Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #90 on: 24.07. 2019 16:04 »
yet another Landie handbrake story !  1969 we're going to paignton sth devon in my recently acquired ex army swb  Landie set off late  and were going up telegraph hill by about 6am next day, when half way up a Police bike pulled me over ,on with the h/brake and no problem ,mr plod begins by saying he doesn't think the Landie is roadworthy ( cos plod in those days knew about cars ??? ) He crawls under it over it ,checks tyres,looks at the engine  and then wanders back to the drivers door leans in without a by your leave and drops the handbrake ,steep hill so said Landie sets off at a hell of a rate, Mr Plod panics and wrench's the handbrake on ,with a bang the Landie stops instantly and  just as instantly my future Father and mother in law who had been asleep in the back shot out the back door that gave way . Bert yelled at the Plod who looked suitably chastened and spluttered an apology added the Hand brake was "spot on "  and wished us a pleasant stay in Devon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RDfella

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #91 on: 24.07. 2019 16:13 »
Berger - best of luck with he car. IMO it's either water in the fluid (unlikely if it had a good bleed 2 yrs ago) or a faulty seal in the master cylinder. Just because it's new or nearly new, doesnt mean much these days I'm afraid. New clutch master cylinder on my Jag around three years ago. Couple of months ago went to the range with it - fine. Went to leave and the clutch would only disengage for  1 - 2 seconds before taking up drive. Fluid was bypassing master cylinder seal. Made for an interesting drive home.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #92 on: 24.07. 2019 20:22 »
RD fella you may be correct , I got a mate to press the peddle while I was underneath , no hose problems and no spillage. it took about 30 seconds before he felt the peddle start to give- then it bottomed. I have made a bit of progress today even though it took a while to separate the exhaust tail pipe, this was only fitted 2 years ago but as we know corrosion makes quick work of welding things together. I cut a decent piece of T I MB e RR and spread it across the car and used two pieces of plate to stop the stands digging in DIGGIT *bright idea* common sense really ---- but as my girlfriend says---" how do you get common sense?

Online RDfella

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #93 on: 24.07. 2019 21:04 »
Rule of thumb - if it's not losing fluid from the reservoir, then it's bypassing the master cylinder seal.

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #94 on: 24.07. 2019 22:48 »
 Maybe yours doesn't have a vacuum booster....? .....Last year I accidentally bought a '02 Twin cab Hilux Fourby from my mechanic buddy- he said if I get the brakes working he can do a RWC and I could have it for $1500...They failed on the way to the tip, so he replaced the rotors/calipers, drums/shoes Master cylinder and the proportioning valve, but no glory (He hadn't done the wheel cylinders, but I pulled them out and checked them to be fine, so back in)...
  After a lot of re-bleeding I decided to look at the booster servo and found a split rubber so went for 2nd hand from wrecker- (first one had a split rubber so gave me another)......stuck it in and *Hey Presto*- pedal stayed up and stoppies allround    *beer*   *bright idea*

edit;  *woo*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #95 on: 24.07. 2019 23:06 »
duTch, I guess you mean a vacuum operated brake servo. Bergers car does not  have servo brakes.

This the same model that Berger has. https://images.app.goo.gl/svFt3hMtBZqajEATA

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
« Reply #96 on: 25.07. 2019 00:25 »
haha greybeard it nearly had the plywood floor pulled up and girlfriends feet on the ground , just like way back with the old cart episodes *eek*

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #97 on: 25.07. 2019 06:16 »

duTch, I guess you mean a vacuum operated brake servo. Bergers car does not  have servo brakes.........

yes I addressed that to start with, but having a fancy U-beaut Stainless steel Master cylinder, it may have also have a retro booster boost to boot...

bergs- is girlfriend name Betty?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
« Reply #98 on: 26.07. 2019 13:38 »
I am going to the pub *beer* in the picture is where the inner arch has been cut in the past probably to try and get the axle out without dropping the springs etc and the nasty taper damper rod thingymajig . I need more room to swing the cat *whistle*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #99 on: 29.07. 2019 10:01 »
G'day fellas.
The "do not disturb" sign is out again. The DVD of this years Isle of Man and another DVD of on bike laps arrived. That's about 13 hours of viewing. Bugga, only 12 hours till I have to go to work. Might be late.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
« Reply #100 on: 02.08. 2019 21:16 »
I have not been to the pub and its friday *eek* today I found out the differential on the morris hate had been run without much oil according to the colour of the internal castings and much oil and muck debri under the car. the good news is the axle that came from Liverpool has a good diff but not much else any good. [ axle is so rusty I took one look and nearly cried thinking I would never get any nuts off but much patience and the odd swear word helped] when I tried to undo the nuts on my diff of course one of them just kept turning so I gave it some *work* when diff was out I noticed all the fixings on these diffs are 3/8  bsf set screws relying on spring washers holding them in the axle and the threads were bad so maybe a touch of weld on the rebuild. I need new hub bearings and oil seals and it will be a slow job before the wheels are back on. I have never had to do this job before in all my life and I don't want to do one again.  *whistle* EDEEET  whoopsadaisy telling porkies 5/16ths BSF set screws

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
« Reply #101 on: 02.08. 2019 21:19 »
I must sort my new gift of an upgrade phone out this old one doesn't show a good enough picture  this is the drive pinion I rested on the ring gear for the photo. the pinion is shot and the ring gear tells its own story

Online RDfella

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #102 on: 03.08. 2019 09:53 »
What a mess - that crownwheel is certainly mangled. Never seen one that bad. Must have been churning a few lumps of metal to do that.

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
« Reply #103 on: 03.08. 2019 10:51 »
RD fella it was moaning a bit before the brakes failed and changing down broke its back. [ read previous posts] the photos don't really show up how hot it had been in its history. I had drained the old oil and put new in but the underneath of the car shows it must have thrown its oil out years ago and the damage had started , maybe someone stopped it throwing it out again but too late. all I can say is its a good job these old cars have hand breaks that WILL stop you in an emergency not like todays cars where it is called a PARKING break

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #104 on: 03.08. 2019 17:08 »
its a good job these old cars have hand breaks that WILL stop you in an emergency
Does not apply to Land Rovers  ;)