot as it should. I do most of the cooking, by the way. When the family are all here the two ovens will be very useful.

Online Stikkan

• Moving Up
Re: An idea for a new continuing topic
« Reply #17 on: 07.03. 2019 13:56 »
I still work for a living (roofer) so that’s mainly what I do instead of working on the bike. I’m also busy converting an old van into a camper so we can go off withthe dog - it was either that or a sidecar, but the dog is too daft to sit in the sidecar.

Looking forward to having more time to work on the fleet *smile* but no doubt my kids will be making demands on my time as well so, no doubt, bikes will take a back seat as ever.

Don't go thinking that when you retire you'll have all the time in the world to do your own things. DAMHIK!

I wish you were right, been retired almost 6 years now and struggling to get times for my bikes.

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #18 on: 07.03. 2019 14:30 »
Just been fixing the lights in my tractor shed.
I have four Thorn 5ft double fluorescents and I had to replace one after a year and another one went bang a few weeks back - absolute rubbish! They are the type without starters - HF I think. The replacement starter/ballast units cost almost as much as the whole fitting.
I thought I would try LED tubes and I am very impressed - there is no detectable difference between the two flourescents and the LEDs. The flourescents are 58w and the LEDs are 22w so quite a saving. Not cheap though - £53 for four delivered.
The LED tubes just need 250v AC in one end - the other end is not wired but has the pins to mount the tube. I just needed to disconnect the wiring to the ballast and wire one pair of end caps to the incoming mains connector.
Next job - pull down the kitchen ceiling.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: An idea for a new continuing topic
« Reply #19 on: 07.03. 2019 14:57 »
Don't go thinking that when you retire you'll have all the time in the world to do your own things. DAMHIK!
I wish you were right, been retired almost 6 years now and struggling to get times for my bikes.
That is exactly what I meant.

Offline bikerbob

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 07.03. 2019 14:57 »
Just arrived in the post today an old Craven top box and Craven carrier bought on ebay need a bit of work so  have now stopped working in the greenhouse and will now transfer to the garage to do more important work green house can wait till better weather.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 07.03. 2019 14:59 »
Just arrived in the post today an old Craven top box and Craven carrier bought on ebay need a bit of work so  have now stopped working in the greenhouse and will now transfer to the garage to do more important work green house can wait till better weather.
Off topic for this thread!!

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 07.03. 2019 17:48 »
My wife.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 07.03. 2019 17:54 »

Oh so true,

My wife.

open to a few interpretation that one  *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 07.03. 2019 18:53 »
She's been busy this morning signing me up for a Saturday morning seminar on " Mole control" and a Sunday morning seminar at the same Garden Nursery on " Proper Pruning of Fruit trees"

Both of these are areas I'm weak on but I had to delist from the seminars for now.
Saturday is a regular Old motorcyclists with old motorcycles breakfast get together and Sunday - I might want to polish the BSA.

I have disappointed again!

Glen

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 07.03. 2019 20:52 »
a Saturday morning seminar on " Mole control"

Had two of the little beggars in the garden last year, used two solar ultrasonic do dahs, they do work in as much as they shifted the moles to a different part of the garden, I had to reposition them to get rid of the last mole, caught the first in an original wire type trap, but by god if using them watch your fingers when setting them, hair trigger is the phrase to use
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 07.03. 2019 23:00 »
Over the past few weeks I've been busy installing a cooker that was given to us. The cooker is quite old, more than ten years old, but it's a range style, dual fuel, 900mm wide cooker, something I've wanted for a long time but could not afford. The cooker is made by Brittania, so a well made thing. As the cooker has electric fan assisted ovens and a gas hob I needed to provide a heavy duty power supply to the cooker site; this meant taking up floorboards in the bedroom above the kitchen to install the cable. I also had to change the consumer unit, (fuse box) in the cupboard under the stairs to allow a dedicated breaker for the cooker supply.
I screwed a home-made dolly to the side of the cooker then tipped it over. This allowed the cooker to be rolled up a plank into the house and then the kitchen.
I've had to reduce the width of a cupboard and the worktop but the cooker is now installed and working OK.
GB did you get a licenced gas fitter to connect the gas and issue a `safe to use` certificate? 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 08.03. 2019 08:36 »
... a Saturday morning seminar on " Mole control" ...

There's only one way to get rid of a mole ...
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 08.03. 2019 09:25 »
GB did you get a licenced gas fitter to connect the gas and issue a `safe to use` certificate?
Of course  *smile*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #29 on: 08.03. 2019 10:00 »
G'day Fellas.
Trying to get a Davy water pump with a Suzuki 160cc 4 stroke motor going. With the help of two mecanics and coil test and carb ultrasonic clean it still wouldn't start, even with "Start ya bastard". The pull start wouldn't spin it fast enough. Mechanic #1 had his Kelpie dog with him so used a longer rope around the spindle about 20 times and tied the other end to the dog's collar. Got a bone out of the fridge and threw it out the door. Motor fired straight up!!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7