Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #270 on: 25.06. 2020 20:23 »
So you've joined a circus Angus?
Good Advice
No reactions

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
« Reply #271 on: 25.06. 2020 22:40 »
greybeard I think we are all in a circus. and that reminds me, as a young teenager I was told a pub goer had found a chap and his dog - scamp at the bottom of a steep banking where he and scamp had landed after the man had consumed quite a few barley wines. when asked if he was ok the man replied , " we're watching the circus aren't we scampo"  the circus being the lights and flames from the coking plant I later worked at. This man was stan, the retired assistant registrar at a college. the man who taught me how to play chess and gave me an ostrich egg when I was 9 and still have despite dropping it on concrete. I still have the chess board he made in his younger days which is a veneered beauty . the shed I have now is what he gave me when I was 17. poor stan took to the barley wines when he lost his wife at a young 47years. i can see stan now playing the piano, in the 50's and 60's he had a dance band, good old stan  i hope your still smoking that pipe and making clouds in the sky *beer* *beer*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Good Advice
No reactions

Online BigJim

• Valued Contributor
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #273 on: 27.06. 2020 16:25 »
Brilliant GB! Bet you well chuffed with how well it runs. Nice to see health and safety forms have been filled out and a glove was present, even if only for a short while. Attaching the fuselage and wings soon?
 *good3* *beer* *yeah*
Good Advice
No reactions
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #274 on: 27.06. 2020 18:56 »
Brilliant GB! Bet you well chuffed with how well it runs. Nice to see health and safety forms have been filled out and a glove was present, even if only for a short while. Attaching the fuselage and wings soon?
 *good3* *beer* *yeah*
The airplane needs finishing.

Sorry, my tablet camera was not covering the whole engine.

I was glad to have gloves on when I got a few kickbacks with the sharp edge of a propeller!
Good Advice
No reactions

beezermacc

« Reply #275 on: 28.06. 2020 08:51 »
40th wedding anniversary. I will be doing a reduced amount of tinkering in the garage so I am not entirely prevented from working on my bikes today. I am married to the most tolerant person on the planet!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #276 on: 28.06. 2020 09:28 »
It's our 50th wedding anniversary on August 1st. We had planned to hire a large house in Cornwall for us and our family for a week: £💷's!
COVID-19 had other ideas so we cancelled the booking and rebooked it for August 2021.

I have not done much on my bike this year. I started it up and put it back in the shed. I need to change the back brakes and do a few other jobs before I ride it again.

We've recently bought a nearly new BMW 1 Series. My wife is taking some time to get used to driving the car. We've been driving a Fiat Panda for 9 years, so as you can imagine, the Beemer is rather different. We go out and drive around the streets that she knows. We've owned larger vehicles in the past; a Series 2 Land Rover, a Volvo estate, a Rover P6. My wifes problem is age-related, I think. I find, as we get older, we tend to lose self-confidence.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #277 on: 28.06. 2020 11:08 »
GB, it's ours on August 1st too, but we can't compete with 50 years *eek* *eek*  After a good few days in the hot sun, I haven't felt particularly well yesterday or today.  Don't know what to put it down to except trying to do too much for my age - maybe the post-viral fatigue reminding me that I'm not indestructable.  Still, treasure the good days and tolerate the bad ones, and try to convince myself that I'm not 25 any more.
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #278 on: 28.06. 2020 11:46 »
We just watched the BBC docudrama about the Salisbury Novichok poisonings two years ago. At the end a couple of updates were shown. The people that survived are still recovering.

Locals getting angry about restrictions of movement and access were very topical for this year.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #279 on: 28.06. 2020 11:52 »
Don't know what to put it down to except trying to do too much for my age ..... maybe the post-viral fatigue

So does that mean you've had and beaten Covid 19 or another virus, either way well done, my brother had viral pneumonia in early January but it had all the marks of covid 19 but then it had not been heard of to the same extent as now but many think nowthat it was here in the last months of 2019?

