Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 8179 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #195 on: 29.10. 2019 17:21 »
Is that a Lou wide neck, Roy? Been thinking of putting one on mine - got big fingers.
Good Advice
No reactions
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #196 on: 29.10. 2019 17:32 »
Is that a Lou wide neck, Roy? Been thinking of putting one on mine - got big fingers.

No, it's a Fender USA replacement neck.

ebay description.
This is a brand new Fender Stratocaster 70's style replacement neck RRP £549.
It has a gorgeous rosewood fingerboard. Bought for a project that I will not now complete.
This is the same neck as used on the American Special Stratocaster. Please study the pictures, they are part of the description.

Fingerboard: Rosewood
Number of Frets: 22
Fret Size: Jumbo
Neck Shape: Modern "C"
Neck Material: Maple
Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
Nut Material: Synthetic Bone (Melamine)
Nut Width: 1.6875" (43 mm)
Position Inlays: White Dot
Truss Rod: 1/8" Truss Rod Adjustment Nut
Standard 4-Bolt Neck Mount
6 Pre-Drilled Tuning Machine Holes with 2-Guide Pin Holes for Each Tuning Machine
Each neck is serialized and stamped during quality inspection
Walnut "skunk" stripe on back of neck
Dual string tree design
Fender® Logo Decal includes "Made in USA" and "Original Contour Body"

Was like this before 

Good Advice
No reactions
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #197 on: 30.11. 2019 21:00 »
track day on the modern - see pic.
actually most of that ripped up rubber was coz some drifters (cars) had been on the track previously so we were picked up their debris like lumps of snot. but i'm not telling anyone else that
Good Advice
No reactions
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Offline ChasF

• Moving Up
« Reply #198 on: 02.12. 2019 18:58 »
Winter is meant to be the season for fettling the bike but, unfortunately, in my world there is alway something else to do. The priority at the moment is to get the camper van sorted for a trip further south over Christmas but even getting to this is proving testing. Last weekend was spent chopping firewood - which should have been done months ago, and clearing a few other repair jobs from the workbench to make space for the camper chinese diesel heating project. With a bit of luck progress should be made this coming weekend!
Good Advice
No reactions

Exiled Brit living in the Dordogne

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #199 on: 02.12. 2019 23:45 »
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #200 on: 17.12. 2019 15:18 »
Santa says have 'A' happy Christmas!
 *beer* *beer* *beer* *beer*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
« Reply #201 on: 11.03. 2020 17:28 »
today I had a biggish clear out of stuff that was no good to man or beast, like old oiled and greased carpet pieces I used to lay on under the morris hate/ morris mmm. At the tip a chap gave 5lts of unopened millers classic 20/50 mineral oil to the tip attendant because he didn't know what to do with it, guess what? the berg zoomed in and brought it away with him , nice little £30 odd saved  *dribble*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
« Reply #202 on: 06.04. 2020 20:18 »
Feeling crap stopped me working on my bike today *cry* *red* *problem* :( *angry* *sleepy* *sad* *pull hair out* *sick* *sick* *sick* *spider*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #203 on: 07.04. 2020 09:41 »
Get checked please mate.
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #204 on: 07.04. 2020 10:11 »
Feeling crap stopped me working on my bike today *cry* *red* *problem* :( *angry* *sleepy* *sad* *pull hair out* *sick* *sick* *sick* *spider*

I really hope you don't have the lurghy!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #205 on: 07.04. 2020 10:13 »
Cheers Musky.  I've been having some dodgy symptoms for 7 days now but feel a bit on the up today.  Tight chest, headaches (big ones), aches and pains, bad belly and absolutely washed out knackered.  I've not had much of a fever or cough though, so could be C-19 or not.  I do consider myself to have mild to moderate symptoms of C-19 and it's very uncomfortable, unpleasant and a bit worrying, but I'm a battler and won't take things further unless I really have to (my wife works for the NHS and probably brought it home with her) - the kids seem fine though.

ADMIN - I know this is C-19 related, but if you could bear with me.  The things I found helpful are:

Keep eating even though you may not feel like it - you need your strength.
Keep drinking (water Berger *eek*) - you need to be hydrated and alcohol will diminish your immune system.
Rest as much as you need at any time for as long as you need.  Lie down at a 45 degree, propped-up angle.
Take deep, controlled breaths whilst resting to keep your airways open.
Take a little exercise when you can manage it.  Even if it's going downstairs then straight back to bed for hours.  Helps to maintain a normality about life.  Don't overdo it as I did on Sunday, completely wiped me for Monday - couldn't get out of bed!
Keep all medication to hand.  Ask your doctor for extra supplies and emergency meds if appropriate.
With my chest (lifelong asthmatic), I found Vicks Vaporub to be very comfortable when a bit tight chested.
Use a nasal spray decongestant if your nose is blocked (see your doctor if on other meds).
I found sucking a menthol sweet in bed helps with sore and claggy throat, and can be quite comforting.
Don't have any tight clothing around your waist and chest.
Have a window open from time to time, but don't get cold.
Use Paracetamol, it reduces the pain (and therefore worry) about pains around your chest/ribcage if you have them and makes things a bit more comfortable.
Get the missus to massage or gently thump your mid back if you feel tight chested.
DON'T READ THE BLOODY NEWS - they run stories that'll scare the bejeebers out of you.
Expect to be knackered for quite a while.  If you get into the mindset of 'however long it takes' it reduces stress and therefore does not hinder your immune system.
Don't be afraid or ashamed to shout 'help' if you need it.  Only you will know when you need extra support.

There may be some others to add, but feel free to share these tips with others if you think it'll help them.

Take care of yourselves - 'A' owners are the Salt of the Earth.
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline Sav

• A's Best Friend
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #206 on: 08.04. 2020 08:58 »
Moving the axle forward on our Phoenix trailer in the optimistic thought that it might be heading to 'The Island' later this summer!

Bought a nice Phoenix two bike trailer with brakes to enable us to carry loads that threatened the 750kg gross mass limit for unbraked trailers in GB. It was horribly nose heavy at 110kg empty so decided to move the axle forwards. The axle looked too far back.

Axle was easy, now six and a half inches forward, bit of a bugger of a job around the constricted places surrounding the brake rod, but tare nose-weight now 25kgs. I'll get a couple of BSA's on it today and see if the ramps need moving to maintain the balance.

Let's hope I get to use it this summer!
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. Turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #207 on: 11.04. 2020 12:12 »
I have a triumph and a Norton  *smile*. The poor old BSA's just keep on going and dont need any fixing
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #208 on: 11.04. 2020 12:22 »
Still getting over C-19, can breathe a bit better today but still need plenty of rest. *sad2*  As soon as I can, I'll grease up the dynamo bearing, check the tyres, put some more oil on the chain, clean the shades and wait for the energy to return (and the lockdown to end).  I'm on furlough at present (good thing), so hopefully extra riding time coming up!! *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #209 on: 11.04. 2020 14:13 »
I have been making a summer-house in the garden for some weeks. The house is made of re-used doors. The floor is old scaffold boards.
I decided the summer-house needed a wood burner so on a cold evening we can go and read books or listen to a radio play. The stove is made from an old fire extinguisher, (ironic?) welded to a chimney made from a road sign post that had been knocked over. I had to cut several feet off below a sharp bend. The extinguisher and the pipe were plastic coated so that had to be burned off. The stove needed a door. I remembered a nice way to make a laterally stable hinge from years ago: The Triumph Vitesse and Spitfire cars had a throttle linkage that had threaded rod in nuts acting as bushes welded to a bracket. I used the same idea to hinge my stove door.

Picture 1: A fire extinguisher on fire, burning off the plastic coating.
Picture 2: The fire door.
Picture 3: Curing the heatproof stove paint.
Picture 4: Ditto
Picture 5: Installed. A large porcelain floor tile as heat shield.
Picture 6: Work in progress. I made the Chinamans hat for the chimbly.

PS. If you have an electric welder and you do not have one of the modern welding helmets that automatically dim, I can thoroughly recommend them. I bought mine in Aldi.
Good Advice
No reactions