Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 8152 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #255 on: 05.06. 2020 18:47 »
"kitchen floor collapsed a week before I put it on the market"  WOODWORM!? *lol* *pull hair out* *bash*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #256 on: 05.06. 2020 20:10 »
Hi All
Well here is today's excuse *sad2*
The other evening I was outside assembling some garden chairs
My knee crunched and cracked as I went to stand from a crouched position, Holy F**k the pain *pull hair out*

John
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #257 on: 06.06. 2020 10:16 »
Holy F**k the pain

Been there done ...
Possibly Gout but more likely the beginnings of Arthritis, the lubricating bit between your knee and knee cap is wearing away, bits break off and get caught in places they shouldn't be (that's the crunch), you can get the knee cleaned out via keyhole surgery (I did) they remove any floating bits and the knee is as they say "load-bearing within a few hours", it is but it's bloody painful at first, however that did cure the problem for many years until all the lubricating surface get degraded and your kneecap is constantly grinding on you knee,(worse than the pain you just experienced) I managed that for about three years with injections then Morphine.
Two years ago I had a TKR (total knee replacement), went in Monday morning was home Tuesday afternoon, pain managed with pills for about a week or so, Exercise regime must be followed rigorously to get as much knee movement as possible, the new knee will not bend as far as you natural one but that is a small price to pay for life without that pain.
You may be a long way of surgery John but if it eventually is  suggested go for it

Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #258 on: 06.06. 2020 20:55 »
Hi Bill,
The Doc said that they no longer do the keyhole job, I had the other knee poked at 30 odd years ago and it took forever to come right
Yes Arthritis is in there already *sad2* and in several other joints  *ex*
The next job I'm thinking of is an electric start for the Super Rocket,  *work*

John
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #259 on: 08.06. 2020 21:57 »
G'day fellas.
Been away up at the new house in Lithgow for a week (plus every weekend for a month or two). Finished laying a floating floor (65 sq/mt) and some odd jobs. Inside almost done to keep SWMBO happy. Soon to start on the shed. That'll be fun! The wife has moved in already but I'll be another 4-5 weeks.Haven't thrown a leg over a bike in over a month. Still getting used to getting up in the morning to see 1/4" of frost over everything, minus 1 to 4C.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
« Reply #260 on: 08.06. 2020 22:57 »
hello musky, minus 1 - wow does that mean your floating floor could freeze up *bash* *whistle*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #261 on: 09.06. 2020 10:05 »
Haven't fired up an engine or turned a wheel here in the UK since the lockdown was first called. I'm fortunate enough to still be gainfully employed - not laid off or furloughed, just working from home which is dull dull dull. I guess I should be counting my blessings.

Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #262 on: 09.06. 2020 10:39 »
I've managed a couple of 100+ trips out, but it's difficult because of all the weirdness about, not to mention my 8 weeks of illness.  Really getting there now health wise, just very tired days - like today, but nothing like what I was.  I work in a school-related role so on paid 'leave' until needed.  Have got one eye on retiring to the country, doing odd jobs, and escaping the rat-race as much as possible.  Visions of endless summer days riding through Wales and the South West, then settling down in the winter to roaring fires and beer/sherry. 

Being at home just does my head in - the walls definitely close in on you.  Going out in a bit to pick up 4L of meths (not meth!) - for cleaning purposes not for passing the time.  Toolstation do a good deal on 2L bottles at the moment (£7.55), I'm stocking up for the next 10 years!
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #263 on: 18.06. 2020 19:48 »
G'day Fellas.
Started both BSA's for the first time in over a month. Just to put them on the trailer for the journey to their new home. Might have to show them around the town when I get them off. Only another 3-4 weeks I'll join them.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #264 on: 18.06. 2020 19:54 »
May the Force be with you Musky *ex* *smile* *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #265 on: 18.06. 2020 20:28 »
Posted the following a few minutes ago, but it seems to have disappeared. Apologies in advance if it now appears twice.
Today (and last several days) lots of things have prevented me.
My ex wants her heating changed from solid fuel to oil, so I’ve been drilling through 18” of 17th c granite wall for the pipe. And my boats needed more of my time that I’d planned. One’s due for insurance survey, so it was lift out (£400 a time) or ‘beach’ it at top of harbour. Chose the latter whilst I powerwashed, antifouled, touched up the P brackets and generally cleaned up (had done all other maintenance in March / April). Did a major engine service on the launch I use for fishing (there aren’t any) a couple of weeks ago and got the dinghy home last weekend for a major sort-out. Been meaning to do the latter for two years. Loads of mud in the bilge, float switch failed (they only last 6 months) hole in hull at stern where a chain had rubbed etc etc. Really must keep on top of these jobs, but with advancing years I find I have less energy and inclination.
I’ll be putting the boat back on its mooring early Sat am and re-launching the dinghy and fishing boat next week. Then it’s back to bikes  *smile* (after I’ve done the brakes on a classic car ready for insurance survey next month). Finished the distributor modification for the project bike several days ago, but for the last week it’s been pushed to back of shed to get the dinghy in etc. I’m supposed to be retired, how come I’m working 6hrs a day nearly every day?
Good Advice
No reactions
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #266 on: 24.06. 2020 16:35 »
Ha! the weather!

Went for ride on Dartmoor with my wife in the sidecar earlier today. We had a picnic lunch - mainly to try out my recently made BSA rear carrier picnic table.  Worked a treat to keep things off the ground - and no bending down to pick up your mug from the ground. Secure enough to stay in place permanently but, as it just clips on with 15 mm plastic pipe clips, it can be pulled up and removed in seconds.
Good Advice
No reactions

1960 Golden Flash

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #267 on: 25.06. 2020 13:47 »
rode the Norton  *smile*. New skill required riding more then one bike at the same time.
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #268 on: 25.06. 2020 14:22 »
rode the Norton  *smile*. New skill required riding more then one bike at the same time.
Please explain  *conf*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #269 on: 25.06. 2020 19:00 »
Left leg BSA right leg Norton
Good Advice
No reactions