Author Topic: Oil pressure relief valve  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Oil pressure relief valve
« on: 23.06. 2019 07:59 »
Good morning gents
I have noticed that I have a non standard OPR valve on my 52 plunger A10, with a plunger on the outside of it, like the SRM ones or the Triumph type. I've read that these may operate at a higher pressure than the standard ones which I can see causing issues, however the one I have fitted seems to be working as the indicator on the outside pops up as soon as the engine is running. Is it supposed to open even at idle or do I have a problem? I only noticed this yesterday after fitting an oil filter into the return line (what a pain in the head that was, not much room for it on the plunger).
Cheers guys
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil pressure relief valve
« Reply #1 on: 23.06. 2019 08:44 »
Oil pressure will be highest with a stone cold engine. This is a relief valve, so popping out on start up shows you have oil pressure. Whether it moves in and out in use I don't know...ask the Triton Thrasher! I see Mosin is running a Triple, he'll know.

There are two types of Triumph valve. A fine gauze weak spring version used on all bikes except the triples, which have a stronger spring and a coarse gauze to aid identification. This will be the higher pressure type you have read about. Interchangeable so possible errors with inapproriate application.

Plenty of pictures available, try CBS website, US based old brit bike blog, featuring Triumph Service Bulletins. Google search Triumph Bonneville PRV Operation

Bit late now but  the gap between plunger mudguard front and frame vertical tube is a good place for the filter. Toolbox fitment is too much hassle for me, sod originality, I go for simplicity. Easy access, oil runs a bit cooler, no contest.

Swarfy.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2019 10:23 »
Bit late now but  the gap between plunger mudguard front and frame vertical tube is a good place for the filter. Toolbox fitment is too much hassle for me, sod originality, I go for simplicity. Easy access, oil runs a bit cooler, no contest.
I did this.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.06. 2019 11:23 »
Swarfy, thanks for that, I’ll look into it. It was on start up that I noticed it and didn’t think to check later. I suppose being cold the oils thicker thus higher pressure.
GB, that’s where I’ve mounted mine but made a bracket to fit onto one of the mudguard stays, I’ll swap it onto the other stay and make new lines next oil change to make it easier to get the filter out.
Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.06. 2019 11:53 »
Swarfy, thanks for that, I’ll look into it. It was on start up that I noticed it and didn’t think to check later. I suppose being cold the oils thicker thus higher pressure.
GB, that’s where I’ve mounted mine but made a bracket to fit onto one of the mudguard stays, I’ll swap it onto the other stay and make new lines next oil change to make it easier to get the filter out.
Cheers
Jase
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=6314.msg44008#msg44008
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 23.06. 2019 16:08 »
GB
That looks a very neat job there. I couldn’t mount mine like that cos I have a centre rib on the mudguard which makes the space available too small for the filter.
Where do you get your filters? The head I bought came with a Champion filter with white print all around it, would prefer a plain black one next time.

Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.06. 2019 16:12 »
Been out for a quick ride to Ironbridge, while I was out I took a look at the OPR valve, on start up it does open but after the bikes warm it settles back to closed and gently opens and closes with revs, so that looks to be doing what it’s meant to.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.06. 2019 17:38 »
GB
That looks a very neat job there. I couldn’t mount mine like that cos I have a centre rib on the mudguard which makes the space available too small for the filter.
Where do you get your filters? The head I bought came with a Champion filter with white print all around it, would prefer a plain black one next time.

Jase
*good3*
I buy the filters from Feked.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.06. 2019 18:58 »