Author Topic: Someone who can setup an A10  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jeffgleed

• Active
Someone who can setup an A10
« on: 02.07. 2019 11:28 »
Hi all

I live in Bristol and I think I need to find someone who can reliably setup my Gold Flash. I have had quite a bit of work done to it but it's still not running properly:

1) It randomly spits back at tickover which often causes it to stop without warning. In between the tick-over is rock stable.
2) The plugs are black and very sooty so it's running rich somewhere but not sure if it's pilot jet, main jet, slide etc etc.
3) I replaced the plugs which helped but it started misfiring on the way to work this morning riding along a dual carriageway but it didn't affect the tickover. This may be related to me forgetting to turn the fuel on 2 mins previously, maybe I have gunge in the carb (I only thought of that when I was typing!).

I thought the problems could be magneto related so I had electronic ignition fitted. This helps but the problem is still there. The bike had a new Monobloc fitted a couple of years back. The bike shop suggested a Concentric as "they run better" but we went for the Monobloc for originality. Maybe this was a mistake?

I could fiddle with the carb but I don't really know what I am doing so I am thinking I should find someone who can properly sort it and then I just have to keep it running.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Jeff
59 A10

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: Someone who can setup an A10
« Reply #1 on: 02.07. 2019 18:42 »
Hi Jeff. Have similar issues with mine and also live in Bristol. Welcome to the forum, it's great. Will be following this with interest, could do with getting one of the wise ones (you know who you are) to come down to Bristol for a weekend. Have shaken the money tree (again) and ordered a new carb myself. Hope to meet up someday and share the pain. What part of Briz are you at?
 *welcome* *bash* *good3* *beer* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 02.07. 2019 22:00 »
Hi Jeff, the monobloc is a good choice. I have a new monobloc on the SA and a concentric on the plunger. The monobloc is smoother through the revs while the concentric feels  much more nervous. Try some experimenting with different jets. In spite of having ordered the monobloc with the “correct” jetting, I had to change the pilot jet because of a spit back when opening up the throttle from tickover and had to do some experimenting with the needle height. I also changed the slide from a 3 to a 3 1/2
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.07. 2019 09:14 »
 Big Jim and Jeff.   In the world of carbys, the AMAL Monobloc  has to be one of the simplest to set up and maintain. Taking one to bits is straightforward, with plenty of workshop detail available. The most difficult aspect is removing the jet block from the body, but warming the body and gentle persuasion will do it.

As a first step I would identify what you have and compare with what you should have. All the details are here on the Forum, just a case of searching. Has the bike got the right carb, with the right jets, needle and slide? The main jet simply unscrews from the needle jet, which itself unscrews from the jet block. Sediment will collect under the main jet and can give partial blockage and poor running, with the lower cap removed these can be checked without removing the carb from the engine. Just catch the fuel as it drains out. Lowering the needle in the slide will give a weaker mixture. The top retaining ring will unscrew with a bit of luck and the slide, needle and choke assembly pull out.  Make sure all the gaskets and fibre washers are present and correct. The fuel level in the float chamber can be easily checked, forum postings tell how. Take great care on re assembly, as threads in the soft Mazac alloy castings are easily damaged by cross threading.

There is a single mesh filter in the fuel inlet banjo, but adding cheap inline filters to each fuel line is a good idea. Changing the carb is a bit drastic, even mix'n'match parts can be made to perform reasonably well and produce a reliable unit.

Swarfy.

Offline jeffgleed

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 03.07. 2019 14:27 »
Thanks Guys, that gives me more confidence in the Monobloc.

The bike was really hard work to nurse home yesterday so I decided to have a look at a couple of things. The plugs were black as anything (soot not oil fortunately). I cleaned them up with carb cleaner (which worked great). I restarted the bike and unwound the pilot air screw (as per the Amal instructions). Amazingly (if you are new to this like me), the bike ticked over as stable as anything and the whole bike felt happier. It was obviously running very rich.  I rode it in to work again this morning and it ran perfectly, nice steady tick-over and everything. I am not entirely convinced I won't have to tackle some other bits (jets etc) but the throttle pickup is way better and it runs smoother everywhere so its a start. The only down side is its harder to start but I am going to play around with Choke etc to see if I can work around that. Otherwise I may have to richen it up a tad. I am going to take another look at the plugs at the weekend to see how its getting on. Although the bike is a standard A10 GF it's got a 2-1 exhaust and no air cleaner so the carb settings are presumably not standard. It is a new-ish Amal Monobloc (18 months old) fitted by Charlies in Bristol.

Hi BigJim, I live in Westbury-on-Trym, what about you? Do you ever go to the BSAOC meetings? I haven't so far but it might be interesting.

Thanks again

Jeff
59 A10

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.07. 2019 17:50 »

G'day Jeff- if you haven't already tried it, the primer plunger (tickler) on the top of the bowl raises the fuel level in the float bowl and richens the mix for starting, just tickle it until it's a bit moist  (push it until fuel starts to come out of it or the end of the carb)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.07. 2019 18:06 »
As  duTch says, for a cold engine tickle (flood) the carb, then choke full on and little or no throttle. If you do over choke it, choke off, wide throttle to clear. Choke is off with the cable tight, raising the choke valve, an easy mistake for the unwary.

Open bellmouth is fine if you like spending money on rebores and pistons, even a sponge type filter as a minimum is a sensible addition. I learnt the hard way, a nice set of pistons scored and honed to useless by unfiltered grit air!

Swarfy.

Additional. Depending on ambient temperature, the choke can usually be fully opened once the engine has started.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.07. 2019 06:47 »
Just to add to those notes - my bike fires up easily on just the tickler, I rarely use the choke at all. You might suppose that this would suggest that it is set up a bit rich, but it runs very nicely as is.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.07. 2019 09:00 »
On a cold winter day I may have to use choke but summer time it is not required; I just give the old girl a tickle.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.07. 2019 12:08 »
I just give the old girl a tickle.

Does she like it ?
I gave the dog a tickle but it didn't affect the bike.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #10 on: 04.07. 2019 23:55 »
Hi Jeff, have sent a pm.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride