Author Topic: Road rocket problems  (Read 1182 times)

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
Road rocket problems
« on: 16.05. 2019 02:04 »
Hi mates
This is a continuing problem Ive been having ,but will start afresh
Road Rocket w/- super engine was running too rich, was starting Ok  but was surging a bit, so  fitted a new needle/ needle  jet, still rich,  so dropped the needle a notch, now on the lowest /the first time I too it out was missing  at pilot / needle jet change over  but not all the time and ran well most of the time , but acc' missed a bit , Yesterday morning flooded the "Monoblock" but wouldn't start after good hard kicks , thinking too much fuel held the throttle about 1/2 open after 1 or 2 kicks it started rough/missing etc but but settled down to ok tickover, rode quite well but with acc' missing, went about 10 kms , stopped for about 1/2 hour, this time no flooding to start, still hard to to start till I opened throttle wide open then missing till settled down, went fine on the freeway from low down to flat out,, had the colourtune on it fine at tick over , i also took the plug leads off in turn each and cylinder ticked over fine on each cylinder , but sometimes the tick over is erratic but not always ,,, The engine is still running rich but not as bad
Been right thru the magneto plugs / leads / pick up / brushes etc great spark and no arcing at the points , I did take the slide block out before maybe I stuffed up w/- that, if it wasn't for the hard starting I could put up w/- it any thoughts P/S do they have a brush behind the points plate?  mine didn't I put one in ,, it didn't help
Barry
WA

ironhead

Re: Road rocket problems
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2019 04:45 »
Hi Barry.
Float level may be a bit high. If an engine idles good when cold it usually means its too rich.
Also maybe check the needle jet holding block, there should be a fibre washer under it. Make sure the small locating screw on the r/h side is not binding the block & stopping it seating properly.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2019 05:09 »
not so sure about the needle jet holding block requiring a fibre washer?
Although the parts list shows one, I have found the float level is usually too high. Removing the washer brings the level lower (to the level of the dimple on the outer cover).

Richard

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2019 06:54 »
Hi Mates
Thanks for the tips ,,I did check the fuel level, was spot on, going put the needle where it was ( correct  position)
Barry
WA

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2019 07:24 »
Bazza.. There is another carbon brush under the pan head slotted screw adjacent to the magneto name plate. This is the earth return between the armature and body. Worth checking as failure here can give all manner of erratic running. The later steel points backplate does not have its own  carbon brush and relies solely on this brush for the earth return. This is why some brass points plate have their own brush, some don't. Its a case of belt and braces, or just a belt. Not saying this is the answer, but something else to consider.

Anything which alters the height of the needle jet in relation to the fuel level needs careful scrutiny. The jet block needs to be seated fully. Check the parts are the right ones for your carby, and the basic assembly is correct, as in the parts diagram, regarding the position of any sealing washers.

Swarfy.

ironhead

« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2019 07:45 »
G'day orabanda & swarfy.
Not the float needle, the jet block ( venturi) holder. It pushes out when the small locating screw on the r/h side &
big nut on the bottom of the main carby body is removed. This has a fibre washer & will cause richness if it doesn't seal properly.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.05. 2019 08:49 »

.......This has a fibre washer & will cause richness if it doesn't seal properly....

I'm fairly sure mine has a really thin paper gasket
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2019 08:26 »
Hi Thanks
for tips, already checked the other brush (ok) , did have trouble w/- the jet block, think I may have distorted it getting  it out, when I put the jet holder back it wouldn't seal  on account it wasn't square will look into  it, don't remember a gasket either
Barry
WA

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 21.05. 2019 05:46 »
whats the provenance of the monoblock, might have a wrong needle or worn needle jet. check your float levels and consider getting a new correct needle and needle jet from amal, there are some dodgy non genuine jets and needles around that will cause pain.
Is the carb relatively new?  Has this problem been a constant?
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 28.05. 2019 01:52 »
Hi Mates
I think I have fixed it , it didn't have the thin paper gasket under the slide block and I was weaking to compensate, I'm going on a 80ks runs this am, will get back PM to tell how it went...., RE, the old needle jet I took out  had "Amal"  the same number on it and was chrome plated , had  about .010 thou' bigger  hole than the new one , I have a feeling  it wasn't genuine
all the best  Barry
WA

Offline richard boys

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 03.07. 2020 12:34 »
hi just rebuilt a 389 no gasket [ the thin one between the the jet block and housing] the rebuild kit i got had a note inside " thick rubber 'o' ring no gasket thin o ring paper gasket " the carb i rebuilt did look like no one had ever touched it since new no rounded or bured  screws nuts or flanges ; other 376 monoblocks i have had that paper gasket and they had large  "o" rings  ,
57 RR, 61 SR motor