Author Topic: engine strip-down  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
engine strip-down
« on: 16.04. 2019 19:09 »
As the frame and swinging arm and other bits are at the sandblasters, I started the engine today, p/o loved his orange instant gasket, it is everywhere having been squeezed out from all the joints, the head is very rusty at the front between the two exhaust valves, some fins have been lost but will not show and I as well as a renowned BSA engineer are confident that it will not cause any problems with the cooling, the two front bolts put up a fight but I won in the end, head and barrels came off ok, the inner timing cover was broken around the mag gear, but a replacement should be with me soon,the crankcases split ok, all the bearings are fine and will be reused, however the sludge trap caps were not going to come out, even my impact driver failed, so I welded a nut on through the centre, the first one the nut sheared off, but a centre punch against the weld moved it, I used a bigger nut and got more weld in it and that one came out with a spanner,
Yes greybeard it was sludged up but soft more like thick oil will clean it all tomorrow, which way does the sludge trap go in and which end has the cap with the spigot on?, I just did not take notice.

beezermacc

Re: engine strip-down
« Reply #1 on: 16.04. 2019 22:39 »
The Cheshire Branch of the BSAOC has some good tips on their page. This should provide the information you need....
https://sites.google.com/site/cheshirebsa/tech-tips

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 17.04. 2019 10:11 »
Thank you beezarmacc just the ticket.

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 23.04. 2019 20:39 »
just started to re-assemble the bottom end today, all going well, however I have a grub screw in the box of bits I do not recognise, it is like the tappet side retaining screw but smaller, I just dont remember taking it out, but must have as it is in the box, it is not the pump drain valve screw that holds the spring and ball in place, any ideas?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 23.04. 2019 21:20 »
G'day Rich.
Would it be one of the cam follower stopper screws that goes in the barrel to hold the followers in place.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 23.04. 2019 21:50 »
whos getting tired then or is it the eyesight failing, *smile* *smile* I did mention those screws in my post

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.04. 2019 23:14 »
I don't recognise that description. Can you post a picture of the object, alongside a ruler, for scale?

Is it possible that some wag has dropped it into the box to mess with you?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 24.04. 2019 03:14 »
I have been to the  pub *countdown*  it could be a gearbox selector shaft grub screw thingy or it might be a pain in the ass screw from the cam followers ,----pain in the ass if it is ;) but then again it can't be a follower grub screw because any follower worth its salt would drop out of the barrels when fitting them.but you haven't fitted them yet so scroll on and buy me another black& tan please- while I think about them there grubs getting at my strawberry  plants then running off and hiding somewhere---- swines they are!!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.04. 2019 05:03 »

I have been to the  pub *countdown*........

The Pub or the strawberry fields...?    *whistle*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 24.04. 2019 11:09 »
Sorry Rich, it was 5:30AM and getting ready for that four letter word starts with W ends in K. Berger may be on it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.04. 2019 23:10 »

The only other grub screw I can think of easily is the one that holds the selector shaft in the gearbox...

Probably best to do GB's suggestion;   
.....Can you post a picture of the object, alongside a ruler, for scale?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #11 on: 24.04. 2019 23:51 »
o dear keep up dutch, that was mentioned while I was in the strawberry fields forever *bash* *whistle*

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 25.04. 2019 06:58 »
sorry to put you all to so much trouble that some had to go to the pub, while pondering the grub screw, having gone through the parts list and workshop manual, I happened to see the top yolk lock in the box, why that was in the wrong box I do not know, but the offending grub screw is the lock locating screw, conundrum solved.
Thank you anyway chaps,

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.04. 2019 09:10 »
... four letter word starts with W ends in K...
Steady on Musky!!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 25.04. 2019 09:21 »

.. dear keep up dutch, that was mentioned while I was in the strawberry fields forever *bash* *whistle*.

Aaaaah- yeah was that the strawbs on the left or the right.... *whistle*

... ...I have been to the  pub *countdown*  it could be a gearbox selector shaft grub screw thingy or...

*edit* ;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYbFFFZwdE

Australia