Author Topic: Found a reason for occasional but persistent oil return failure  (Read 1566 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
... my pipes require attention.
As the Actress said to the Bishop  ;)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
in between playing with the gearbox I had a look see at my STILL empty crank cases . I found out I could easily get a piece of 40 thou soft wire past the ball all the way around it and up to the near 90 degree bend I didn't want to force it round the bend because it was ally wire and if I broke it I would have been more than fed up *problem* *bash*

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
and if I broke it I would have been more than fed up *problem* *bash*

And then you would have to go to the pub! *eek*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
and then you would have to go to the pub! *eek* well today I am going to the pub , not been since last Friday *good3* i'm getting better at realising one day in the pub costs me two day's not getting things DONE, that's because I am an all or nothing kind of guy, I can't go for a couple--- it has to be - or it ends up being a 10 hour shift  *countdown* *help* and trying to get the key in the door about 3am with the house door moving left to right and up and down *eek* *doh* and as older brother say's workshop time is better than PUB time!!, but first I am shedding and concocting a G clamp with attachments to pull in the needle rollers on the rrt2 thingy so when the cases are something like sizzle spit hot if they don't drop in after being in the freezer like good little bearings and behave I won't have to  *bash* *bash* *bash* them  *sick* . thankyou for listening *smiley4*

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Have posted in my original thread https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13251.msg116330#msg116330. Test went as expected jar emptied and good return to tank.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Angus, By chance did you note how much the ball lifts into the housing? As I mentioned, there seemed very little gap for oil flow on my valve.
Swarfy.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
I did check it all using this and the other thread. The bar is in the pipe and the ball lifts well away from the bottom probably half way up. Sorry should have done a picture but its back together now.  and I am going to try her again today.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Angus, Thanks for looking. Before esteemed member GB says it, for good health it is always a good thing to check....

Regards.

Swarfy.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
swarfy just looked at A7 ss cases and ball the goes up 3mm ish

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
bergs, Thanks for looking. Mine is a definite restriction compared to the lucky folks with the bar half way up the housing. Looks to be some curious variance at work here. Fortunately this motor is currently in pieces, a basket case with all the usual wear, tear and neglect. But as a complete unknown it is a case of checking every part for evidence of why it failed. This faulty pick up pipe could be part of the answer.

Don't get paranoid folks, just check the valve for free movement every time that sump plate comes off. Be interesting to see how other valves are set up.

Swarfy.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

I usually poke a piece of wire up there when I do an oil change and let it drain, and from memory there's not a lot of movement- fairly much just enough for the wire to go up, probably about 1/8", but can't see it needs more anyway
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
Josef’s bike has much more freedom of movement for the pickup ball which disappears completely into its chamber when poked with the wire. I had to go over to Germany to fix it last week (bike is now home near Munich) I have left him with strict instructions check return oil flow every time he starts the engine and I think he’ll be alright - I scraped and scraped at the ball until dinner time in my efforts to get the last bit of roughness/corrosion off it which might jam it again. This will probably be my last post since the bike is gone now and back in it’s owner’s care. He took it to the TUV last week and the tester was bowled over apparently. These things can still look attractive to the younger generation, there’s hope yet. In the meantime my next project is on the way. Fraid it’s not a Beeza, just a late T•••••h twin which hopefully is going to take me tourng in Belgium. So long and good luck to you all especially those who have spent so much time and effort trying to help me. And if you happen to be in Ypres in mid May look out for a red and white T•••••h Daytona. I’ll buy you a drink at least. We are staying in the centre so should not be so difficult to spot.
Cheers
Steve

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS