Author Topic: Found a head gasket leak as well now.  (Read 619 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Found a head gasket leak as well now.
« on: 08.04. 2019 21:47 »
After making up some new ht leads and putting in new plugs, I took it for a run round the block, about 5miles. Still running rough but not as badly as it was. Got home put it on the side stand while I opened the garage then noticed a couple of drips of thin oil on the floor, on inspection these seem to be coming from the head gasket. I got a torch to see if I could see anything between the fins, tiny fizzing bubbles on the head gasket (copper).
Obviously i need to get the head off and sort it, but would this account for the rough running issues I’ve been having. (Misfiring, back firing, reluctant idle, hesitant acceleration, puffing back through the carb).
I suspect the gasket has been leaking since I got the bike, as I noticed drips after my first ride but didn’t see where they had come from. Don’t usually use the side stand either so hadn’t noticed it dripping since that first day, until now.
Cheers you lovely people
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Found a head gasket leak as well now.
« Reply #1 on: 08.04. 2019 23:26 »
G'day Jase.
A leaking head gasket will give a drop in performance but I doubt very much if it would give all your symptoms.
The head may just need re-torquing but the rockerbox must come off, so a good chance to rip the head off. Anneal the gasket and inspect the bores.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.04. 2019 01:05 »
Hi Mr Muskrat
That was my thinking too, dreading what I’m going to find though. I was hoping to go to the Stafford show on it but looking unlikely at the moment. Oh well.
Cheers
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.04. 2019 16:01 »
Mine wouldn't run too badly in the early stages of the gasket going. give away was the 'chirping' under load.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 27.05. 2019 13:46 »
Hi Minto, I would make sure the head gasket is good. I tried for a couple of years to get my A10 to fire better on the left hand side. Eventually found out the solid copper gasket was 0.008" thicker on the right side than on the left. Good luck. Gerry

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 31.05. 2019 16:52 »
Cheers Barry
It’s the left mines blowing on too. I’ve got a new gasket, just waiting for some free time to get it done.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR