Author Topic: Clutching at straws  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
Clutching at straws
« on: 15.05. 2019 10:56 »
Well, I finally managed to achieve the near impossible - a totally oil tight primary drive case. The bike is running beautifully and yesterday I had a lovely 80 mile ride through the Lake District in the sunshine, enjoying every moment, Until...

About five miles from home my gear lever worked itself loose and dropped off (which it is prone to doing).  I realised that this must have been within the last mile or so, so I managed to swing the bike round in the road and slowly ride back looking for it, riding the clutch in second to stop the engine stalling. I eventually found it, and re-fitted it, but by this time there was smoke issuing from the back of the clutch and the casing was scalding hot to the touch. I left it to cool down and tried to start it, but now the clutch was slipping so badly that there was no way I could get it to turn the engine over.

I abandoned the bike and hitched a lift home to collect my car and trailer. This morning I tried it again, thinking, rather optimistically, that it might have cooled properly overnight. No change. Have I completely knackered my clutch plates or is there anything else that I can try before disturbing my oil-tight primary?

I live at the top of a hill, so I was considering having a go at bump starting it, in the hope that that might free things up a bit, but I am not sure that would work either.
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutching at straws
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2019 11:49 »
Well, I finally managed to achieve the near impossible - a totally oil tight primary drive case. The bike is running beautifully and yesterday I had a lovely 80 mile ride through the Lake District in the sunshine, enjoying every moment, Until...

About five miles from home my gear lever worked itself loose and dropped off (which it is prone to doing).  I realised that this must have been within the last mile or so, so I managed to swing the bike round in the road and slowly ride back looking for it, riding the clutch in second to stop the engine stalling. I eventually found it, and re-fitted it, but by this time there was smoke issuing from the back of the clutch and the casing was scalding hot to the touch. I left it to cool down and tried to start it, but now the clutch was slipping so badly that there was no way I could get it to turn the engine over.

I abandoned the bike and hitched a lift home to collect my car and trailer. This morning I tried it again, thinking, rather optimistically, that it might have cooled properly overnight. No change. Have I completely knackered my clutch plates or is there anything else that I can try before disturbing my oil-tight primary?

I live at the top of a hill, so I was considering having a go at bump starting it, in the hope that that might free things up a bit, but I am not sure that would work either.

Check there is free play in the clutch cable? as the plates wear the cable can tighten up and cause slip.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2019 15:17 »
Thank goodness for the optimism and knowledge of folks like KiwiGF.  My call would be that the case must be opened, friction and plain plates inspected and, minimally, tightening of clutch nuts.

I've had the situation where I failed to tighten the clutch adequately, then it was nearly impossible to start. In that case, 400 other riders took off on the DGR before I could get started and ride with one other straggler stranger, who is now a friend.

Richard L.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: 15.05. 2019 15:53 »

Check there is free play in the clutch cable? as the plates wear the cable can tighten up and cause slip.

You absolute star! I have just slackened on the cable a bit and it was still slipping. I then slackened it off completely and tried to bump it. After several attempts it fired and I then gradually tightened the cable back up as I was riding along. The plates have now all freed themselves and the clutch and kickstart are both working fine again.

But best of all I didn't need to disturb the primary case! Where would we be without this forum?

Thanks again.  *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.05. 2019 17:14 »
Mosin. You ain't done yet. After your next little run, drain off the nice hot  oil. What comes out  will give an idea of how much damage has been done. Strain off the bits or change for fresh as appropriate. The clutch pushrod should be under no load with the clutch fully engaged, so a little slack on the handlebar lever is what you need, don't forget there is further adjustment available on the gearbox clutch lever, under the gearbox end cover inspection plate.

Get yourself a cheap spare gear pedal, keep in the toolbox. This will ensure your fitted pedal never falls off again!

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.05. 2019 18:34 »
... ride with one other straggler stranger, who is now a friend.
Something good came of it then :)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.05. 2019 18:37 »
Get yourself a cheap spare gear pedal, keep in the toolbox. This will ensure your fitted pedal never falls off again!
That is why I now carry a spare A10 engine with me!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #7 on: 16.05. 2019 07:38 »
Cable ties! Have the same problem on my M23 and could not find the lever on one occasion.

Small cable tie around the lever doesn't look too unsightly and loosely loop it to the frame or whatever is convenient.

Lever has not fallen off since!
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: 16.05. 2019 08:45 »
I was thinking of araldite on the spline. It seems a bit drastic, but providing I could get the spline and lever clean enough it should work. The other idea I had was to use a dremel with a grinding disk to slightly widen the grove in the lever itself, thus allowing it to be tightened up tighter. I have seen some interesting solutions on here where the end of the spline was drilled and tapped and a screw and large washer put in place to hold the lever in situ. That looks effective, but requires a bit of extra work.
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 16.05. 2019 09:45 »
I use thin ss lock wire through the slot and around the speedo cable. I also carry a bent 14mm ring spanner. A nice tap fit on the spline that got me 100 miles home after loosing mine!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.05. 2019 10:01 »
My gear lever dropped off at a very inconvenient time.

Fitted a replacement spindle with circlip which prevents it falling off again.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 16.05. 2019 12:19 »
My gear lever dropped off at a very inconvenient time.

Fitted a replacement spindle with circlip which prevents it falling off again.
Genius!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #12 on: 19.05. 2019 11:52 »
I have opted for a cable tie through the groove in the lever and round the back of the speedo cable. It might not be the prettiest fix in the world, but it gets me back out on my bike, and as the wise man once said... "If it is effective: It is right!"
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 19.05. 2019 14:37 »

....... I have seen some interesting solutions on here where the end of the spline was drilled and tapped and a screw and large washer put in place to hold the lever in situ. That looks effective, but requires a bit of extra work.

I did that, so maybe that's what you read, but with an ulterior motive to fit remote controls (not radio) but have since realised that the stock placement works just fine anyway, but at least I now don't need to worry about losing the lever....(admission time#1;- It's tapped with unf thread ) *shh*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

ironhead

« Reply #14 on: 19.05. 2019 23:12 »

...(admission time#1;- It's tapped with unf thread ) *shh*

at least it wasn't metric *bash*