Author Topic: project assembly  (Read 476 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
project assembly
« on: 01.07. 2019 13:47 »
As promised, an update on the project. Sorted how the front wheel went together and got the wheels on. Still a shed load of stuff to do (rear shockers, modify petrol tank to clear front carb, find out why the oil tank leaks (just bloody repaired it  *conf*) and finish modifying starter rollers. I'll not be finishing the exhausts until I'm sure it's a runner.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: project assembly
« Reply #1 on: 01.07. 2019 19:11 »
Looking good!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 01.07. 2019 21:18 »
G'day RD, nice work mate.
You must have a very long shoe horn  *smile*.
Are those SR/XT heads?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.07. 2019 10:23 »
No shoehorn, but lots of patience! Was lucky it fitted without too much bother. Only frame mod I did was to put an extra tube between bottom rails for a rear engine mounting. The heads are both XT and SR. Couldn't get a pair at the time, so upgraded the XT to SR spec (eg bigger inlet valve) and trimmed the fins on the SR. Added weirs to the cam troughs to ensure cams had enough oil with the new lean angle.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.11. 2019 16:12 »
Update Nov: month or so ago ran bike on rollers with plugs out to check it was pumping oil etc. Tried to start it and wrecked the drive motor of the rollers. Well, guess it wasn't substantial enough. Tried kick-starting it. No chance, couldn't get it over compression. Thinking about it over a few days I recalled Vincents had a kickstart about ten feet long, so cut mine and let in 3 ins. Now it would kick over. Tried starting again and got a few pops from the rear cylinder. I figured given the 60* configuration the spark would be weak on the front cyl but that it would chime in pretty quickly as my other twin does. So tried again today - this time my son having a go (6ft 4in & 17st). Having already established the ultimate advance position I set it at that, full choke on both carbs, decompressed front cyl and invited him to give it a go. 2nd kick produced firing on rear cyl so I put it to full advance and indicated for him to release the decompressor. Wow. A mighty roar and sounding sweet as a nut. Had to stop it though, as oil gauge not registering. It did previously when motoring over on the rollers, so next job is to investigate. Couple of other jobs to do first, though, like fix the handbrake on my van. But mighty pleased with its first run. Once I've got it running with oil pressure on gauge I'll see if I can post a clip of it running.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #5 on: 25.11. 2019 17:13 »
Whoever gave you a Meccano set when you were a nipper has got a lot to answer for. It's looking really great , nice work.
 *yeah* *loveit* *respect*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.11. 2019 17:31 »
Blimey, that must have been a superb experience! Well done you legend.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2019 18:12 »
Thanks Neil, sure was but definitely not a legend. Nothing more than any competent mechanical engineer could do, and there’s a few on this forum. Started the engine project almost three decades ago but it just got left on the bench until a year ago when, now in my 70’s, thought I’d better finish it otherwise it’d eventually get thrown away unfinished. ‘twas very pleasing though to hear it not only run for the first time, but so clean and crisp. Soon as we dumped the front cyl decompressor it shot to about 2,500 rpm, no splutter, cough or anything. I was amazed. Sounded like a bike on the start line waiting for the green light! Well, the sound was helped by the exhaust stubs being only a foot long – after sorting the oil issue making up an exhaust system will be the next job. Didn’t want to start doing all that until I knew it was a runner.