Author Topic: spark plugs in the U S of A  (Read 819 times)

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
spark plugs in the U S of A
« on: 17.05. 2019 22:43 »
     The new auto's do not require the spark plug insulator down inside of plug to be porcelain any longer, so they do not do that.  If you over tickle your bike when starting it from cold and get the Insulator too wet it is the same as flooding the bike and it will not start, so moderation on your tickling if you have U S plugs. 
    Not sure if the U K plugs have done this also.  With the advent of almost all cars being fuel injected with no foot on the gas pedal to start a car, (computer does it all) , then it is really easy to have a flooded bike start syndrome.  When I found out they were going to do this I bought a lifetime supply of new old stock Bosch plugs, these BRIT Bikes also like Champion plugs, (Champion Plugs are the most cheaply made plugs on the planet)   but BSA's like them.  Every 3rd NGK plug made is DUFF right out of the box around here.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: spark plugs in the U S of A
« Reply #1 on: 18.05. 2019 09:29 »
The problem is Californians.
You really should give it back to the Mexicans.
White porclean glaze is made from lead oxide.
With the excessively high combustion temperatures required in modern lean bur engines because they will cause life to cease to exist on the planet , where as jets that dump around 100 gallons of raw fuel out the back every take off apparently have no effect on the enviroment.
Anywhay the glaze breaks down & emits the DEVILS METAL into the atmosphere.
So if you have never done any science you will be unaware of things like entropy so the fact that lead compounds made at 2000 deg C and 500psi can not be broken down by your body will be well & truely beyond your comprehension.

Thus the plugs can no longer have a glaze.
Without the glaze the insulator collects fuel
Because fuel is not petrol and conducting, the plug goes bad unless you burn it off.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 18.05. 2019 09:33 »
Ha, wot he said ^
I use plugs one or two grades hotter, and easy on the tickle.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 19.05. 2019 08:52 »
The method I have used for a long while which usually works is thus.
Unless the engine has been running for 1/2 hour or more
or
Unless i will be stopped for an hour or more.
Then the fuel taps get turned off & the engine is forced to starve off.
In the very last few strokes the engine burns very lean thus cleaning the plug so it will start the next time I try.

The same applies to putting the bike to bed, off with the fuel.

Prior to doing thi s the bikes would not start when just warm like getting fuel 10 minutes down the road.
With the twins, one plug would always foul when trying to start and a cold fouled plug can only be cleaned by burning off the fuel residue.
The amazing thing is just how long a hot plug can burn ( just like a candle ) for.
I have has some burn for near 15 minutes.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 19.05. 2019 09:51 »
A few years ago I had a problem with my A65 which was missing quite badly could not trace the problem until I spoke to a guy who runs a repair shop for old bikes he told me that I should fit new plugs, I informed him that the plugs were quite new and had already cleaned them. He then asked how I cleaned them I had used the same method which was a wire brush having done so for many years. According to him that was the problem modern plugs do not have the porcelain glazed so when you clean with a wire brush you leave tiny particles of metal on the porcelain which causes misfire. I fiited new plugs  missing cured and now clean plugs with  contraption that works with grit and compressed air, works great no more missing the grit is in a bag and you insert the plug in the other end connect to compressor takes a couple of minutes and plugs are clean.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2019 10:08 »
... Fuel taps get turned off & the engine is forced to starve off.
I have got into the habit of doing this.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.05. 2019 14:09 »
Sooo, what's he answer regarding glaze on plugs outside the U.S.A.?

Now, Trevor, I'm a Californian transplanted to Illinois, so don't go blamin' me.  As for returning California to Mexico, no such retroactive justice is on the plate in the U.S., else NY would be returned to the Iroquois and California to the Chumash.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.05. 2019 15:20 »

..........As for returning California to Mexico, no such retroactive justice is on the plate in the U.S., else NY would be returned to the Iroquois and California to the Chumash. ..

Fair call... *good3*

I don't have much problem with plug failure, generally use one bike or the other daily if I need to- both have NGK BP*ES/BP*EV? and generally start up ok- the only problem I had recently was when the maggie shat itself a couple of years ago, but been running sweet since it's fixed
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 20.05. 2019 07:27 »
Sooo, what's he answer regarding glaze on plugs outside the U.S.A.?

Now, Trevor, I'm a Californian transplanted to Illinois, so don't go blamin' me.  As for returning California to Mexico, no such retroactive justice is on the plate in the U.S., else NY would be returned to the Iroquois and California to the Chumash.

Richard L.

The Champions I get for the mowers have glazed electrode insulation
The NGKs are unglazed
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.05. 2019 09:33 »
Raise the compression ratio and run on diesel *lol*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.