Author Topic: Headlight unit problem  (Read 1363 times)

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
Headlight unit problem
« on: 15.06. 2019 13:44 »
Bit of help required please chaps. I have a 1954 Shooting Star with a cowl and inside that a headlight. The headlight shell (see pic) looks like it's come from a 1970's A65 or something like that, with holes for three idiot lights and an on/off switch. Whoever restored the bike probably used it because it was shallower than standard and therefore didn't hit the speedo drive (second picture).

My problem is that I'm trying to fit a new 7inch headlight with an H4 bulb - the existing headlight is badly rusted and basically knackered. The extra depth of the H4 bulb holder means the headlight is too deep for the shell. It can poke through the cutaway in the back, but then fouls on the speedo cable. Even when I revert to the standard setup, it's a very tight fit.

I wondered if there's someone out there with the same cowl who could explain what the standard setup looks like. From pictures it looks like the standard shell is deeper, yet somehow it avoids the speedo cable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Headlight unit problem
« Reply #1 on: 15.06. 2019 14:36 »
I hope this helps:
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 15.06. 2019 14:55 »
The proper headlight cowl has two holes top and bottom. A rubber tube with a rubber flange on each end forms a passage from one hole to the other and the speedo drive runs through this. I know because I've just put mine together. The rubber tube (parts book calls it a grommet, which I suppose is correct) is part 19-2126. I have attached two images one is from the parts book showing the grommet - numbered 19. The other is my headlamp shell showing the two ends of the grommet. My shell is actually the wrong one because it doesn't have the underslung pilot light, but I'm just going to use a standard one in the reflector.
Draganfly are out of stock of headlamp shells but they say you may have to cut the holes for the grommet. anyway.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 15.06. 2019 14:56 »
Oops! Too late.  *smiley4*
That's a very nice gold coloured tube Greybeard.
Does your headlamp have the underslung pilot or is it in the reflector?
Adrian.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.06. 2019 15:16 »
Steve, Yes, the problem is all down to the non standard speedo. The original chronometric is shallower, and has the cable and panel lamp holder offset. GB's photos show what it should look like.  Your  non standard speedo is deeper and puts the cable slap bang where the back of the original headlamp shell will end up.  To do it properly will cost a lot, with a genuine chronometric, or dirt cheap with an Indian repro.  Sacrificing your original shell with a bit of backyard fabrication to clear the obstructions is a good short term fix while you decide what to do.

Swarfy.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.06. 2019 16:16 »
That's a very nice gold coloured tube Greybeard.
Not gold; must be the lighting
Does your headlamp have the underslung pilot or is it in the reflector?
Mine is a '55 machine; the pilot bulb is inside the lens. The underslung pilot lens was an earlier design. That lens gives me the impression of a design bodge! Did previous models have the same thing?

I can remember when I was a kid, you were allowed to park on the road at night as long as the vehicle had a small bulb lit. Cars could have a little bracket holding a tiny bulb, with red and white lenses that clipped onto one of the side windows. A wiggly wire was taken to the battery and croc-clipped on. I managed to find a picture of a typical design.
Maybe BSA asked Lucas to add a pilot bulb for this purpose to the bottom of the headlamp as a stop-gap design. Putting it inside the reflector must have been cheaper.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 15.06. 2019 16:40 »
Good - thanks. I'll get a reflector with pilot bulb . I think it's a standard Lucas part.
Yes we used to have a clip on sidelight. Only ever used it on holiday when we had to park on the street. At home we had a back street to park on. We didn't get a car till I was 11 anyway. An old (even then) MG Magnette.
Adrian

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 15.06. 2019 17:00 »
Thanks to all. That explains everything. I was wondering if there was some kind of 90 degree drive to the speedo, but Greybeard's excellent photos reveal all. I appreciate the very quick and detailed response. As a gesture of reciprocity I'll be posting about Slosh tank sealer in the appropriate section - Frame etc.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.06. 2019 17:41 »
Yes we used to have a clip on sidelight. Only ever used it on holiday when we had to park on the street. At home we had a back street to park on.
Same here. Dad's car was garaged when we were home.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 15.06. 2019 21:01 »
Sadly Swarfy, all the repro speedos seem to be like mine - deeper and with the drive connection in the middle. You're right about the price, they are cheap! I think I'll have to stick with the current bodge until I can find the correct headlamp shell and afford a real speedo, instead of the copy I've clearly got. Bit of a bugger.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.06. 2019 23:43 »

....... The headlight shell (see pic) looks like it's come from a 1970's A65 or something like that, with holes for three idiot lights and an on/off switch. ......

I agree, but the holes don't look in the places I remember
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 16.06. 2019 08:08 »
On reflection, I think you're right. The idiot lights were on the top. It was the shape that was reminiscent with the shallow shell with a flat back.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.06. 2019 09:31 »

On reflection, I think you're right. The idiot lights were on the top. It was the shape that was reminiscent with the shallow shell with a flat back.

nah I'm wrong (again).. I did a search and it seems that it's how the Conical series buckets are- It just looks different from that angle
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 16.06. 2019 18:12 »
If any enterprising Indian makes a replica Chrono with the cable entry off-set he'd make a fortune.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 18.06. 2019 09:19 »
If any enterprising Indian makes a replica Chrono with the cable entry off-set he'd make a fortune.
Hi Guys, I have seen the Indian repos' that are the same depth as the original chronometrics on Feebay recently. Hard to tell the difference from the back. From the front they don't have the trip numbers. Gerry