Author Topic: engine strip-down  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Re: engine strip-down
« Reply #15 on: 24.07. 2019 11:29 »
following on, I had the bike finished bar the front tyre, and after not being able to start it as the kick-start kept sticking at the top of its stroke, I replaced the Quadrant and gear, problem sorted, started it last Saturday after draining the sump, it ran rather sweetly except for the smoke it was putting out, I let it run for a good half hour with the occasional blip on the throttle and it still smoked, after a short break tried it again and after a few seconds it was smoking again, so off with the head and barrels, I know the valves and guides were ok as I checked those when I lapped the seats, so I took the barrels to my local engineering shop who confirmed that at most they were half to one though worn, so were good but needed the glaze taken off, I decided to fit new rings but after being quoted £60 od £'s for a set I decided I may as well fit pistons and rings at £90, I went with Wassels Hepolite as the pistons are supposed to be good and they source better rings to go with them, so Calne bike day is out for the BSA as is the Hampshire BSA camp, but still on target for the International open day on the Sunday, fingers crossed as we all know that the unsuspected can happen with old bikes.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 24.07. 2019 13:12 »
Hampshire BSA camp
I intend to be there
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 25.07. 2019 07:57 »
I know that Richie and two others from South West wales are going this weekend, I was thinking of coming without a bike in the motorhome, but I pulled the muscle or ligaments  in my right arm last night so thats off the cards as well, as I cant drive, even typing on this keyboard is difficult