Author Topic: Mystery Girder fork, Ariel? BSA? or???? Please help ID  (Read 474 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
* This may not be A7-A10 centric enough. My intent is to reach the knowledge base of the list members here, especially those in the UK and Oz & Kiwi land as more likely some of you know the more obscure early stuff than us yanks in the US.  If this is the wrong section, no worries if mods want to relocate it. (And my apologies)

He is hoping to positively ID it, and what model it would go to.  ( he might be right or wrong on the Ariel part.  I myself was wrong once, My wife reminds my all the time about that one)

He is not marketing it, rather hoping to get a positive ID. But if someone really needs it for their project, there could be a sympathy sale but he is more interested in Pre-unit Triumph stuff.

Any feedback or ideas welcome.  * I have more photos including close ups of the stem, and rockers and handle bar risers, But if you want to see them PM me.  I am including 2 resized side shots here.

Subject: Re: Update on the mystery fender.  (Matchless???)

That’s awesome! Good investigative work Doug! So can you use it? Or is it better passed along to someone restoring a Matchless? No worries either way- I'm good swapping it or selling. Whatever is clever.

So, on the girder fork, I’m 99% sire it’s Ariel, most likely from 1939-1946 based on the check springs or auxiliary springs. Not sure if it’s Square 4 or Red Hunter or?

They came from the same collection as the Manx and International, mostly 1930s to early 1950’s stuff, and had Triumph “Race Kit” bars with 15/16” throttle on them when I got them. Here’s a few pics of the Girder
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Re: Mystery Girder fork, Ariel? BSA? or???? Please help ID
« Reply #1 on: 06.06. 2019 22:36 »
 *eek*topic has now been moved twice, last night and now. I didnt even know this board exists,,,eh well, Purgatory it is. 
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.06. 2019 23:13 »
I know some Norton girders had those rebound (?) springs on them.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2019 23:28 »
That is true, In fact from another source I just heard of someone with a Norton WD model that has a similar fork.  For Triumphs, 39 didnt have them but very rare 1940s models did. I have a friend with one of the nearly last Triumphs that left the factory and was shipped to Trev Deeleys dealership in BC Canada.  Toms bike has the spring as well.

So point is,,, there is a number of bikes that have similar front ends.. Pete says the details are the pinch arrangement at the top and the diameter and taper of the legs, at least he thinks so.. Says he has been comparing them to diagrams on Draganflys site.  I have close up details of the alleged finer points that apparently differentiate each version.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 07.06. 2019 10:03 »
I know for sure the rebound springs are post 2000.  *sarcastic*
Yes the boss has been doing some late spring cleaning  *work* and started this section.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7