Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 7852 times)

Online scotty

• Valued Contributor
  • Deep Bay, Left Coast, Canada
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #210 on: 11.04. 2020 16:04 »
Get well soon Wortluck !

Greybeard I dig your summer house !

I’m building a set of stairs down to the beach which is a great social distancing project !
67 steps installed so far
52 steps to go 😳
No time for riding 😬
Good Advice
No reactions

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Red Flash
'54 B33
'98 HD FLHTPI
‘74 BMW R75-6

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #211 on: 11.04. 2020 16:50 »
Jeez, Scotty, would it have been easier to build a slide.  You get to the beach quicker and more fun, and you don't have to worry about getting back after the six pack on the beach ......  *sleepy* *sleepy* *yeah* *beer* *beer* *whistle*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #212 on: 11.04. 2020 17:00 »
Get well soon Wortluck !
Yes, I second that motion!
Greybeard I dig your summer house !
Thank you.
I’m building a set of stairs down to the beach which is a great social distancing project !
67 steps installed so far
52 steps to go 😳
No time for riding 😬

Wow, that looks gnarly! Wear gloves please.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #213 on: 11.04. 2020 19:46 »
   Crazy fool that I am, I've just signed up to home assemble protective visors to assist our hard pressed Health Service Workers. These visors consist of a 3D Printed headband, plus a simple acrylic sheet.  Too old to help in other ways,  I am happy to assemble this item, which is a local initiative. As for their effectiveness, who knows? Just trying to make a small difference...... and at the end of the day, I ain't exactly going anywhere for now.   The components will arrive.....and finished visors will be collected.    Simples.  Yeah, right.

Swarfy
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #214 on: 11.04. 2020 19:49 »
Crazy fool that I am, I've just signed up to home assemble protective visors to assist our hard pressed Health Service Workers....
Flippin excellent!  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #215 on: 11.04. 2020 20:24 »
Heh, as you know, my wife works for the NHS and hasn't had proper PPE since the hospitals started filling up with C-19 patients.  She asked me a couple of days ago whether I had any protective gear in the garage.  I said I had some ear-loop face masks (for when I'm cleaning brake drums, etc), and a pair of emergency, clear safety glasses for riding at night if I had to.  She's taking both to the hospital when she's back on Tuesday! 

Swarfy, some of the staff who are working directly with C-19 patients are wearing what you're making.  They were told that if they ran out of visors, they could improvise by using X-ray acetates if necessary - makes you think eh. *eek*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #216 on: 11.04. 2020 21:38 »
 GB Thanks, just doing my bit.

Wortluck, You're on the front line here, no one could have anticipated the demand for these items. 

So, maybe not the right place for this,  Admin delete or move as you think fit.

Lets consider masks and visors. A visor will protect a health worker (to a limited  degree, not 100%) from any "splash" aerosol from  an infected patient. Only a well fitting ( hermetically sealed ) face mask capable of trapping viral particles can offer better protection. The guys working in this environment stand a real chance of running out of readily available proven protective gear, and under the circumstances this type of backyard visor will go a long way to protect workers from the way this virus spreads, namely in exhaled droplets.

Out and about wearing an ill fitting mask won't give 100% protection from others, but wearing any mask will decrease the number of viral particles you can pass on, if you are unlucky enough to be be infectious. This is why masks give a false sense of security. They can't protect 100%, and removing them after use carries the risk of hand to mouth transmission, rarely mentioned. Thorough Hand Washing remains the easiest effective barrier to transmission.

As to the visor,  I did think if it was so simple, why not assemble at the point of use?  The answer must be quality assurance. It must be ready to go, on the button. No if's, buts, bits missing, incorrect mouldings, fixings missing. So, I'm not just assembling, I'm doing a quality check, and each one will be the best I can do. 100% from the pack.

As a message, " Go out, Catch it, Die," doesn't have the cachet of our elected representatives' slogan, but that's whats keeping me in social isolation for the time being. The way it's looking, I've no illusions. The health logistics are stretched and the healthcare manpower barely enough. So with medics and support staff becoming grim statistics on a daily basis, the only reliable thing is that you can't rely on the healthcare system, and it's up to you to look after yourself and take sensible behavioural precautions.

All the best to you folks out there contributing in any way to helping in this present situation.

Swarfy.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #217 on: 11.04. 2020 23:53 »
I made masks for my wife amd myself based on this Youtube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA&feature=youtu.be

I hired a professional model to pose with it in the picture.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online BigJim

• Valued Contributor
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #218 on: 12.04. 2020 00:08 »
That model looks familiar in some way?
 *bright idea* *yeah* *beer* *wave*

Good Advice
No reactions
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #219 on: 12.04. 2020 07:39 »
That model looks familiar in some way?
 *bright idea* *yeah* *beer* *wave*
Of course... it’s Richard Gere! *whistle*  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #220 on: 12.04. 2020 13:33 »
Enthusiasm (lack of). Pottering about hoeing weeds, repairing garden door/gate. Had to make a couple of new rails and scaph in part of a stile (requiring dragging out the morticer to cut new mortices). Cut tenons by hand as don't have a spindle for that. Can't progress with the project as a couple of weeks ago I finished the exhaust but only tack-welded it as my TIG welding on thin stainless tube is rubbish. So I gave it to a mate who used to own a stainless fabrication shop to finish off, but now it's locked down with him. This lockdown is a real pain, destroying the economy as well but if you abandon it, more will die. Don't envy the government making decisions.
Good Advice
No reactions
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #221 on: 12.04. 2020 15:57 »
Started dismantling my 'spare' ATD.  Got the collar off a few days ago by heating the collar and knocking the spindle through - worked well and obviated the need for a puller.  Today, I managed to drill out the rivets and separate the rest of the unit.  Looks like the pillars on the bobweights are a bit worn, and the toggle levers a bit knackered - anyone got any of the former lying about that they want to get rid of (in half decent condition)?

I've already had a chat with Andrew at Priory Mags, who says the toggle levers are one of the first things to wear, but I can't find a supplier (possibly not cost effective to make).  I have an engineer mate who says he could make them, but it may cost a lot and may be better obtaining a decent, complete unit - like the ones at Priory.  Just sharing ideas as I recover at home, sorry if all this seems like blather.

Anyway, once I'd got the unit separated, I went to feel really crap again so went to bed. *sad2* *sad2* *sad2* *sad2*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #222 on: 12.04. 2020 17:16 »
Anyway, once I'd got the unit separated, I went to feel really crap again so went to bed. *sad2* *sad2* *sad2* *sad2*
Take it easy man!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #223 on: 12.04. 2020 17:46 »
Anyway, once I'd got the unit separated, I went to feel really crap again so went to bed
yep take it easy, it's not as if you're going anywhere any time soon, I'm finishing the new shed, a very little at a time, getting correct size timber is a problem, can't just pop out and get a bit and my 50% Scots blood doesn't like sawing up big bits to get small bits, however needs must
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #224 on: 12.04. 2020 18:55 »
Thanks fellas, looks like it's going to take longer than I thought - good days and bad days - don't worry, I'm fighting it all the way! :!
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall