Author Topic: BSA? Ariel? or ? Mystery front fender, Please help ID  (Read 428 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
I got this from a local guy who is into early Triumphs mostly and focusing in on prewar Trumpets.  I forget where he got the fender from but has not been able to ID it.  (He also has an early Girder fork we think is Ariel, but came from a different source).  There is some features on this that lead me to believe me to think its BSA but some thoughts it could be Ariel as well.  Or....?  We could be totally wrong.

I laid it on a 18 inch tire and the curvature would work for a 18" or 19"  Its approx 5" wide (Narrower for the fork cutouts/indents) clearly its for a front end.  Has a hole in the rear for either a stay or stand but its single hole.  The strap for mounting in the middle is riveted on with large domed rivets.  4 closely spaced rivets to the rear and 2 in the front side securing the strap/fender mount.  It has 2 holes in the front for a fender bracket support and there is raised bosses and holes for a pedestrian slicer but they are filled with a rivet in each hole blanking them off.

The rib is peaked and narrow, not wide and flat like a triumph, Some BSA have a similar rib, but most I see are flattened slightly and not as peaked as this is.  The nose of the fender is ribbed or beaded  but the back end is sharp edged without a bead.

Finish is flat black and scarred, underside is silver-ish and greenish tint,(looks more gray/grey in the photo) possibly over a green Zinc Chromate primer?  Unknown if either color indicates original.

I would very much appreciate an ID of this mystery tin.   Pete gave it to me in a conditional trade, but caveat is I have to ID it  first.  I might use it on a BSA bitsa single ZB Goldie,, but if its for a rare application we might consider a sympathy sale but not marketing it.  See pix attch.

Thanks in advance
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
Re: BSA? Ariel? or ? Mystery front fender, Please help ID
« Reply #1 on: 29.05. 2019 02:06 »
Hi guys just another poster to add to Sluggo,s, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: BSA? Ariel? or ? Mystery front fender, Please help ID
« Reply #2 on: 30.05. 2019 00:09 »
I *THINK* I have solved or partially solved the mystery.  I posted in several forums and lists as well as my private email contacts....  *help* *dunno*  (Sheesh... that guy again!) 

But got several private PMs and it appears that early 50s or perhaps even late 40s Matchless used something strikingly similar.  We have a 1940s Norton ES2 and its fender is similar but different.  I was so sure it was Ariel or BSA though I discounted Matchless after looking at several models.  (Thanks to all who responded).

Its possible other makes and models used these, as some manufacturers used common sources but at this point calling it early AJS or Matchless.   I DID fail to use resources though, and while going thru a stack of mail, Noticed the recent issue of the "Jampot" the UK based Matchless and AJS club magazine/newsletter and it appears,,,,,,, right under my nose, there is a bike on the cover with a similar if not the same fender.
(Early G9, but I got an email that a fellow has the same on a 1950 AJS).

And lastly for KiwiProm.  Correct,,, I have several Goldies, however, the problem is getting parts and they are getting exceedingly expensive so likely in the near future I will be selling one of them that still needs parts and focusing in more viable ones.  (48-49 Bitsa ZB GS,52 ZB GS, 54 CB GS, 55 CB GS, 56 DB GS)  But a great picture, I slurped it... and one in return.

RIP Roslaw Z, Creator of the iconic British Steel imagery for JP.  (Rob Halford is pushing his 70s and we saw them in Feb, they  are coming back to my area in June and put most bands to shame, People walked out of the last show dazed, befuddled and blood coming from their ears.  Maybe it was opener Saxon who contributed)

See: https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/judas-priests-british-steel-story-behind-cover-art
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.