Author Topic: A65 Clutch and 1st Gear.  (Read 1568 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
A65 Clutch and 1st Gear.
« on: 11.05. 2019 15:46 »
Recommissioned the A65 OIF today. Sounded nice but did not want to go in first gear, was fine before it hibernated. The only thing I have done is to fit a complete new SRM Clutch. Pulled away in second ok and went up and down the gearbox, but don't like first gear. With the engine off it selects fine. Any thoughts please.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: A65 Clutch and 1st Gear.
« Reply #1 on: 11.05. 2019 17:05 »
My plunger sometimes has difficult going in first, specially when cold.
I then have to release the clutch, pull it back in and select first immediately while the mainshaft still spins. Looks like the teeth have to be in the right position for them to engage.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 12.05. 2019 14:30 »
Bit of a loss here, cannot find first gear at all and it feels like I have a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd Gear. I have tried rocking it with the engine shut down, can only find 3 gears. This was fine last time I rode it, could something have jammed or moved on the selector. The whole box was cleaned and inspected last year. Thank you in anticipation.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.05. 2019 15:15 »
possible broken return spring on the selector?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2019 16:58 »
I seem to have sprung resistance  on the gear lever in both directions. Sounds like I need to get the cover off. ?

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.05. 2019 17:03 »
I'm with Bill on this. There are spring loaded plungers on the gear selector and camplate. Spring loaded to return these items ready for the next gear selection. A seized plunger on standing or a failed return spring is a likely cause of your malady.   A good run if possible, or prolonged idling to get engine and box nice and hot, could be all you need to help free off if seized. Otherwise it's pick and shovel time and the joys of unit construction, 'cos it is a whole lot more complicated than the A10 box, seems they build the bike round these plungers.

More information on Brit Bike Forum, just internet search under A65 Gear Selection Problems. Sorry folks, I am not too cute at posting direct links. Sump Magazine (online only) has a bit of background on A65 Clutch set up, should you need it.

As to the clunk into first gear from cold, the trick was to kick it over with the clutch lever pulled back, before turning on the ignition. This would free off the plates, and avoided the loud rattles and clunks when the input shaft remained driven by drag but rarely proved effective at completely stopping the clunk, as the gearbox input shaft still crept round with little to hold it still. The design probably needs this amount of initial movement to get the drive dogs aligned to start with. Once under way the simplicity of a constant mesh box and groaning layshaft bearings are there to enjoy. At least you knew first gear  had gone in, before making a fool of yourself.

Swarfy.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 12.05. 2019 17:42 »
Thanks Swarfy. Are we all talking about the return spring or the Cam Plunger Springs ?  Just what I need to cheer me up, a bloody good run on the bike in the sunshine. Hope it works as I have been mucking about with the gearbox on my unit Triumph this week as well. Been dreaming about the clutches and gear boxes in my sleep. Might have to get the Vespa out. Regards.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.05. 2019 19:41 »
JoWoW
  Yes we are. All have to work in harmony, so one bad apple spoils everything. Could be either or all. Have a look at the diagrams on the Draganfly Parts Lists. You can pick out the offending items. Not a truly comprehensive list for every variant, but gives a good idea of what's where. You will see the plungers and springs, getting to them looks to be a bit awkward.

Not saying this is the answer, but seems a reasonable place to start.  Hang on a bit and another member  may add further thoughts.

If you can do a Triumph Box (Three Handed Ambidextrous Upside Down etc) this is easy.

Swarfy.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 13.05. 2019 17:25 »
Was hoping for some overnight answers from the southern part of the world. Wondering whether to overfill the gear box with oil in the hope that the plunger is just stuck and needs lubrication to free it off. Wishful thinking  *conf*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 13.05. 2019 20:51 »
G'day Col.
The only other thing I could think of. Did you check the alignment of the chain wheel and engine sprocket? If it is out (one way or other) it could cause thrust on the mainshaft giving trouble when running and OK at rest.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 13.05. 2019 22:20 »
Thanks for that Muskrat, can't even find first gear with the motor off whilst rocking the bike  *sad2*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 14.05. 2019 09:42 »
G'day Col.
Just a stab in the dark, mate. Been a long time since I've been inside one of those. Swarfy's reply jogged a few brain cells.
Probably a complete coincidence clutch swap and gear prob at the same time.
Has the stop plate 68-3083 moved on the shaft?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 14.05. 2019 15:35 »
Hi Muskrat.Pulled the cover of today and all looks well ? I overfilled the gear box with some spare oil and warmed the engine up and lowered the tick over as much as I could. Straight into first gear nice and quietly, then back into neutral. Unable to test fly today as I am off to work. Fingers crossed and thanks for replies.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 31.05. 2019 16:10 »
Took it out from cold again, straight into 1st gear and changed gear with ease, after about a mile I stopped but could not select 1st gear at all. Got home with the other three gears. When it cooled down I got it into first. Very frustrating as I am missing a few ride outs which I have been looking forward to for months.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 31.05. 2019 17:12 »
AH now I had similar, not saying the cures the same but I ended up putting two gaskets between the outer and inner cover and it's worked (please don't ask me for a reason why I'm very much a suck it and see engineer)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco