Author Topic: Centre stand  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #30 on: 31.05. 2019 06:01 »
re posting these as they didn't stick last time...
the centre stand from my B33 plunger . the centre stand from my SA Gold flash and the angle of tilt on the side stand ....
if you need any more tech images with measurements..let me know
Guy

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 31.05. 2019 08:18 »

I'm thinking this thread could maybe split into Swing Arm/Plunger stands because it cones a bit confusing at times when 2/3 are talking about one and the other 3/4 are talking about the others..... *conf2*  ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 31.05. 2019 08:26 »
Looking at the lean angle when on the side stand I would think that there is quite a bit of wear on the stand. I have just repaired my side stand for my swinging arm model it was leaning over too far. A good test is  with the bike on the center stand pull the side stand out and move it up and down there should be minimal movement, my stand at the end you could move it up and down by over an inch this lets the bike lean over too much which also puts extra strain on the stand. I corrected mine by adding weld to the stand lug then filing down until the stand is a good fit back on the lug also I added some weld to the back stop thus preventing the stand from hitting the  exhaust when folded up. The center hole was slightly elongated and I was going to drill out and make a new pin but after the welding and putting a bit of weld in the hole and filing to suit the pin is now a good fit.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 31.05. 2019 09:06 »
My post was more for Minto to show the centre stands. I believe both of mine are genuine and may help distinguish if Minto has a genuine stand not.. I have my centre stand removed as the roads here are none to smooth and it bounces up and down banging on the silencer and grounds out occasionally.. there are trees around to lean on when I want a more vertical position...
Guy

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 31.05. 2019 10:15 »
Guy...I think you have assumed all plunger frames have the same stand. Alas, this is not the case. The correct A10 Plunger stand has two pivot bolts, as the return spring passes through the centre of the stand, not on one side.

Musky gave a link to a picture of what a genuine stand looks like, and you can see the difference as your B Model plunger stand has a single pivot shaft. The A10 plunger design of stand gives greater lateral stability, required for a heavier machine.  I would not say the S/A stand is by any means an improvement, but a compromise to suit the all the basic S/A welded   frames.

Regards,

Swarfy

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 31.05. 2019 17:40 »
Interesting - the stand on my '58 GF is as the centre picture, same as the picture in the parts book, although the latter appears to be welded up tube.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #36 on: 02.06. 2019 02:56 »
Hi Guy, thanks for taking the trouble to post those pics, my stand is however a different design, and apparently correct but just worn and bodged.
Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 13.06. 2022 03:34 »
I'm presently altering my earlier (42-4731) centrestand - adding a foot-lever to it. My foot-lever is nowhere near as long as the post '58 type, but it should be a great help easing the lump onto the centrestand. I've used a high tensile bolt (about 5/16"), bent it at right angles, and it's threaded into the centrestand foot and has a nut tightened up hard against the stand foot. I now need to attach it permanently. I think it needs to be brazed as the stand is malleable steel. That right? or can it just be welded?

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 13.06. 2022 14:46 »
Arc weld is best. I used HT bar x 1/2" for the lever I made for mine. Not sure 5/16 will cut it ...
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 14.06. 2022 00:30 »
Arc weld is best. I used HT bar x 1/2" for the lever I made for mine. Not sure 5/16 will cut it ...

That's handy - arc weld will do it. My arc welding is about as useful as tits on a bull, but anyway... (I meant 7/16" not 5/16" - It's actually a  long 12mm HT bolt).

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #40 on: 14.06. 2022 10:33 »
Any photos of the process would be great - I'm thinking of doing mine.   *lol*
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #41 on: 15.06. 2022 03:13 »
I bought a cast stand from Feked for my 58 SR which originally had a one year only fabricated stand that clearly didn't cut the mustard. The Feked stand seemed a good bit of kit and needed only that I swap the spring perch to the other side as the 58 model required to fit straight on. Three or four years and I've had two issues. Firstly the lifting arm that makes it a very easy operation to lift the bike broke its brazed joint and so had to be repaired and then just a couple of months ago at the petrol station I attempted possibly a bit roughly to lever the bike onto the stand and there was a clatter and one leg was lying on the ground. Luckily I hadn't let go and was able to keep hold and deploy the side stand. Out with the ancient Youngs Model B welder and all is back together. There was a clear discolouration half way through the break which showed that there was a fault in the casting so I'm damn glad it went the way it did and not as some small child bounced on the seat. I'm a bit ginger with it now but so far all is good.
NZ

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 15.06. 2022 06:55 »
Here's a pic of mine.
(Note previous brazed repair - new heavy walled tubing crosspiece, pinned and brazed).

The new 'footpeice' is a 12mm HT bolt, bent, threaded into the stand foot. and locked with a nut. Note that because I have a siamese zorst I don't need a long footpeice lever extended to clear a LH zorst because there ain't none.
Plan is to weld it so the footpeice can't rotate. I may add a larger 'tab' on top to step on because the bolt head is pretty small.
Whatever I do, I'll optimise the stand height - either grind the 'feet' down or pack them up to make it easy to roll-on.

(Slymo... I'm pretty wary of just welding this 'malleable Iron' Are we safe just welding up a broken leg do you think?)

Moderators... why don't 'Attached' files appear in 'Preview'? I've linked this image file to my outside image viewer app because when I tried Attaching, the image wasn't visible in Preview. Or maybe I missed something.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 15.06. 2022 08:29 »
I bought a cast stand from Feked for my 58 SR which originally had a one year only fabricated stand that clearly didn't cut the mustard. The Feked stand seemed a good bit of kit and needed only that I swap the spring perch to the other side as the 58 model required to fit straight on. Three or four years and I've had two issues. Firstly the lifting arm that makes it a very easy operation to lift the bike broke etc

I can explain that...Feked sell shite of the first order.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 15.06. 2022 09:07 »
Cast iron for a stand? Surely they should be forged, like a spanner.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash