Author Topic: Grease in the primary chaincase A10  (Read 2123 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Grease in the primary chaincase A10
« Reply #15 on: 14.04. 2019 00:10 »
G'day Phil.
I've never had much luck using o rings under the screw heads. Tightening the screw squashes the o ring out of shape and impossible to get good torque on the screws. I found thick fiber washers work better.
Does yours have the drain/oil level bolt from under the outer cover?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 14.04. 2019 00:43 »
Have you got the two gaskets between the case, spacer and crankcase?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #17 on: 14.04. 2019 00:59 »
the front three  5/16 screws go into crankcase and get oil down the threads and sometimes between engine and primary inner where there's two gaskets and a steel spacer, they can be a swine to stop weeping unless you want to put oil resistant thread lock on . not something I would do , I used a small amount of ptfe and it cured mine, make sure the inner case is plumb and fastens correctly to the frame near the foot rest, sometimes it has to be spaced with a washer or suitable spacer

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 14.04. 2019 01:55 »
Hi Phil,
Welcome to the Forum!
Fibre washers behind the drain and level screws will seal them perfectly; o-rings are "hit and miss".
Draganfly and other well known BSA suppliers will have them.
Richard

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 14.04. 2019 07:02 »
Phil, As mentioned  earlier, (Trev)  if assembled correctly your engine should have a circular metal spacer, 42-7509, between the drive side case and the inner primary cover. Listed as a "Joint Washer".  Use two gaskets, one each side of this circular spacer, bedded with your favourite jointing. A cereal packet makes good material for these homespun gaskets and should stop the drips.

The primary case should not need O rings under the bolt heads. The chain case gasket seals the mating faces of the the inner and outer cases, this obviously includes the entire area around the bolt holes. When the cover is pulled down nice and tight, oil is excluded from the bolt holes as the gasket settles and seals. O rings will just get squashed. The exception is on earlier models which have cutaways  on the internal face of the primary cover casting for level and drain. These bolt positions each need a fibre washer to seal. Thanks "O".

The inner case should bolt to the frame at the rear mounting without being under any strain, as berger says, washers or a spacer sometimes needed here.

Swarfy.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 14.04. 2019 08:01 »
I don't like Allen screws in these cases because they can be overtightened and distort the case and also pull up the metal around the threaded holes. If you must use Allen screws only tighten them with a screwdriver with a hex bit.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 14.04. 2019 10:01 »

Those fibre washers must be a special item, as I can't find them anywhere and even when I ordered them specially from the dreaded DraganQueens, they sent me something totally wrong *rant*- and 'O' rings didn't work for me either- but maybe worth doing them between the joint faeces

I don't like Allen screws in these cases because they can be overtightened and distort the case and also pull up the metal around the threaded holes. If you must use Allen screws only tighten them with a screwdriver with a hex bit. 

I understand that, but in the words of Dirty Harry, " a man needs to know his limitations"....an Allen key will do the job if one doesn't use a breaker bar *work*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 14.04. 2019 10:17 »
Those fibre washers must be a special item, as I can't find them anywhere
I got lucky. I found a box of assorted fibre washers in Aldi's. I've put fibre washers on all the primary case screws.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 14.04. 2019 11:56 »

Quote from: duTch on Today at 20:01:24

Those fibre washers must be a special item, as I can't find them anywhere

I got lucky. I found a box of assorted fibre washers in Aldi's. I've put fibre washers on all the primary case screws.

The trouble with assorted packs is having 95+% crap that there's never a use for....until 10 seconds after ditching the 95%  *eek* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 14.04. 2019 13:31 »
The trouble with assorted packs is having 95+% crap that there's never a use for....until 10 seconds after ditching the 95%  *eek* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Aldi stuff is cheap.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #25 on: 14.04. 2019 21:17 »
G'day fellas.
I use the thickest 1/4" id fiber washers, put 6 on a screw with a nut, stick screw in the drill and grind the od to size.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 14.04. 2019 21:28 »
Hi All,
I read on another forum recently where someone resorted to welding up the inner ends of the tapped holes
on the inner primary case  *eek* *eek*
Non setting gasket sealer on the threads (hylomar or DP300) works well for me

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 15.04. 2019 08:09 »

...I read on another forum recently where someone resorted to welding up the inner ends of the tapped holes
on the inner primary case  *eek* *eek*....

yep *eek*.....*conf2*

....I use the thickest 1/4" id fiber washers, put 6 on a screw with a nut, stick screw in the drill and grind the od to size....

I did that with a couple but that stuff is harder than it looks *work*
Australia

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #28 on: 16.04. 2019 06:27 »
I use allen screws with no washers and use a allen key to tighten. no leaks and use ATF *beer*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA