Author Topic: What prevented you from working on your bikes today  (Read 8143 times)

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
  • Don't think about it, just ride it!
Re: What prevented you from working on your bikes today
« Reply #300 on: 23.07. 2020 14:52 »
Yeah, Black Sheep, what is it about wives, relatives and redecorating *????* *????* *????*  We've just painted the kitchen, I've put a new side on the bath with uPVC cladding, about to plumb in a new ladder radiator then it's painting the bathroom.  She then wants to decorate our bedroom before moving on to carpet cleaning and laying a self-adhesive vinyl floor in the kitchen.  I'm knackered just thinking about it!

Good job the weather's rubbish as I'd be climbing the (newly painted) walls just now.
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #301 on: 23.07. 2020 16:20 »
I've been putting it off for years... Rellies are son, his wife and grandson. Son is obsessively neat and tidy, as are the rest. Not like wife and I. I rebuilt his Norton 88 after he cooked the engine on the autobahn - melted both pistons and a rod let go. Loads to do to it, brakes, gearbox, engine and more. Used up most of my spares stash. At the end of it he had a good looking bike going well. I've just heard that he has handed it over to be professionally restored... *problem*
Good Advice
No reactions
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #302 on: 23.07. 2020 16:24 »
Not all today (or even in the same week), but....

Can't (don't want to) assemble crankcase before soda blasting.
  • Most importanly, don't dare make a master plan. Be spontaneous.
  • Buy Harbor Freight soda blaster.
  • Can't run soda blaster on small compressor.
  • Borrow second small compressor from father-in-law.
  • Configure "T" to run compressors in parallel.
  • The borrowed compressor needs new regulator.
  • Hardware store for regulator
  • Wrong regulator. Back to Hardware store.
  • Garage circuit can't run two compressors.
  • Route two 15A circuits in conduit from basement to garage.
  • Back to hardware store for electrical parts.
  • Tear apart basement and garage for routing conduit.
  • Decided on 20A instead of 15A circuits.
  • Therefore, bought wrong wire. Discovered I had what I needed anyway.
  • With bright flash and a loud bang, knicked existing wire in conduit between basement and garage.
  • Stop to reset breaker and repair existing wire. EDIT: Not in that order!
  • Uhhh, wrong receptacles for 20A circuit. Back to hardware store.
  • Fasten and tidy-up conduit installation and put basement and garage back together.
  • Struck by pang of electrical professionalism, read National Electrical Code regarding ground fault interruption in the garage.
  • Plan trip to hardware store to return two regular receptacles for two GFI.
  • (Ten forgotten steps/mess-ups.)

No soda blaster yet.

Hey, you asked! *smile* I defy you to come this clean on your own debacles. *smile*

Richard L.

Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
« Reply #303 on: 23.07. 2020 17:43 »
it always  makes me chuckle when I see evidence of wife's wanting / needing new things, a mates wife has just started re decorating and he said " not again it's not long since last time" after that he found out she had ordered all new furniture to match *eek*, yes a different breed some females- not all. when I was always in the pub people used to say how do you afford it. I would say " well the girlfriend doesn't want a new kitchen--- new carpets-- new fridge freezer-- or new washing machine every 2 to 5 years, and the windows and doors open and close so every things fine. my neighbour threw out an expensive kettle because "it's the wrong colour" *pull hair out* we have been using it for two years now, it looks alright to me *beer*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #304 on: 23.07. 2020 21:30 »
G'day Fellas.
Yesterday bought a 457 Lt fridge/freezer for the bar in the shed (also good for freezing bushes etc), arrives today. Went up to Bathurst and bought a BBQ (6 burner with rotisserie and wok burner) good for heating crankcases and heads. Ordered two bike lifts, 2.2m long, 680Kg lift, air/hyd arrive Monday. Once they arrive I can get back onto the bikes. Service the 51 A7's clutch is 1st job. Next week going down to Sydney for the rest of my w/shop machinery (lathe (360x1000), drill press, 20 ton press and parts washer).
Then I have outside house/garden jobs as long as my arm!
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #305 on: 24.07. 2020 15:38 »
Right with you Berger.  I never minded that I had a lower paid job than my wife so she was the main breadwinner (true of late anyway).  That way, it's her hard earned cash that is at stake when it comes to wasting money on things that we don't really want or need.  Actually, she isn't that bad, it's me that hates waste (use it up and wear it out).  I hate the profligate, whimsical consumerism that pervades our society.  Like Berger, I'd take most people's 'seconds' any day of the week.

Sorry Musky, going off topic again.
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #306 on: 30.07. 2020 16:11 »
more old unusual than your household reasons guys ,I've ( 2 weeks ago) been given this little beaut  as a project/get brother out of doghouse !
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #307 on: 30.07. 2020 16:40 »
more old unusual than your household reasons guys ,I've ( 2 weeks ago) been given this little beaut  as a project/get brother out of doghouse !
I enjoyed the MGB. It was a good solid no nonsense sports car. The performance was pretty good for the period and the price. My sister and hubby had an MGB GT, then they had an MGC, then an MGB V8.
These days don't expect the adjective 'solid' to apply.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #308 on: 30.07. 2020 17:38 »
Strangely GB it does apply to this one ,rebody shelled about 30 yrs ago ,when he got it ,never out in the rain , garaged for best part of 35 yrs , dropped a grate of wine bottles on it when the wine rack let go dented left wine (worst ) 1 dent on right ,2 on bonnet ,last straw for my brothers wife fed up with it in garage etc etc He asked to friends to have it no thanks ?? was the responce casual natter and its mine his wife very happy ,1 brother now happy ,I have toy ,which is running now ,well just , mixture way way rich and SU HIF carbs  goggle's gonner get a bashing !
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #309 on: 03.08. 2020 11:08 »
Heh, my 'annus horribilis' continues unabated.  As you know, having had suspected Covid for 8 weeks, I was in rehab phase when my wife started her second summer of mid-life crisis.  Already under considerable stress from Covid recovery, this put me under even more strain, so much so that, when trying to drive to and from a brief getaway, I started having immense headaches, weakness in my left arm and left side, and tingling in my face and neck.  This led to dizziness and weirdness in my vision so my wife had to take over (I've never had to stop driving before even when feeling rough).  On the way back, the same thing happened after a few miles, leading to us having to cancel our wedding anniversary getaway which was to follow.  On returning home, I rang our GP who said I should go to A&E or ring an ambulance immediately.  Having debated for about an hour, I asked my wife to take me in.  After being admitted to the stroke ward for scans and tests, I was released the following day having been assured I did not have any cardiac or stroke/TIA issues, and that the reason for what happened was given as neurological trauma (possibly linked to Covid damage), exacerbated by extreme stress.

The good thing about all this is that I know I'm physically fine.  What I need to do is get my head sorted.  Thankfully, supporting my wife is helping her, and things have started to improve again of late which is also helping me with the stress of dealing with it all.

I'm still getting the weird, occasional numbness in my left arm and jaw, but I'm told this isn't unusual after a migraine.  My head is more stable now that I know it's not directly physical, but there's still that feeling of 'what's going to happen next' with my wife's situation.

Thanks for listening guys, but this is the reason I've not been out on the beast recently.
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #310 on: 03.08. 2020 11:28 »
Can you get any help with your wife? Last year I had to take my partner to see a psychiatrist after she started having blackouts as a result of stress after her brother was killed in a car accident. Fortunately she didn't follow the 'I'm fine, I don't need that' line.  Going further back, I was full-time working and sole carer for my elderly mom. I once aske the nurse who called every other day if help could be arranged and someone duly came round. My mom sent them away, saying she didn't need any help (she couldn't get out of a chair and sat in it 24hrs a day). Thanks mom. The stress almost killed me and started a heart complaint I have to this day.
You need support worthluck. Making yourself ill caring for others helps no-one.
Wishing you the very best and that your situation improves very soon,
Good Advice
No reactions
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #311 on: 03.08. 2020 11:50 »
Thanks RD, so sorry to hear of your own troubles although comforting to know that I'm not alone.

My wife did see a counsellor for a while, but that ended without things progressing too much.  I think my wife suffers from huge guilt issues brought about through past experiences, and lacks confidence etc.  It seems she is trying to make sense of how she feels about everything, not just me, but can't find the answers that satisfy her.  She does have friends, but I wonder how much help they give her.

The hardest bit is not knowing what's coming next - whether she'll melt down completely or recover.  I do think you're right though, I need a bit of support and she needs to get professional help - especially if this continues.

Thanks again pal, but why the hell can't life be a bit more simple!!
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online BigJim

• Valued Contributor
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #312 on: 03.08. 2020 17:39 »
Gosh, you chaps have had it rough for a while. Makes my problems feel pretty insignificant. Been in the wars myself so know there is very little to be said of any use. Keep on keeping on, somehow.
Good Advice
No reactions
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline wortluck

• Resident Legend
« Reply #313 on: 03.08. 2020 19:29 »
Cheers BigJim!  You're right, of course, there's not a lot one can say except to hope it'll all be ok.  I do know it will end and all WILL be ok one way or another.  The biggest battle is getting to the end and knowing the end is actually there to get to.

Makes you realise how precious all the good times are - perhaps it takes episodes like this to stop us getting too complacent.

By the way, I did manage to get to the garage and start prepping the beast for the next run out - whenever that will be. 

Feeling positive at the moment! *smile* *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
'62 Flash
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #314 on: 08.08. 2020 11:09 »
My wife and I just had a week staying in a caravan in Cornwall. Our kids and their partners camped on the same site. It was our wedding anniversary on August 1st. 50 years ago we drove to Acton Registry office in our ex fishmongers Morris Minor van and got hitched. I refused to have a church wedding as I don't have a religion and felt that making promises to a supreme being I don't believe in would be hypocritical. Consequently, Janet's Catholic Irish father refused to attend the ceremony and cut us off for a few years. He came round to accepting me eventually.

The plan with the anniversary was for all of us to stay in a large house near a beach for a week. Covid restrictions made that impossible. We've rebooked the house for next year.

BTW, the weather in the UK is very hot at the moment; 30 degrees C, plus.

PS: I've just donated money to help with the horrible Beirut situation. Please will you consider adding some support, if you can.
Good Advice
No reactions