Author Topic: After market oil filter on plunger a10.  (Read 849 times)

Offline oldbikerbill

• Moving Up
  • 1954 Bsa A10 Plunger. Located outside San Diego,
After market oil filter on plunger a10.
« on: 07.04. 2019 04:34 »
I've got my old plunger A10 running again and I'd like to use it regularly.  I was considering adding an oil filter  so  I was wondering who has mounted one and where.  Pictures would be appreciated also.  Thanks again for all of the help so far, I've had this bike for 30 years but it's been 25 since I used it regularly.  Cheers!
Bsa A10 Plunger, '72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado,'73 Bmw r75/5

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: After market oil filter on plunger a10.
« Reply #1 on: 07.04. 2019 06:10 »

I'm tagging in for berger art yet another pub watching a 90 story crane dismemberment from a distance.... bit like watching grass grow or paint dry really....I have a Noturn/Citroen type filter on my Plungo and it's mounted about where the back end of the toolbox would be, with the return from the engine more or less straight in to it, and the return hose  from the filter routed under the tranny and more per less straight into the tank.... no pics available just now, but is on the forum somewhere...can find one or two later...
 I daresay that you'll be given as many options as there are respondents to this question,  and comes down too what works best for you....(I adapted a couple of 3/8" copper 90° elbows to transition from horizontal to vertical)

.. good luck  *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 07.04. 2019 06:53 »
Lots of options depending on if you want it hidden or not. Here are a couple of pics of one I fitted to a A10 I had.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.04. 2019 08:52 »
I'm very happy with my idea of fixing the Norton style canister to the rear mudguard, behind the gearbox. I needed to loose one of the brackets that steadies the guard. See next post.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.04. 2019 08:56 »
Here is a post about fitting the oil filter:

I bought a Norton 850 oil filter head and filter from Ebay intending to fit it in the toolbox of my plunger frame GF as others have done. However, the assembly was too wide to fit in the toolbox so I have mounted the filter on the rear mudguard behind the gearbox using nylock nuts.
Both parts are dull black so fairly inconspicuous.
When mounted the filter head union stubs point towards the chain.
I've used Goodyear 8mm/5/16" ID reinforced rubber pipe to do the plumbing.
The oil feed pipe from the oil tank to pump union pipes is as the original.
The return from the pump is carried over the top of the gearbox, down between the vertical frame tube and the gearbox then gently curves around to meet the filter inlet stub.
The filter outlet pipe is routed tightly underneath the gearbox and then up behind the pump union assembly so it appears adjacent to the original metal pipes. It lines up nicely with the rocker feed banjo and oil tank connector.
Finished off with proper hose clamps it looks neat and not too obtrusive.

Here is a link to some photos of the setup.

http://tinyurl.com/cqbbnj7

PS. This will not work for a Swing-Arm frame, as there is not enough room behind the Gearbox

PPS. Because the canister is mounted vertically virtually no oil gets spilt during changes. Any spillage gets caught in a drip tray.

PPPS. It's a cheap solution

PPPPS. No loss of tool carrying capacity
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 07.04. 2019 10:24 »
Here's the version I fitted last year to my 1960 swing arm A10. It uses the standard filter element used on 350cc & 500cc Royal Enfields, so it's reasonably priced and readily available. 

Last week I drained the oil and changed the filter on my bike leaving it empty for the 3 weeks I'm now on holiday in France (so there won't be any wet sumping) . . . and  *bright idea* I did leave myself a large A5 size note saying 'NO OIL' in big red letters on the petrol tank. It was the first time I've change the oil filter since I fitted the filter and I found it dead easy and with very little spillage onto the rag I laid on the top of the chain case.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's site, which also has my photo (as below) with my explanation how I fitted it.

http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/parts/oil_filtration/oil_filtration.htm

1960 Golden Flash

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 07.04. 2019 10:36 »
I've done a few plungers and a rigid; in the tool box.

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 07.04. 2019 18:01 »
Here's photos of my hide de hide oil filter. Search this forum, there's loads of info on oil filters.

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 11.04. 2019 10:24 »
Hi Orabanda
that's a really nice neat job, what type of filter/housing is that? Where are they available?
Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR