Author Topic: Another A10 newbie from the New Forest !  (Read 1022 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Another A10 newbie from the New Forest !
« Reply #15 on: 19.03. 2019 23:20 »

Hi Dutch and Raj
Sorry I made the same mistake ????       Its a J.A Prestwich  engine,..........

*lol*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 20.03. 2019 09:14 »

......A friend of mine built a japanese special almost an identical colour Blue  *conf2*

Actual Japanese ? Or.....more *conf2*  ?
Dutch, if you read the thread from the top you'll see the problem with the initials J A P.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 20.03. 2019 10:36 »
G'day Fellas.
Yes I edited the 1st post to rectify the forums auto correct from japanese (I did type oriental abbreviation) to J.A.P.
Funny the pictures look fine this side of the equator. LOL.
Nice little weapon raj.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 20.03. 2019 12:47 »

Quote from: duTch on Today at 07:39:25

......A friend of mine built a japanese special almost an identical colour Blue  *conf2*

Actual Japanese ? Or.....more *conf2*  ?

Dutch, if you read the thread from the top you'll see the problem with the initials J A P.

GB, I did, that was the whole point of my comment

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline rajclassicbiker

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 20.03. 2019 13:04 »
Hi John,
Thanks for the info. and I can confirm that the full engine number is PO/P-----B* . As I read it it is '250cc OHV 1920 modified gear cover and exhaust lifter specially prepared for record attempts- speedtuning for customer/rider requirements ' The valves are exposed . I have never seen a single of this configuration at this date however all the lettering appears genuine and is in the correct position on the engine casing . I will have a look for further markings/names as you have suggested there might be .
By the way it goes very well - I have had it running at 50mph with loads left to go - sadly I am not brave enough to go any quicker and certainly don't want to blow the engine up !
Cheers and do let me know if you have any further info. I hope your back is not causing you too much grief . If you are anywhere in the South of England you would be welcome to see the bike or maybe at a show .
Raj 

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 20.03. 2019 17:36 »
Ragardless. There is not not a single thing about that bike that I'm not loving the look of.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 20.03. 2019 19:09 »
Hi Raj,
Did you know that J.A.P re used the letter coding for a second run starting in 1940 (Aug 39)
This is why ads for J.A.P are often mis labeled, very common to see 600 sv engines from rotovators advertised as pre 30 vintage. Real pre 30 sv engines do not have detachable heads

Attached are some photos from my J.A.P book
The 1924 pic shows the "New" ohv engine
The RE pic shows he "Dog Ear " engine which was the ohv type made up until very late twenties
Your type engine was not made until approximately 1929/1930

So I believe your engine is a 1940 year model which must be very rare as WW2 broke out a few weeks after the 1940 year codes started to be used in August 1939
Could you post a few close up engine photos please? Is the cylinder finning shaved? hard to see in the pics you posted

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline rajclassicbiker

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 20.03. 2019 19:22 »
Hi John,
Fascinating stuff and thanks for your efforts . I am going out this evening but will attempt to get some more pics maybe tomorrow - weird that they would do a competition engine in 1940 ! Do you by any chance live within striking distance of the New Forest ? Maybe I could show you the bike as you clearly have some great history .
Funny we should end up talking J.A.P. on an A7/A10 forum .
Cheers,
Raj

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 20.03. 2019 19:56 »
Hi Raj
I am Irish so there's a drop of water in the way  *eek*
However brexit permitting I am hoping to go to Stafford at the end of April to the show
You are not far away from Cameron Engineering, a chat with the "Dad" there might give you some info on your engine
Post WW2 J.A.P continued to make competition engines as well as industrial units
As far as I know only one post war road bike featured a J.A.P engine ?? AJW

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline rajclassicbiker

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 21.03. 2019 11:00 »
Hi John,
I do get over to your beautiful Country ( not as often as I used to !) . We have family in Killarney and I was a frequent visitor to the NW200 ...very fond memories !
Anyhow interesting that you should mention AJW given they were pretty local to me . The builder of this bike was an engineer in Devon . I can't find any images of a AJW with my particular engine and open valves .
I did try Cameron Engineering a while ago and they were only interested in the big V engines now . I had been asked to run the bike on the sand at Pendine but until I can be sure of getting parts ( should the unthinkable happen to my engine !) I have declined .
Anyway I will attempt to get some more detailed photo's for you to  see .
Cheers,
Raj