Author Topic: 51 plunger crinkle hub conundrum !!  (Read 2147 times)

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
Re: 51 plunger crinkle hub conundrum !!
« Reply #30 on: 05.06. 2019 06:21 »
dear all

after all that fuss about part numbers and lathe work, the solution was a simple one.
I put a car jack inbetween the rear footrest mounts and opened up the frame a bit.
after removal the frame was seen to have the correct width between the plungers
and the rear axle went in with the brake drum just right.

the next stage will be for me to rebuild a new wheel onto the hub i have. And that will mean paintingthe hub first so i will need to find the right color !

More soon.

Many thanks for all the help advice and encouragement....invaluable !!

best
JW

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 05.06. 2019 14:37 »

J-Dub, unrelated specifically to yours, I sometimes ponder the Plunger geometry as I'm trekkin' about on mine, and the other week I concluded that if the columns are out of parallel or general alignment in any way- like in the same plane fore and aft (eyeballing across), I reckon the chance of wear is greatly increased.....jus sumfin to keep in mind  *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
« Reply #32 on: 05.06. 2019 18:40 »

J-Dub, unrelated specifically to yours, I sometimes ponder the Plunger geometry as I'm trekkin' about on mine, and the other week I concluded that if the columns are out of parallel or general alignment in any way- like in the same plane fore and aft (eyeballing across), I reckon the chance of wear is greatly increased.....jus sumfin to keep in mind  *conf2*

i dont doubt it !
i had a 54 plunger years ago which i think had well clapped out plungers, the wheel would hop about all over the road in corners, but this 51 has all new parts and will get a very low mileage