Author Topic: Triumph 500 Trophy Trail / Adventurer ? NOT BSA Please help.  (Read 601 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Had the chance to look at a strange off road 500 Triumph. Never seen one before. 500 cc unit engine with distributor. Triumph / BSA looking frame ( not a road frame, higher off of the ground ). Japanese front forks with front disc brake and nice wheels. Rear wheel Japanese with disc brakes. Has a small alloy tank with a yellow stripe going in through it and some very nice alloy levers. Off road / green lane tyres.
This bike was bought as an unfinished project which is 99% done and has been done tastefully and with high quality. Registered as historic and a very nice engine and gear box. It is immaculate to look at. I could not get the frame number or see the V5 as I was dealing with a lady.
I am trying to put a price on something like this for a private sale. I have looked at the pictures of these on google by searching Triumph Adventurer. This one looks at the higher end quality wise. Will the Japanese parts devalue a great deal. I know someone who rode it a couple of years ago and they had a big smile on their face. Sorry no pictures at the moment. Registered 1966 'D' Reg. Price either way please. Thanks

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
An unfinished special is worth the sum of its parts, if you break it and take the trouble to sell the parts.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Hi. This bike is an engineering thing of beauty and will be back on the road soon. It will never be broken in my days. There is just a technical issue at the back of the gear box to finish it.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
It may be great, but that’s not what you asked.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
JWO...Just trying to get a handle on this.

Possible options as you presented it.

1) A lady wants to sell the bike, has no idea of value, and has asked you to estimate its worth.

2) A lady wants to sell the bike, you want to buy it, but have no idea of value and what you should pay.

3) A lady wants to sell the bike, you want to buy it, but have no idea of value and what you should pay.  So with a vague description, other than it is a one off, you ask the Forum Members to value the bike, unseen.

The answer is that the price paid is the monetary value when cash changes hands and buyer and seller are agreed. The cash value depends on who is buying, who is selling plus the other variables....desirability, rarity, utility, condition, negotiating skills, desperation, e.t.c.... you name it.

If you are buying, you know in your own mind what it is worth to you, and what you are prepared to pay.  If you have been asked to value it, and you have no idea, then politely decline, leave it to someone else to sort.

At least our favourite online auction site gives a live insight in to the real world of buying and selling, so at the end of the day that is one place where you can easily direct your research.

Hope this is of some help.

Swarfy.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Hmmmmm. Well I guess we can all google up this kind of info;

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-british-motorcycles/triumph-tr5t-trophy-trail

I'd guess that the Japanese componentry that will make it a better bike will not help the resale value. £4 - £5k maybe?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
That is what the machine looks like, but obviously the one I have seen is an older bike by about 6 years. I am curious as to what frame it may have, it has not got the road frame.  Can't wait to see the V5 and the machines frame number. Thanks for helpful reply. I did look at Triumph Owners Club which appears to be a closed Forum for members of the club.