Know how you feel re the fatigue, I think the recent heat didn't help but it's cooler now so hopefully, we'll get back to getting something done.
Strange this lockdown means lots of free time (I had plenty to start with) but equates to getting less done not more, I kind of kid myself it's to do with hormone pills I take but yesterday after a morning shower I decided to weigh myself, the first time in a long time - shock horror - yes the heaviest I've ever been at 14 stand a bit, the result of home deliveries (vulnerable - self isolating) so easy to click on those big chocolate bars, so today is the start of getting back down to something nearer 11st 7lb, might not get all the way but it a goal.
Take i easy though, diving in all guns firing could be a bad move, a little extra every day is the way to go
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #280 on: 28.06. 2020 12:09 »
Hey! Coincidences GB. Only A10 & BMW owned now - sadly.

Still have 6 planes though, but I don't fly them anymore, they are all about 50 years old but still in good condition as can be seen by photo which was taken today.
Good Advice
No reactions

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #281 on: 28.06. 2020 12:47 »
Our Rover P6:
I bought this after we got fed up with the agricultural lack of comfort with the Series II Landy.
I just just loved blipping the throttle of the P6 to hear the V8 growl. After a month a twat managed to skid on an icy road and write the Rover, and his own Renault Laguna off. Loosing the Rover was rather good because it had cost a fortune in petrol.

I've worked on a few of the earlier Rovers, like yours. I considered them to be extremely good quality. Almost a bargain priced Rolls Royce.

Our Land Rover was a long wheelbase with leaf springs. It had superb road-holding but the non turbo diesel engine was pretty gutless. When we occasionally managed to overtake another vehicle, we would cheer! A friend had totally restored it. We owned the LR for 12 years. It was an ideal vehicle while the kids were young. It didn't matter if they climbed onto it. I installed a cooker and a sink in the back and a removable table.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #282 on: 28.06. 2020 13:15 »
All I can say is that I had immense sinus pain and headaches, followed by really bad breathing problems (like luggage straps pulled tight around my chest), aching, abdominal issues, profound weakness and acute fatigue - rarely felt so ill.  I liken the whole experience to having severe flu with an asthma and panic attack all rolled into one.  My doc put C-19 on my sick note because she was convinced, but it could have been pneumonia.  In fact, I was worried it was Covid that could develop into pneumonia??

Ultimately, I was sick as a dog for around 8 weeks, and am in the rehab phase at present.  I'm not due back at work until September - I hope I'll have beaten the fatigue by then!! 
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #283 on: 28.06. 2020 15:04 »
My S1 was 1958. When I bought it it was sagging badly with the weight of the Fairy winch and very tired leaf springs. I maintained it myself and replaced the springs with new ones laying on my back outside the back of our house - no way I could do that now!

The first owner was a wealthy lady who only used it to attend horse races and it had a lovely bronze prancing horse mounted on the front of the bonnet.

The photo was taken at the Yeovil Festival of Transport about mid to late 80s.
Good Advice
No reactions

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #284 on: 07.07. 2020 16:06 »
We must be a pretty good stayers on this forum ,we've celebrated our 50th back on 11 of april ,full lockdown and very quiet ,we'll have a hell of a party when we are through this crappy period . we have a lot to be grateful for ,we had a cruise to celebrate it semi cancelled out in the carribean  ,only saw 3 islands and swung at anchor for 9 days off Barbados ,we were the last cruise ship allowed to dock and there were still 6 out in the bay and back in the uk I day before lockdown !  I to owned a short wheel based landie cost me next to nothing and after 2 yrs sold her for an amazing amount of money . Real passion other than the family and A10's was mk 2 jags ,owned 14 plus 2 s types and made a good additional income  fitting clutches fixing brakes etc on em   right through the 70s to 82  .
Bill I agree more time less done and shudder to think what I now weigh !
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom