Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 3811 times)

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #150 on: 06.09. 2019 22:16 »
No bike work again. Today I had to make and fit a rear stub axle to grandson's 246 Dino (Ferrari) in order to refit the rear wheel, that had come adrift.

The model car is just 200mm nose to tail and is not designed to be maintainable. Nonetheless it had to be repaired, of course.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #151 on: 07.09. 2019 00:27 »
Get him a Schumacher Terry.

Online berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #152 on: 08.09. 2019 23:02 »
give me strength, no give me beer *beer* I rebuilt the brakes on the morris hate/ morris mmmm and used the fluid the previous owner had left with the car because one lot wasn't opened. things didn't go well and I discovered he hadn't forced  bigger rubbers into the slave cylinders but they had expanded with the mineral oil just like the brand new ones have *cry*  . I don't think they sell Lockheed orange brake fluid anymore so i was under the illusion he had bought the correct fluid for the car *doh*. fed up isn't in it *pull hair out* *bash*, so everything had to be taken to bits again and everything cleaned out , new rubbers and flexi hoses fitted. onwards I march with DOT com 4 fluid and plenty of ruined rubber, not to mention the big hole in the beer vouchers fund *sad2*. this car was supposed to finance the building a berger , never mind so long as it gets the diff in and the wheels on before it gets cold and miserable the clutch judder can wait,  after the hours I have put in up to now I plan on having some time driving it-- maybe *shh*, thankyou for listening.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #153 on: 09.09. 2019 09:35 »
I recently mentioned the effect of using mineral oil in the clutch of my Ford Consul.

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #154 on: 09.09. 2019 09:55 »
Berger, always found girling brakes (reddish fluid) better than lockheed (clear fluid), despite the latter being used on aircraft. The girling rubbers had a bevel on the lip which seemed to seal better and last longer. As for fluid, I think it was Citroen (plus a few moderns) who used an oil incompatible with those two systems. You should be OK with any modern Dot 3 or 4 fluid.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #155 on: 09.09. 2019 10:00 »
I've been using dot 5 silicone brake fluid in my mini and frogeye for over ten years. Very pleased with it, doesn't absorb water so no rust and no stuck brakes. Although, because of the lower boiling point, not suitable with hard use disc brakes.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #156 on: 09.09. 2019 10:23 »
Had to fit a new headlight into the Audi A6.
The LED DRL had gone belly up.
This involved taking the front end off to get at the fixing bolts.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #157 on: 09.09. 2019 15:46 »
I bet that was an expensive fix!

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #158 on: 09.09. 2019 16:03 »
I bet that was an expensive fix!

Just over £200.
I got one of these none genuine shells from Germany and fitted the packs and bulbs from my old light.
It is indistinguishable from the genuine thing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scheinwerfer-links-f%C3%BCr-AUDI-A6-4F-10-08-3-11-XENON-D3S-LED-LWR-Stellmotor/392026130539?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #159 on: 09.09. 2019 16:48 »
About 20 years ago I had a Volvo 740 estate. One day some idiot knocked the drivers door mirror off. It cost me £120 just for the parts!

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #160 on: 09.09. 2019 17:04 »
About 20 years ago I had a Volvo 740 estate. One day some idiot knocked the drivers door mirror off. It cost me £120 just for the parts!

Couldn't you find a used one ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #161 on: 09.09. 2019 20:48 »
Servicing my partner’s car. Engine was making a bearing noise, which I suspected was the timing belt tensioner. As it was time for its pre-winter service, I decided to give it the full monty, so new belt and tensioner, new plugs, oil and filter, new drive shaft gaiters. Disc pads were almost gone so new ones. One rear wheel cylinder was about to leak so replaced that. One of the front to rear steel brake pipes was starting to rust, so replaced that section. Now normally that would be a simple job, but as replacing the whole length meant removing the fuel tank, I decided to cut out the rough part and join in. That’s where the fun started. I’ve got all necessary garage equipment including brake flaring tools, but this pipe really played me up. No way would it flare, it was just too hard. And to make matters more interesting, the OD is neither metric nor imperial. Presumably they went by bore size, which is highly unusual. In the end the only way I could join in a new section was by using 3/16 hydraulic compression fittings. In over 50yrs of fixing cars never had to do that before. And so went Sunday afternoon and most of today. Keep looking at the project and hoping I can get that fired up before winter, but there’s so much other stuff waiting for my attention …. *roll*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #162 on: 09.09. 2019 20:59 »
G'day fellas.
Whilst at work (I work all over the place sanding and polishing timber floors) yesterday the neighbor to where I was working reversed her tray back ute out her driveway. Straight into my drivers door. Made a nice mess, couldn't wind the window up and looked like rain. So spent the rest of the afternoon and evening getting quotes, submitting a claim to my insurance co and a little slide hammer work  to close the window. Booked in for repairs next week and get a rent a wreck till done. BUGGA
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #163 on: 09.09. 2019 22:17 »

Couldn't you find a used one ?
I cannot remember if I tried to find one.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #164 on: 10.09. 2019 09:11 »
My brother's C4 Picasso lost a nearside mirror. Just the replacement mirror cost £1000 without the fitting charge. It was full of lights, sensors, motors and other gubbins. The connecting loom wouldn't of looked out of place in a telephone exchange.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA