Author Topic: Metal particles In oil after rebuild  (Read 627 times)

Offline Stevie1262

• Moving Up
Metal particles In oil after rebuild
« on: 12.04. 2019 20:32 »
Finally got my 59 Gold Flash running after it had been sitting in storage years...had to rebore it due to rings being carboned up and dampness marking bore ...bottom end looks to have been rebuilt new bearings and rods...so I didn’t touch it...fired up and running sweet but was wet sumping so I removed the drain plate to free stuck  ball bearing and noticed metal particles on the magnetic drain plug ....when I checked again tonight there is some more ...now it’s great that the magnet is doing it’s job and it’s really fine bits of metal  but is this to be expected in a rebuilt motor ???? ...concerned of Dunfermline

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Metal particles In oil after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 12.04. 2019 21:24 »
G'day Stevie.
You will always get a little iron/steel "dust" on the magnet after re-bore from the rings/bore bedding in. Depending on the grade of hone to the amount of dust and may be showing for 100 miles or so.
There shouldn't be anything bigger than a grain of salt.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Stevie1262

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 12.04. 2019 21:44 »
Cheers Muskrat I thought that it might  be the rings bedding in to bores thanks for reassurance ..when I pulled the metal off it was really fine ...best running A10 Motor I have ever had smooth and good starter....and a small oil leak from oil pressure switch so happy now...if it hadn’t leaked I would have worried 😀

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 08.05. 2019 19:15 »
My A10 had a fine oily mush of iron filings on the magnetic sump plug after a rebore and new pistons and rings, it's normal as the components bed in. The amount decreased over time and eventually stops. Any that get past the magnet will be pulled out in my filter on the return line. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about.