Author Topic: Gerry's a10 saga continues after a loooong break  (Read 531 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
Hi all, I thought it was about time I got back on 'ere to give an update on my Gold Flash.
Well I eventually found the problem with the weak combustion on the left cylinder....after swapping heads back and forwards a few times with negative results. In desperation I decided to mike up the solid copper head gasket and found the left side (could have been the right side if I had turned it over at any time) was 0.008" thinner than the right side, go figure. New head gasket and all came good but.....ever since the only way I can start it is with the throttle wide open. Tick over is good and she runs great but starting is a pain in the butt and on occasion have taken it in turns with others in the BSA Club of SA. Anyway, about March last year on a club run through the Adelaide Hills, couldn't make a hairpin and hit the Armco, threw me over it onto my back, the bike ran along the Armco and fell over. I was ok other than a sore hip the following day. Fortunately I was covered and the insurance co forked out the $10K for repairs. So I am back on the road again at last.
Cheers Gerry

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Gerry's a10 saga continues after a loooong break
« Reply #1 on: 26.05. 2019 09:14 »
Ouch.
Glad to hear all is well.
Who was the insurance through
Look forward to saying he;;o in November, already booked the rooms, just waiting for the application forms to come out.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.05. 2019 09:38 »
Wow, sorry about the prang! I nearly had the same thing happen to me when the bend was tighter than I thought. My leg was down ready for the bike to slide away. I dare not touch the brake. Nasty moment.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 26.05. 2019 13:50 »
Hi again fellas, Insurance was through Shannons and I cannot praise them highly enough. They paid out almost immediately after the assessment was done, even paid for a new helmet (old one was only 6 months old!!) and boots. How the hell I managed to raise my left leg over the barrier I don't know, landed on my back after knocking over a sign post. I think that's why I had the sore hip for a week or so. Due to my doing the repairs myself I had enough funds left for a tacho inner timing cover, oil pump worm with tacho drive, tacho and cable. I also managed to pick up a rocket for the front guard (fender) but not cheap. So I now have a replica Rocket. I still need to fit an oil filter which I have in the form of a "British Filters" unit as fitted to the WD B40 and B25 but where to fit it is not easy. I don't think its compact enough to go in the toolbox but I like to carry a few tools and spare plugs anyway. I'll do a bit of research here and see what clever fellas have done.
Cheers Gerry

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 26.05. 2019 19:56 »
G'day Gerry.
I also sing the praises of Shannons. One bike and one car accident and storm damage to the house claims paid within a week. Like you I did the repairs myself so there was $$$ left over for a few goodies. My old saying was "I can heal for free, the bike costs $$$ to fix". These days I don't bounce and heal as well *doh*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 27.05. 2019 00:53 »
Ohhh dear...   memories come flooding back...  I did much the same BUT no Armco, I hip & shouldered a embankment at 80K's..   *doh*
The bike was a write off & Shannon's payed out the agreed value a couple of days later..  *loveit*
So I purchased the bike back, & repairs cost $3k's leaving me with $15k's for other things..  *wink2*
Glad your ok & back on the forum..   *smiley4*

'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 27.05. 2019 03:34 »
Hi Wazza, Yes doing the repairs yourself can leave you with a few $ to spend on goodies. My repairs were quite extensive. Tank, forks, toolbox, guards, rear shocks, exhausts and mufflers, headlight ears and more I can't think of at this time, got a brand new old stock genuine BSA tank. Oh yes I also replaced the wiring loom with a genuine cloth bound Lucas one. At my age I find I can't spend as much time in one go as I used to plus other things take up my time so the repairs were a long drawn out process. Over a year. The guards repairs alone cost $700 with out the cost of the tin bashing.
Cheers  Gerry